How much do you know about your local politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:52:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How much do you know about your local politics?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How much do you know about your local politics?  (Read 3429 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »

It's interesting to see how well people follow national politics, but are then relatively uninformed on state and local personalities and their politics. It's interesting since in my experience far more of the decisions that affect most Americans are made at the state and local level. Education, transportation, and economic development are all basically functions of state and local decisions. Even tax policy is controlled as much at the local level with property and sales taxes as it is by federal income and payroll taxes.

Actually, I was hoping you'd post in this thread, since you're a sitting member of a legislature. Without divulging too much, what could you shed light on for the rest of us?

Also, I agree with your point. I feel that the federal government barely affects me at all, while the Utah state government/legislature is invasive and irritating. I wish local personalities would be covered more, we have a few interesting personalities here (like the aforementioned Jim Dabakis).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »

Simcha Felder and his ship of fools are RUINING EVERYTHING! Also, up until two days ago, I thought the mayor was black. Turns out, I was totally incorrect.

I live in Simcha Felder's district.  Shoot me now.

Gladly!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »

I am actually extremely involved with my local politics.  I go to all of the Democratic Clubs meetings in Charles County and am a founding member of the Southern Maryland Young Democrats.  I also regularly speak with my state delegates and county commissioners on a pretty regular basis.  In addition there is talk of redesigning our county government and I'm hoping to be appointed as a youth member to that commission by our County Commissioners.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »

A lot.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »

I follow Barrow County politics very closely, as it's where I grew up (and still the location of my "permanent address"). My family is marginally affiliated with the social circle that's basically the area's "good old boy" network. The school board includes a neighbor's uncle, a friend's dad, and my brother's old football coach; the county commission includes my mom's old boss's business partner, the dad of a girl who attended Tulane with me, and a daily patron of the coffee shop my dad always goes to; at one point my family attended the same church as the current Sheriff, and at another point with the current District Attorney; two of the Superior Court judges are former classmate's parents and the Clerk of the Court was a family friend's coworker before getting elected. Oh, and the retiring mayor of the county's largest city is my high school US History teacher's husband.

Basically, my family knows most of the people involved in local politics so we follow it on a personal level and it comes up in conversation fairly often whenever I talk to my parents.

I don't really follow Kennesaw/Cobb County politics much though, but I haven't lived here that long. I followed New Orleans local stuff fairly well because it was generally interesting and amusing, but I didn't follow it nearly as closely as my hometown politics.
Darth Maul
Rockefeller Republican
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »

A large amount know actually allthough its been tough getting used to Japan.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »

Simcha Felder and his ship of fools are RUINING EVERYTHING! Also, up until two days ago, I thought the mayor was black. Turns out, I was totally incorrect.

I live in Simcha Felder's district.  Shoot me now.

Gladly!

I did not vote for him, BTW.  I was still technically a Pennsylvania resident on election day (I actually moved to NY that very week).  And until I checked the new lines again yesterday, I could have sworn I was in Kevin Parker's district instead (the line is just across the street from my apartment).  Of course, Kevin Parker sucks too, seeing as he has a history of punching people who displease him (like traffic cops and Post reporters). 

Urrrrrrgh.  My Assemblywoman, Rhoda Jacobs, is an anonymous liberal and is therefore approximately infinity times better.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »

I'm active in municipal politics and can name all 16 of my city Councillors.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies