Opinion of a so-called "draft-reimbursement-tax"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:27:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of a so-called "draft-reimbursement-tax"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion about it ?
Horrible Tax

Freedom Tax

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Opinion of a so-called "draft-reimbursement-tax"  (Read 1348 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »

In Switzerland, every male that is ruled unfit to serve in the military draft or civil service must pay 3% of his annual wage as a draft-reimbursement-tax until the age of 34, but at least he must pay 350€ a year.

This has been brought up here as well now to fund the Austrian army, that is funded with only 0.6% of the GDP each year.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »

no
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »

In Switzerland, every male that is ruled unfit to serve in the military draft or civil service must pay 3% of his annual wage as a draft-reimbursement-tax until the age of 34, but at least he must pay 350€ a year.
Having a minimal level is of course starkly insane.

Apart from that; this should discourage cheating to get out of the draft. All those unfit athletes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »

What an awful idea.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2013, 07:18:06 AM by DC Al Fine »

The draft itself is terrible. Paying taxes because the government doesn't see fit to make you  a slave is even worse.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »

The draft itself is terrible. Paying taxes because the government doesn't see fit to make you  slave is even worse.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »

I'm not a fan of it as I have to pay the tax myself but I'm not ready to simply dismiss it as a "horrible idea". In a country with universal compulsory military service for men the tax makes sense; at the end of the day, each male citizen directly contributes to the army (or the civilian service) in some form or another.

Also, at least as far as Switzerland is concerned, universal conscription makes sense from the point of view of national cohesion. Indeed, for a sizable number of men the service in the army is one of the few occasions where they closely work with people from other Swiss language regions.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:57 PM »

If considered unfit for military or civil service, how many of these people are even employed?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »

If considered unfit for military or civil service, how many of these people are even employed?

Basically this is not different from the drafted population.

Zuwo and I myself were ruled unfit to serve in the army draft, yet we both have jobs.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »

At least in Germany before conscription was abolished, nearly 50% were ruled "medically unfit". At least here, it had a lot more to do with political motivations thn anything else.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:10:17 AM »

I understand the selectiveness of the military - But what sorts of duties are involved for civil service, and what would lead someone to be considered unfit?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 02:28:54 AM »

I understand the selectiveness of the military - But what sorts of duties are involved for civil service, and what would lead someone to be considered unfit?

Again, can only speak of Germany's former system (until 2011): Civil service was an option for people who were morally opposed to military service. Civil service could not (in theory) simply be chosen.

So anyone who was ruled unfit for the military was not liable for any type of service.

(I'm happy we've stopped this circus.)
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:16 AM »

The fact that Austria has a draft to begin with is kind of silly. It's not like the Turks are on the gates of Vienna.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »

The fact that Austria has a draft to begin with is kind of silly. It's not like the Turks are on the gates of Vienna.

It's not because of the Turks.

Austrians want cheap "slaves" to get rid of the snow in the winter and damage during natural disasters. And because the draft referendum was so nicely connected with the civil service, they also want cheap transporter "slaves" that take them to the hospital or care for them in the retirement homes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »

Well at least you're now using the proper word, Tender Wink
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »

God, Switzerland is ing awful.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »

It's heartbreaking to read such a statement by an almost-compatriot! Really, Britzerland is worth at least a try. We could jazz up your cuisine with tasty cheese and chocolate, teach you good German and French and make sure you have a proper constitution. On the other hand, we would finally have sea access and get a lovely old lady as our head of state. The royal family as a whole isn't too bad of a prospect, either. It's a win-win situation. We can do it together!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

It's heartbreaking to read such a statement by an almost-compatriot! Really, Britzerland is worth at least a try. We could jazz up your cuisine with tasty cheese and chocolate, teach you good German and French and make sure you have a proper constitution. On the other hand, we would finally have sea access and get a lovely old lady as our head of state. The royal family as a whole isn't too bad of a prospect, either. It's a win-win situation. We can do it together!

Isn't a bit insulting for Italian-speakers?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

Isn't a bit insulting for Italian-speakers?

Thanks for reminding me. I tend to forget our charming southern countrymen and women. Italian is another advantage of Britzerland, of course.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

Leftist hypocracy! to venerate the people yet criticize the worlds only direct demo(people)cracy(rule).
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:33:24 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2013, 02:37:27 AM by Leftbehind »

Leftist hypocracy! to venerate the people yet criticize the worlds only direct demo(people)cracy(rule).

I'd stick to trying to spell hypocrisy, before parroting phrases you learnt off US Libertarian Youtube videos to me.

Zuwo: The last thing either Britain or Switzerland needs is more of Bojo and his financier capitalists. Although happy to trade our Royalty for some grubb!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies