The appeal to Hispanics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:34:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The appeal to Hispanics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The appeal to Hispanics  (Read 1803 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »

What must the republicans do to appeal to Hispanic voters? As stated numerous times on Election Night and throughout this forum, they are the fastest growing voter bloc in America and if the Republicans don't figure out a way to reach out, the party is in big, big trouble.

I thought that NBC's coverage laid out some pretty honest details concerning the Latino demographic:

1) Could represent 30% or more of the American electorate by 2030
2) The immigration issue seems to be #1 on their minds (for obvious reasons)
3) They tend to be the least educated of the growing population, which presents a serious concern going forward
4) Most are not that well-off financially and thus, are part of the lower end of the socioeconomic line.

Obviously, #2 seems to stem off of #3 and #4 and while many Americans commend the GOP for not wanting to make us a welfare state, many Hispanics (and other Americans) are clearly coming here to the states for our education system, healthcare and the chance to improve their lives.  While many of course will abuse the system, they do rely on the gov't for help. 

That whole manner seems to go completely the opposite way of how the GOP is trying to portray itself since they want smaller gov't and Americans to fend for themselves and if you can't or won't, then it's your problem. 

Opinions?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »

What must the republicans do to appeal to Hispanic voters? As stated numerous times on Election Night and throughout this forum, they are the fastest growing voter bloc in America and if the Republicans don't figure out a way to reach out, the party is in big, big trouble.

I thought that NBC's coverage laid out some pretty honest details concerning the Latino demographic:

3) They tend to be the least educated of the growing population, which presents a serious concern going forward
4) Most are not that well-off financially and thus, are part of the lower end of the socioeconomic line.

1. Maybe, though by this point I don't think most people will consider Hispanics a "race". About 60%, including myself, will be considered white (remember that "white" in America once just meant WASP), with most of the other 40% being lumped into either other races (plenty of Hispanics of African and some of Native and Asian descent), and some new category for mestizos. Immigration from Latin America is slowing down as well.

2. It's a major issue to be sure (especially with the actual immigrants), but like basically everyone else, we care most about the economy. "Self-deportation" definitely doesn't help, though.

3. Yes, but the same was true with the Irish, Italians, Poles, Germans, etc.

4. See #3.
td191
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:12:31 AM »

Figure out why Bush won 44% of the hispanic vote in 2004, and Rubio won 55% of it in FL in a 3 way race in 2010, and McCain won 40% in AZ in 2010, and do it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:59:19 AM »

Figure out why Bush won 44% of the hispanic vote in 2004, and Rubio won 55% of it in FL in a 3 way race in 2010, and McCain won 40% in AZ in 2010, and do it.

Actually, Latinos vote more Republican than they once did. In 1988, Latinos voted 70-30 for Dukakis while he lost by 8%, but only made up 3% of the electorate. In other words, Latinos would be less of a problem for the GOP if there weren't so many of us. Wink
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

The GOP needs to show Latinos that we are not anti-immigration, just anti-illegal immigration.  In other words, if you want to come here, do it legally.  We should support legislation that simplifies the immigration process as well.  Also, Latinos seem to be pretty socially conservative, which could be a great opening for Republicans as well.  Of course, I think we need to downplay social issues, but we should also consider using them to court Latinos and blacks.  Essentially, our message needs to be tailored based on our audience.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »

The GOP needs to show Latinos that we are not anti-immigration, just anti-illegal immigration.  In other words, if you want to come here, do it legally.  We should support legislation that simplifies the immigration process as well.  Also, Latinos seem to be pretty socially conservative, which could be a great opening for Republicans as well.  Of course, I think we need to downplay social issues, but we should also consider using them to court Latinos and blacks.  Essentially, our message needs to be tailored based on our audience.
It's not the product it's the advertising and the messengers that need to change. I think the new immigration bill is a good start for Republicans, lets show Hispanics that we aren't against making legal immigration easier.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

I think one of the biggest problems is that the GOP has a major conflict here.  At one end, they're trying to portray the party as the one being against a "welfare state".  That being said, while of course there are millions of hispanics not on welfare and who do well for themselves, when the group as a whole is lower middle class to poor, then what? What can you do?

We know people vote their pocketbook interests.  That's one thing that doesn't change.  So, I'm not sure if there's an answer to this one.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »

Hispanics will eventually trend GOP as they move up the socioeconomic ladder and integrate further into so-called "white" culture.

100 years ago, the Irish and Italians and Polish were poor and Catholic and non-English speaking and immigrant and, in the eyes of many, non-white*.  The same gradual assimilation will happen here; it will probably take several decades but there is little question it will happen.

*They are still Catholic, of course, but this is thankfully much less of an issue nowadays.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »

It's not the product it's the advertising and the messengers that need to change. I think the new immigration bill is a good start for Republicans, lets show Hispanics that we aren't against making legal immigration easier.

I wonder if the immigration bill will pass. Rush and his band of retards have started to squeal again. Will the Republicans stand up to them? My guess would be no.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »

I wonder if the immigration bill will pass. Rush and his band of retards have started to squeal again. Will the Republicans stand up to them? My guess would be no.
I think some will, the tea party won't be for it, but a lot of republicans (like Rubio for instance) will, the moderate ones will. And I don't think just Rush and the tea party will be enough to stop this.
William Poole
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »

We are met at this chosen time, to settle for good and all who holds sway over the Five Points: us Natives, born RIGHT-WISE to this fine land, or the foreign hordes defiling it.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »

1. Maybe, though by this point I don't think most people will consider Hispanics a "race". About 60%, including myself, will be considered white (remember that "white" in America once just meant WASP), with most of the other 40% being lumped into either other races (plenty of Hispanics of African and some of Native and Asian descent), and some new category for mestizos. Immigration from Latin America is slowing down as well.

I always though that this "Latino" racial category is a bit weird, given how racially heterogeneous are the Americas. But the US racial classification as a whole is pure weirdness. As a Spain's native and EU citizen I must say that I'm Spaniard in an US airport check control, and not Spanish, in order to be classified as 'Caucasian' Tongue
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »

We are met at this chosen time, to settle for good and all who holds sway over the Five Points: us Natives, born RIGHT-WISE to this fine land, or the foreign hordes defiling it.

Off to The Tombs with you, base ruffian!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

Obviously, #2 seems to stem off of #3 and #4 and while many Americans commend the GOP for not wanting to make us a welfare state, many Hispanics (and other Americans) are clearly coming here to the states for our education system, healthcare and the chance to improve their lives.  While many of course will abuse the system, they do rely on the gov't for help. 

That whole manner seems to go completely the opposite way of how the GOP is trying to portray itself since they want smaller gov't and Americans to fend for themselves and if you can't or won't, then it's your problem. 

Opinions?

1. Possible. But note the extensive ethnic assimilation. There's much marriage between Anglos and Hispanics, and how will the kids identify?

2. More likely for some groups than for others. Less for Puerto Ricans than for others.

3. They may already be doing at least as well as Southern white people in educational attainment. Except for the criminal subculture that generally does not vote, Hispanics are not an anti-intellectual  group. Poor Hispanics respect the middle class of their own ethnic group more than they trust the economic elite. The divide-and-conquer technique that the Hard Right has done on white people might never succeed on another group until a huge new realignment in politics.

4. The 2008 Presidential election was the one in which economic status least decided one's vote. 2012 was almost the same.  We may have seen a pattern change -- or we could have a reversion to normal.
illegaloperation

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2013, 11:25:41 AM by illegaloperation »

The problem is that immigration is NOT the most important issue to Hispanic voters. In fact, it's NOT even in the top 3.

As long as the Republicans portray Hispanics as brown people stealing American from "real" Americans (aka white people), Republicans will continue to struggle to get the Hispanic votes.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2013, 12:37:07 PM by ag »

The GOP needs to show Latinos that we are not anti-immigration, just anti-illegal immigration.  In other words, if you want to come here, do it legally.  

This will only work if accompanied by a clear support for some provisions that would let people come into US legally. Because for the overwhelming majority of those, who are currently in the US illegally, there has never been any realistic way to immigrate - or even to temporarily come to work - into the US legally. It's not the matter of going into a queue - it is not being allowed into the queue. For the vast majority of Latinos anti-illegal is anti-immigration - not because they do not understand the difference, but because there IS no difference.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

100 years ago, the Irish and Italians and Polish were poor and Catholic and non-English speaking and immigrant and, in the eyes of many, non-white*.  The same gradual assimilation will happen here; it will probably take several decades but there is little question it will happen.

This also plays into the social conservatism of Hispanics. right now they are poorer and voting with their pocket books. As they move up the ladder, they'll become more motivated by social issues and therefore vote GOP more. You can see the same trend through the generations in church going Catholic voters, going from pocketbook Democrats to social issue GOP'ers.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »

More Hispanics support Gay Marriage than white people do... the social conservatism of Hispanics is a myth.

They also strongly support more government intervention in healthcare and education.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

More Hispanics support Gay Marriage than white people do... the social conservatism of Hispanics is a myth.

They also strongly support more government intervention in healthcare and education.

They are also more pro-life and abortion has more staying power than SSM.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »

This also plays into the social conservatism of Hispanics. right now they are poorer and voting with their pocket books. As they move up the ladder, they'll become more motivated by social issues and therefore vote GOP more. You can see the same trend through the generations in church going Catholic voters, going from pocketbook Democrats to social issue GOP'ers.

This is probably true, though if the GOP doesn't move to the left on immigration, they're screwed. 

But there's definitely similarities between Italians/Irish and Hispanics.  They both spoke their native language, were poor but worked hard, and were socially conservative.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »

Colorado also legalized marijuana. They couldn't have done this without help from the hispanic vote. At the very best, Hispanics are socially moderate.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »

The whole "Jesus would have wanted your boss who makes 30 times what you do to get another tax cut" schpiel works on poor whites. It doesn't work on poor blacks or Hispanics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies