New York Governor- 2014- Astornio vs Cuomo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York Governor- 2014- Astornio vs Cuomo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: New York Governor- 2014- Astornio vs Cuomo  (Read 19634 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »

Considering the source Cuomo is probably fine.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2014, 06:19:01 PM by cinyc »

Actually given Cuomo's ethics issues, I wouldn't be surprised if Teachout won... The problem is she wouldn't beat Astorino in a General election.

Teachout isn't winning anything unless Cuomo is found in bed with a dead girl.  Even then, it probably wouldn't matter because he's not married.  This ethics scandal probably won't amount to much.  Astorino and Teachout simply don't have the money to publicize it on TV.  The Democratic party is currently trying to paint Astorino as unethical for giving jobs to the politically connected in recent ads.
NickCT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »

Actually given Cuomo's ethics issues, I wouldn't be surprised if Teachout won... The problem is she wouldn't beat Astorino in a General election.

Teachout isn't winning anything unless Cuomo is found in bed with a dead girl.  Even then, it probably wouldn't matter because he's not married.  This ethics scandal probably won't amount to much.  Astorino and Teachout simply don't have the money to publicize it on TV.  The Democratic party is currently trying to paint Astorino as unethical for giving jobs to the politically connected in recent ads.

Yeah, the only thing Teachout has going for her is its a primary and her voters will probably make sure to vote, but Cuomo will be able to turnout enough to win.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rob-astorino-struggles-to-capitalize-on-new-york-gov-andrew-cuomos-plummeting-poll-numbers-1407189647
NickCT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »

Why is Cuomo wasting his time going after Teachout's residency?  Or is he not wasting his time and he feels threatened by her??
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »

Why is Cuomo wasting his time going after Teachout's residency?  Or is he not wasting his time and he feels threatened by her??

Because he'd rather not face a primary if he doesn't have to.  Not doing as well as expected in a Democratic primary could hurt Cuomo's Presidential aspirations.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Certainly a long shot, but given the recent corruption questions surrounding Cuomo, is it possible that Teachout could have a better-than-expected showing in the primary?  I'm not suggesting she wins, I think that would require an upset even greater than Cantor's loss, but what if she gets around 40% of the vote, that would be very significant, I would imagine, in the GE, but I suppose Teachout voters would never back the Republican...

Really?? Is there even any polling?

Nope. It's really all a question of turnout. Cuomo's fans are de-energized by the scandal, and the leftists who always disliked him are energized. This is the kind of primary that generally goes badly for incumbents.

That being said, NY is so big that I sort of doubt it'll happen. But he could get an embarrassing 10-point victory that basically ends him as a national candidate.

I'm not sure what would happen in a Teachout vs. Astorino general election. New York is pretty inelastic these days, but would the public really vote for an activist with no experience for governor of one of the US' biggest states?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »

Yes. It's New York.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »

The big race is the race for LG. Downstaters don't know anything about Hochul, and Wu could potentially win that race based on demographics and other factors.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »

Hahah, a Cuomo/Wu ticket would be hilarious. I don't think Wu will come anywhere close, but he'll probably win all the Asian NYC precincts.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »

I hope Teachout pulls out a miracle and wins this, then Hawkins and Teachout can combine forces and she would become governor
NickCT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2014, 07:51:19 PM »

I hope Teachout pulls out a miracle and wins this, then Hawkins and Teachout can combine forces and she would become governor

Cuomo is still on the Working Families Party's line, isn't he?  He could run a strong campaign from there, I feel.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »

Cuomo is still on the Working Families Party's line, isn't he?  He could run a strong campaign from there, I feel.

If he did that, I think the split would make Astorino Governor.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »

That would be comic. It seems like had this been any other state Cuomo would have fallen behind, but this is New York...
xavier110
United States
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »

Any Dem who votes for Cuomo is pathetic - a pathetic voter, citizen and Democrat. http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/takingnote/2014/08/07/does-zephyr-teachout-live-in-new-york-the-governor-wants-to-know/

Telling all my family members to vote for her (if she even makes the ballot) and then Hawkins in the general if she loses.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »

By all means, vote for Teachout!
NickCT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

I like Teachout.  I admire her for taking on the establishment and I like her thoughts on campaign finance reform.  I don't know if I could vote for her, but I respect her a great deal.
Panda Express

« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »

Cuomo loses court case to have Teachout off the ballot

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5669241?utm_hp_ref=politics
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »

Glorious news... I hope. Last time I hoped for a too-radical Democrat to win a primary in New York, we ended up with Mayor de Blasio.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies