Anybody done the backpacking/hostel thing through Eastern Europe?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:19:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anybody done the backpacking/hostel thing through Eastern Europe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Anybody done the backpacking/hostel thing through Eastern Europe?  (Read 7253 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:43:23 PM »

I've saved up some money and I want to go in the early fall after the peak tourist season but before cold weather hits. I'm estimating about 3 weeks. I want to visit Warsaw (with a day side trip to my Grandmother's birthplace, Goworowo), Krakow (with a day side trip to Auschwitz), Prague, Vienna, and Budapest. I'm going to have to be very efficient with time and money, but I think I can make it work. I've been working on learning extremely basic Polish on Youtube. I only want to be understood, not master complex Slavic grammar or write the great Polish novel. :-)  I'm sure I'll get a lot of grief for saying it, but Czech looks pretty much the same as Polish. With a heavy American accent, I doubt there's much difference at all. I took German in college, not that people in Vienna speak anything like textbook German, but I think communication should be less of an issue there, both because of more English availability and my somewhat decent Hochsdeutsch. I can say Servus at least. Hopefully, the Hungarians will work with me. Their language is out of my intellectual league and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If anybody has any tips for exploring Hapsburg Europe on a budget, I'd love to hear them. Ditto for blending in as well as possible. I don't want my appearance to scream American tourist.  I'm already working on being less friendly. Tongue I've heard using a messenger bag instead of a backpack will help me fit in tremendously. I also understand Europeans smoke a lot. Are there no smoking hostels? I would greatly prefer one if such a thing exists. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2013, 02:48:42 PM by opebo »

I went to Paris, Prague, and Vienna on backpacker-level jaunts from my home base in Geneva when I lived in Europe.  I didn't like it - you just feel too poor and exhausted to enjoy anything.

That said,I recall that I made out with a very attractive French girl on the bus on the way back from Prague to Paris.  She was fantastic, even cried when we parted, knowing we'd never see each other again.  So, that was fun.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »

Opie, what did you enjoy more, making out with her or making her cry?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

Making out with her, buddy!  I'm no sicko.  I was just really surprised that she teared up like that.  I have to admit I felt the same way (cause we couldn't consummate).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »

Czech is basically the same as Polish. Also when people realize you have an American accent in that part of the world they just start speaking English to you, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »

Honestly thought that was mostly Aussies that did it.

Ummm I think it'd be a cool thing to do, but I haven't had the opportunity to do so.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:33:53 AM »

I'm sort of planning a trip to Romania where I intend to do the whole hostel thing. Not yet sure on the backpack.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:41:40 AM »

I did it a few years ago. Berlin-Prague-Bratislava-Budapest-Vienna-Munich. It was lots of fun.

Communicating in English should be all right in most places.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 05:22:48 AM »

You should consider this travel plan maybe:

* Start your travel in Frankfurt and either go to Hamburg or directly to Berlin.

* Down to Dresden, then Prague, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Krakau, Auschwitz, Katowitz area, Warshaw.

* Fly directly home from Warshaw, or travel through west-Poland to Berlin and fly home.

What do you think ?

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:12 AM »

I took German in college, not that people in Vienna speak anything like textbook German, but I think communication should be less of an issue there, both because of more English availability and my somewhat decent Hochsdeutsch. I can say Servus at least.

Almost anybody understands and talks English in Vienna, especially in the hotels/hostels.

Of course, only people in Northern Germany talk like text-book German, and Vienna dialect could be harder to understand if you can only speak text-book German (try not speaking German in Western Austria or Switzerland then ... Tongue).

But if people hear that you can only speak text-book German, people here will usually switch over from their local dialect to text-book German anyway to make it easier.

So, don't worry ... Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »

If they're capable of real German, Tender....not all are Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 05:38:55 AM »

If they're capable of real German, Tender....not all are Smiley

Sometimes, "real" German is like a foreign language for me as well ... Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »

All I can advise is to bring a bit of extra money with you- I hear there are great investment opportunities in some of the areas you'll be visiting.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

Making out with her, buddy!  I'm no sicko.  I was just really surprised that she teared up like that.  I have to admit I felt the same way (cause we couldn't consummate).

So that was the reason shy was crying? Out of frustration?  I'll bear that in mind next time....    
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »

I've been to Germany before, so it's out. Except for Vienna, which is too important to skip, I want to stay behind the Iron Curtain. Do  people really say Grüß Gott? I was looking around online, and Transylvania looks pretty darn interesting as well. Maybe if a have a couple of extra days.  Also, any ideas for keeping food costs reasonable?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »

I've been to Germany before, so it's out. Except for Vienna, which is too important to skip, I want to stay behind the Iron Curtain. Do  people really say Grüß Gott? I was looking around online, and Transylvania looks pretty darn interesting as well. Maybe if a have a couple of extra days.  Also, any ideas for keeping food costs reasonable?

Grüß Gott is not uncommon in either Bavaria or Austria Smiley
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »

I've seen too many movies to know doing this is a bad idea.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »

Making out with her, buddy!  I'm no sicko.  I was just really surprised that she teared up like that.  I have to admit I felt the same way (cause we couldn't consummate).

So that was the reason shy was crying? Out of frustration?  I'll bear that in mind next time....    

No, prude, that's why I felt down at our parting, good god.  Who knows why she felt that way - probably becuase she felt 'romantic' or something.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »

All I can advise is to bring a bit of extra money with you- I hear there are great investment opportunities in some of the areas you'll be visiting.

Agreed. When my parents got back from visiting the area I had to grill them on why they didn't invest in anything. Needless to say they were overcome with remorse.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »

Do  people really say Grüß Gott?

Yes, mostly older people.

Other greetings include forms of "Grüß Dich !", or as we say here: "Grias di !"

The 2 other common greetings are forms of "Servus/Seass !" and "Hallo/Hi !".

It is split by about 30/30/30/10 (Grüß Gott) I'd say.

People in Vienna are generally more likely to use text-book German words like "Guten Tag !", which a rural Austrian would almost never use.

People in Tyrol say "Heil !" to greet someone.

More here:

http://www.freizeitforschung.at/data/spectra/Aktuell_5_12_Grussformen.pdf
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »

People in Vienna are generally more likely to use text-book German words like "Guten Tag !", which a rural Austrian would almost never use.

More here:

I doubt he was that interested.... Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »

More here:

I doubt he was that interested.... Wink

More information might help him when he's here ... Wink

PS: I should probably mention that the "Heil !" in Tyrol is common and was used already before Hitler and the Nazis came to power.

Much like the "Gaue" here in Salzburg, that were abused by the Nazis later, but still remain until now.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2013, 01:19:02 PM by memphis »

Poles are supposed to be fiercely pro-American, so I have that going for me.  Maybe I can hire Kalwejt to be my translator. Tongue I  love learning about languages as well so no need to fear giving too much information.  If anybody else is also, I strongly recommend John McWhorter's The Power of Babel. I took a lot of French in school too, but I doubt that will matter too much for this trip. I used to be pretty good at learning languages, but I'm having a harder time with Polish. Not sure if being older or drifting into unfamiliat slav territory is the bigger issue. Also, I'd love to hear more about the food. What's the best way to experience local food without spending too much money? When I was in Germany, I ate at a lot of little Turkish schwarma/falafal places.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »

Czech is basically the same as Polish.
In the same way that Dutch is basically the same as German.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »

For private reasons I travelled to Poland quite often during the last years. I spent most of my time in Krakow and some smaller towns and villages in the Lesser Poland Voivodeship, so I can only speak for that region. I also can't comment on the backpacking/hostel thing, but as far as English is concerned you will probably do fine in larger cities. However, as soon as you visit more rural and not particularly touristic places you will notice that it's not extremely common to find many English-speaking people. In fact, the Poles I have met and talked to (both by means of my broken Polish and thanks to the help of one of the rare English-speaking people) often joked about their non-existing knowledge of English. Anyway, this has been my personal experience and your impression might be a very different one depending on what you will do there and who you will meet.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies