February 2013 Presidential Election - 2nd Debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  February 2013 Presidential Election - 2nd Debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: February 2013 Presidential Election - 2nd Debate  (Read 2514 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 23, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »

Mr. Joyce, I may be mistaken here, I'll admit it's possible, but I believe I declared before Mr. Widdershins. And possibly other candidates listed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »

Mr. Joyce, I may be mistaken here, I'll admit it's possible, but I believe I declared before Mr. Widdershins. And possibly other candidates listed.

My records and that of the DoFE have your declaration for the election on January 13, 2013 at 6:20:23 PM. Mr. Widdershins declared on January 07, 2013, at 8:25:24 PM.

Your reactionary style of judgement is... well I can't say I approve. I'd use stronger language, but you're the debate moderator.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »

Obviously, we will need re-investment in job training programs so as to expand our country's base of employable citizens. However, a dearth of qualified citizens is hardly the only problem that affect our economy, nor is it anywhere near the beginning of the list of problems we face. Our economy is in need of several pieces of bold action on the part of the government. The cutting of the payroll tax and the lowering of interest rates will be good steps. I would to protect American workers and American industry from foreign competition. That does not mean we can't expand our nation's trade, but it must be on a firm and fair footing. As well, a re-investment in our nation's infrastructure could provide a boost to the economy while at the same time helping to bring to modernity a system in bad need of repair, saving taxpayers money in the future.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »

What is your stance on affirmative action?

While I may be called racist for this, however I am not a fan of affirmative action. What is so often said about this country is that people can succeed regardless of race, creed, or background. While yes, we should enforce the civil rights provisions protecting the equality of workers, promoting some above others on the basis of race is hardly going to solve problems.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The only way any new taxes, aside from maybe tariffs, would be introduced under my administration would be if we were to completely restructure the tax system. However, such radical action is unlikely unless I were to come into office and find the situation concerning taxation and budget to be in such peril.

I would support ending certain large agriculture subsidies, especially those that discourage production. Right now there are children and families going without food in our country, and we don't need artificial price supports to support an industry merely for the appeasement of large agri-businesses. However, while I am a supporter of deflationary policies on the whole, the state of industry in this country has long been in collapse. As well, wages in this country have decreased in real dollars. As we did in years past, protective tariffs could be of use in helping our industry to be re-vitalized.

Well, you can count me out of nationalizing anything. But as for privatizing? While I might want to reduce the scope of a number of institutions, I'm not sure if I'd like to just set something loose altogether. Potentially the National Endowment for the Arts.

The idea that a politician would help someone with their debt is news to me. However, as I am campaigning as a candidate of the common man, it is my duty to include helping him (or even her!) in my campaign's platform. So... Let's say I would work to reduce the rates of student loans. Student debt in this country can be crippling, and what we want in this nation is to encourage people to go to college, not scare them off by making it an undue financial burden.

Like I already said, I would attempt to bolster this industry against foreign competition.

I would reduce a number of red tape regulations that have helped in constraining growth.

I would like to emulate the system of some Nordic country. I can't remember which, but about a year ago I remembered hearing about some country up in that part of the world that had a healthcare system in which all healthcare companies were required to offer a standard, universal, and affordable plan. However, I of course would not outlaw more expensive system for Atlasia's privileged citizens. After all, were I rich, I might like to pay more for some better stuff, y'know?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »

Next question (those of you who haven't responded can catch up) (per request of Gov. Scott): How would you act to reform our education system, including specifically standardized testing?

In order to foster a national spirit of achievement and forward-chargingness that is needed in the bold Atlasia that I see on the horizon, we need a system that encourages and promotes success in our education. Likely propaganda could be used. As well, we must hold our students up to high standards. This is a difficulty in inner-city areas, where administrators and local officials are corrupt, and attempts to spend more on the education system would be thwarted by this corruption. We've seen examples of this in Pontiac. Nevertheless, we must be willing to spend money on even our most impoverished school districts. With that will come measures to fight corruption and root out corrupt local administrators through our Justice Department.

As for standardized tests, while I was a student, they serve a very good purpose: getting kids shorter days, so they can walk around in pajama pants that look like blue jeans after working out in their school's weight room. I don't want to ruin that for these kids.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »

I'd like to thank Misters Winfield and Kalwejt for their participation.

SJoyce, any possibility of more of this debate stuff? I was having fun.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »

Sounds like a good idea!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies