Will Barack Obama be remembered as the Democrats' Nixon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:38:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Barack Obama be remembered as the Democrats' Nixon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Will Barack Obama be remembered as the Democrats' Nixon?  (Read 15263 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »

Nixon assembled a winning political coalition based on what was at the time the fastest growing voting bloc (middle class suburban whites) and picking up new coalition groups (Southerners, blue collar whites), and began the long-term dismantling of the New Deal Coalition. Later on, Reagan articulated a vision to keep that coalition together and more or less dealt a death blow to the New Deal Coalition.

Like Nixon, Obama's coalition relies heavily on fast-growing groups (Hispanics, immigrants) and has made inroads in groups that were once the province of Republicans (the Rocky Mountain states, northern Whites). He will likely continue to use fiscal and national security issues in a way that will pit members of the GOP's three-legged stool (social conservatives, fiscal conservatives, and hawks) against each other. Like Nixon, he has an antagonistic relationship with a radicalized opposition party and Americans have a somewhat polarized view of him. Is some other Democrat going to come along in a decade or so who will be the Reagan to Obama's Nixon, who crystallizes that coalition, becomes a near-universally liked figure and kills off Reagan's own long-term coalition?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »

Very possibly, or rather Obama could be the Democrat's Nixon if Nixon hadn't completely destroyed his reputation with Watergate.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »

Very possibly, or rather Obama could be the Democrat's Nixon if Nixon hadn't completely destroyed his reputation with Watergate.

Benghazi fetishists really want to complete the analogy.

Obama could very well be The Democrats' "Nixon done right".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »

The difference between the liberal/Democratic opposition to Nixon and the Republican/conservative opposition to Obama is that the former had an actua case against Nixon that wasn't based on paranoid conspiracy theories. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »

That's what I have been thinking for a while now. Really, the parallel Reagan-Bush41=FDR-Truman, Clinton=Ike, Dubya=JFK/LBJ, Obama=Nixon works impressively well. Following that logic, a moderate Republican should win in 2016 and then be defeated in 2020 by a progressive Democrat who would achieve the realignment. That's going to be pretty fun if it happens. Tongue
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »

That's what I have been thinking for a while now. Really, the parallel Reagan-Bush41=FDR-Truman, Clinton=Ike, Dubya=JFK/LBJ, Obama=Nixon works impressively well. Following that logic, a moderate Republican should win in 2016 and then be defeated in 2020 by a progressive Democrat who would achieve the realignment. That's going to be pretty fun if it happens. Tongue

Only if Obama is convicted of something and Biden becomes President.

Plus, Obama's 2012 win is no 1972.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Christie, then Warren? That'd be goooooooooooood.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

Or Huntsman, then Warren. Or, let's be crazy here: Huntsman, then Bernie Sanders.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:06 PM »

Or Huntsman, then Warren. Or, let's be crazy here: Huntsman, then Bernie Sanders.

I'd like a Democratic Party that worships Bernie Sanders as a god.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »

The difference between the liberal/Democratic opposition to Nixon and the Republican/conservative opposition to Obama is that the former had an actua case against Nixon that wasn't based on paranoid conspiracy theories. 

The common thread is that in both cases the Republicans acted on paranoid conspiracy theories.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:32:01 PM »

I'd like a Democratic Party that worships Bernie Sanders as a god.

He's not my favorite Democratic Senator, but I'd support a Sanders Campaign in any way I can.
Dakota Robertson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »

No because the GOP is pushing Minorities to Obama
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »

I am glad I am not the only noticing the similarities between our decade and the 1970s. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:12:09 PM »

Only if Obama is convicted of something and Biden becomes President.

Plus, Obama's 2012 win is no 1972.

I think you missed the point. Dubya wasn't assassinated in 2003 and replaced by Cheney, in the case you didn't notice.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »

Yes, I've thought about that comparison a lot. It's eerily similar, especially the Ike/Clinton comparison. Both were popular moderates who broke up a period of presidential dominance from the other side. They both presided over happy times in our nation's history and didn't rock the boat, but set the stage for their party's comeback in the near future.
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »

Chris Christie will be the Republican Jimmy Carter.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

Hmmm... to me 2008-2016 feels like 1932-1940, but with the economic crisis delayed until fall 1932.  It also feels a bit like a Bryan win in 1896. 

I think there is a better case for Obama being in the Reagan/FDR/McKinley-T.R. role.  Universal heath care and the banking reforms+finally being able to raise taxes is probably on par with the Reagan and T. Roosevelt economic reforms (although it falls short of the New Deal).  Clinton fits the Nixon or especially the Wilson role better- an economically moderate Democrat breaks a long Republican streak with help from a split field and has a major 2nd term scandal.  W. Bush fits the 1920's Republican mold with lots of scandals and a speculative bubble.   

It all comes down to whether the economy is in a boom by 2016.  If it is, that sets Obama up as FDR.  If the stagnation continues, it points down the Nixon path, but it's going to be a lot harder to bring down a Republican incumbent in 2020 based on the economy, considering what Obama got away with last year.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »

The Democratic Reagan...? Tongue
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »

The Democratic Reagan...? Tongue

Oh, anybody. My liberal fantasy is Al Franken or Bernie Sanders
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

You are not the first to make such an analogy.  The language of the OP implies a belief in Six-Step Cycle Theory.

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

There's even been a book written on this subject.  I'd include a link if this site let me.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »

Sanders will be 79 in 2020, just throwing that out there.  Unfortunately, I think he might be a bit like the Goldwater of this analogy, except that he'll most likely never be a nominee.  I think the Democratic Reagan will be someone like Warren or hopefully maybe Baldwin, though the latter might be a tad bit far-fetched for 2020.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »

Barack Obama would be no doubt be remembered as the Ronald Reagan of the left. 

Bill Clinton is more like the D's Nixon.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »

Barack Obama would be no doubt be remembered as the Ronald Reagan of the left. 

Bill Clinton is more like the D's Nixon.
.....with alot better economy!!
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »

You have to admit though if the facts about "Fast and Furious" came out it would have been an issue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies