Favourite Doctor Who
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:13:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Favourite Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was your favourite Time Lord?
William Hartnell (1963-66)

Patrick Troughton (1966-69)

Jon Pertwee (1970-74)

Tom Baker (1974-81)

Peter Davison (1982-84)

Colin Baker (1984-86)

Sylvester McCoy (1987-89)

Paul McGann (1996)

Christopher Eccleston (2005)

David Tennant (2005-10)

Matt Smith (2010-)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Favourite Doctor Who  (Read 816 times)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:57:23 AM »

It's Doctor Who's golden anniversary this year, who's your favourite Doctor?

My vote goes to Tom Baker, he had some great stories and companions, not to mention that scarf and his voice over work on Little Britain.

Honourable mentions to:
Jon Pertwee, as he was also the voice of Spottyman on SuperTed, a favourite cartoon of mine as a preschooler.
Christopher Eccleston, for bringing the Doctor into the new millennium.
David Tennant, for continuing Eccleston's good work.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

Matt Smith, the man's performance has been exemplary, even when the story is crap. He just is the Doctor to me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »

I only know the new series, so on the 3 recent doctors I'd have to go with Tennant. The way he conveys the doctor's emotions in episodes like "The Family of Blood", "Last of the Time Lords", "The Doctor's Daughter", "Midnight", "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time" (to cite only some examples) is just MAGNIFICENT.

Eccleston had a lot of potential (possibly even more than Tennant), but simply wasn't given the time to express it. I'll always regret that.

Smith is not bad, but I feel like he's insisting too much on the Doctor's clownish/lunatic side, at the expense of his deeper emotions. I've seen him almost unaffected by things that should have really troubled him.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

Matt Smith, the man's performance has been exemplary, even when the story is crap. He just is the Doctor to me.

I only know the new series, so on the 3 recent doctors I'd have to go with Tennant. The way he conveys the doctor's emotions in episodes like "The Family of Blood", "Last of the Time Lords", "The Doctor's Daughter", "Midnight", "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time" (to cite only some examples) is just MAGNIFICENT.

Eccleston had a lot of potential (possibly even more than Tennant), but simply wasn't given the time to express it. I'll always regret that.

Smith is not bad, but I feel like he's insisting too much on the Doctor's clownish/lunatic side, at the expense of his deeper emotions. I've seen him almost unaffected by things that should have really troubled him.

I've always wondered what Smith's Doctor is like, as I stopped watching the new ones early in the Tennant era. Sounds like he's a good Doctor overall. Regarding Eccleston's departure, he chose to leave after one season, so it was his own fault for not having enough time for expressing himself as the Doctor.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »

The one with the singer.

Are you my mommy?
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:35 AM »

The one with the singer.

Are you my mommy?

Which one was that? I don't remember a singer being one of the Doctor's companions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »

Eccleston left after one series because things were poisonous behind the scenes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »

Eccleston left after one series because things were poisonous behind the scenes.

Really? How so? I'm interested.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

I think my fiancee's preference was David Tennant, or "rooster boy" as I called him upon first viewing. I don't think she likes Matt Smith all that much because she finds him too goofy. She liked Eccelston if I recall right, but because we would watch Cracker, I think we both probably see him more as David Bilborough than the Doctor... There's another show he left really quickly.

Overall, I've never really liked the show. I think that upsets her more than anything about me. Heh.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »

Really? How so? I'm interested.

Me too, I thought he left because he didn't want to get typecast.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:02 AM »

Jon Pertwee, watched the repeats of his as a child.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 05:47:07 AM »

While I've never seen anything prior to the Ninth Doctor, my vote easily goes to David Tennant. He was absolutely perfect in the role. Since it's a such a specific personal taste, I don't what else to really say.

Oh yeah, I was surprised to hear David Tennant's real accent outside of the show. His real Scottish accent seriously caught me by surprise.

I agree with pretty much all of this other than that I didn't really care for the post-Series 4 specials. Midnight was a classic Tenth Doctor episode. It brought together his seriousness along with his sense of adventure and humor. I think that's one of the episodes that best shows the Tenth Doctor's personality. I'd either pick The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit or Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead as his best. The latter was simply great and the former just had a certain creepiness to it with the whole Satan thing.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »

Jon Pertwee, watched the repeats of his as a child.

Good to see another classic Doctor Who fan here, and did you also watch SuperTed as a kid? As I mentioned in the original post, he did the voice of SpottyMan.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »

While I've never seen anything prior to the Ninth Doctor, my vote easily goes to David Tennant. He was absolutely perfect in the role. Since it's a such a specific personal taste, I don't what else to really say.

Oh yeah, I was surprised to hear David Tennant's real accent outside of the show. His real Scottish accent seriously caught me by surprise.

I agree with pretty much all of this other than that I didn't really care for the post-Series 4 specials. Midnight was a classic Tenth Doctor episode. It brought together his seriousness along with his sense of adventure and humor. I think that's one of the episodes that best shows the Tenth Doctor's personality. I'd either pick The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit or Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead as his best. The latter was simply great and the former just had a certain creepiness to it with the whole Satan thing.

How could I forget Silence in the Library?!? Shocked This is certainly one of the greatest episodes. Personally though, I'm tied between this and the Master trilogy as to which is the best ever.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »

Matt Smith will always be my Doctor. While the first one I ever watched was Eccleston straight through to Smith all from Netflicks Smith was the first I've seen as the episodes air and he is just my Doctor. He reminds me somewhat of the 2nd Doctor as well, acting like a clown to lure people into a false sense of security but always having things in control for the most part.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

David Tennant, dawg. I've seen around three or four of the episodes of that show and Tennant was by far my favorite of those who played the Good Doctor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies