Was PA-13 an upset?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:48:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Was PA-13 an upset?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was PA-13 an upset?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Was PA-13 an upset?  (Read 5077 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2005, 05:30:40 PM »

go.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 05:31:34 PM »

Someone like yourself who doesn't know a thing about this district wouldn't think so but most thought this seat should have went Republican.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 05:32:14 PM »

The outcome- NO. The margin- YES.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 05:44:48 PM »

Now who was the idiot that said this...

My prediction is if Torsella pulls it out it would be his to win marginally.  Otherwise, Melissa Brown if she can hide her truly economically right wing views and hit on Section 8 hard.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:52:32 PM »

My prediction is if Torsella pulls it out it would be his to win marginally.  Otherwise, Melissa Brown if she can hide her truly economically right wing views and hit on Section 8 hard.

I wasn't enitrely wrong.  She defended Bush on most economic issues. Schwartz made her pay!  And yes I'll admit, Brown might have done better had she mentioned Section 8 more. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 05:57:18 PM »

I wasn't enitrely wrong.  She defended Bush on most economic issues. Schwartz made her pay!  And yes I'll admit, Brown might have done better had she mentioned Section 8 more. 

Let's say it's April 28th. Now what if someone would have predicted a Schwartz win. Wouldn't you have said that it would be an upset?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2005, 06:01:42 PM by SCJ Texasgurl »

I bet it was for the loser :/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 06:02:21 PM »

Uh..no. You're an Allyson Schwartz type. She was the winner.  Sad
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 06:03:36 PM »

Once again my attempt at humor is DOA.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 06:05:08 PM »

I misread your comment. I thought you said "I bet I was for the loser." meaning you supported the loser in the race.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 06:10:31 PM »

Let's clear this up.  At April 28th, 2004, I think PA 13 was a pure tossup.  About 2-3 weeks after Labor Day, I think it was fairly obvious Schwartz was winning.  The Republicans on primary day had very high turnout.  Northeast Philadelphia for some reason had very low turnout in general that day.  Funny Al Taubenberger almost won the NE.  He actually won my ward and defintitely the 63rd which is his home.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 09:08:07 PM »

I don't think it was an upset since this seat had been held by a Democrat and the district was won easily by Gore and presumably Kerry.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 09:12:37 PM »

I don't think it was an upset since this seat had been held by a Democrat and the district was won easily by Gore and presumably Kerry.

Thanks for showing you know nothing about this district.

This district went big for Ed Rendell in 2002 yet Brown (R) only lost by four points to an incumbent that many felt would have an easy re-election.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 09:16:59 PM »

Hoeffel never did well in that district and Kerry's margin was too much for Brown to overcome.

Yes I realize that you know much more about the district than I do, but I consider an upset when a Republican wins in a reliably Democratic district.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »

Hoeffel never did well in that district and Kerry's margin was too much for Brown to overcome.

Yes I realize that you know much more about the district than I do, but I consider an upset when a Republican wins in a reliably Democratic district.

Hoeffel won by about nine points in 2000. I think that counts as doing well.

If you knew the district, you would realize someone like Schwartz is clearly out of touch with this district.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 09:20:14 PM »

This district went big for Ed Rendell in 2002 yet Brown (R) only lost by four points to an incumbent that many felt would have an easy re-election.

nclib has a semi-point.  Brown in 2002, was a surprise she did so well.  She caught that race off guard with Section 8 housing fears.  No one prior to that used the issue or addressed it until then.  Melissa Brown used the "magic card" so to say and still couldn't win.  You and I both know it gave her 20 points in Northeast Philadelphia.  It can never be used again though and that's the beauty part.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 09:26:56 PM »

nclib has a semi-point.  Brown in 2002, was a surprise she did so well.  She caught that race off guard with Section 8 housing fears.  No one prior to that used the issue or addressed it until then.  Melissa Brown used the "magic card" so to say and still couldn't win.  You and I both know it gave her 20 points in Northeast Philadelphia.  It can never be used again though and that's the beauty part.  

Section 8 fears? Can't you get over the fact that people liked the Section 8 reform issue being addressed?

People want this issue addressed and she didn't hit it hard this time.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 03:53:02 AM »

If you knew the district, you would realize someone like Schwartz is clearly out of touch with this district.

Says you.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 03:06:31 PM »

Says you.

Chestnut Hill left of liberal Democratic candidate vs. center right Republican candidate. Unless the district had some radical change from 2002 to 2004, Brown was clearly more in touch.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies