President Obama interview re: Congress and the media
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:52:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Obama interview re: Congress and the media
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Obama interview re: Congress and the media  (Read 223 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »

FF: Are there any forces for reform within the Republican Party, people you've been able to establish some sort of working relationship with?

OBAMA: Well, look, I've always believed that there are a bunch of Republicans of goodwill who would rather get something done than suffer through the sort of nasty atmosphere that prevails in Washington right now. It's not a fun time to be a member of Congress.

And I think if you talk privately to Democrats and Republicans, particularly those who have been around for a while, they long for the days when they could socialize and introduce bipartisan legislation and feel productive. So I don't think the issue is whether or not there are people of goodwill in either party that want to get something done. I think what we really have to do is change some of the incentive structures so that people feel liberated to pursue some common ground.

One of the biggest factors is going to be how the media shapes debates. If a Republican member of Congress is not punished on Fox News or by Rush Limbaugh for working with a Democrat on a bill of common interest, then you'll see more of them doing it.

snip:

FF: When you talk about Washington, oftentimes you use it as a way to describe this type of dysfunction. But it's a very broad brush. It can seem as if you're apportioning blame not just to one party, but to both parties—

OBAMA: Well, no, let me be clear. There's not a—there's no equivalence there. In fact, that's one of the biggest problems we've got in how folks report about Washington right now, because I think journalists rightly value the appearance of impartiality and objectivity. And so the default position for reporting is to say, "A plague on both their houses." On almost every issue, it's, "Well, Democrats and Republicans can't agree"—as opposed to looking at why is it that they can't agree. Who exactly is preventing us from agreeing?

And I want to be very clear here that Democrats, we've got a lot of warts, and some of the bad habits here in Washington when it comes to lobbyists and money and access really goes to the political system generally. It's not unique to one party. But when it comes to certain positions on issues, when it comes to trying to do what's best for the country, when it comes to really trying to make decisions based on fact as opposed to ideology, when it comes to being willing to compromise, the Democrats, not just here in this White House, but I would say in Congress also, have shown themselves consistently to be willing to do tough things even when it's not convenient, because it's the right thing to do. And we haven't seen that same kind of attitude on the other side.

Until Republicans feel that there's a real price to pay for them just saying no and being obstructionist, you'll probably see at least a number of them arguing that we should keep on doing it. It worked for them in the 2010 election cycle, and I think there are those who believe that it can work again. I disagree with them, and I think the cost to the country has been enormous.

More:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112190/obama-interview-2013-sit-down-president#
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

OBAMA: Well, no, let me be clear. There's not a—there's no equivalence there. In fact, that's one of the biggest problems we've got in how folks report about Washington right now, because I think journalists rightly value the appearance of impartiality and objectivity. And so the default position for reporting is to say, "A plague on both their houses." On almost every issue, it's, "Well, Democrats and Republicans can't agree"—as opposed to looking at why is it that they can't agree. Who exactly is preventing us from agreeing?

While I think he is being charitable to Democrats though I agree with his over all point.  Saying both parties are to blame equally is completely worthless.  I can tell you that five years from now MSNBC's evening line up will say it is all the Republicans fault.  Fox News' 24/7 line up will tell you it is all the Democrats' fault.  Every other outlet will tell you it is both their faults equally.  How is that news if I can predict it five years out?  It's so stupid.  Give me some honest analysis.

The fact of the matter is the Republicans on multiple occasions came out and said that their mission was to make Obama a one term president.  That needs to be reported and called out.  If someone puts their foot down and says they don't like you how is that your fault?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies