MA: Mideast Budget Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:34:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Budget Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Budget Amendment (Passed)  (Read 3787 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »

Fine... screw it... I don't care.  Let's just make it 120%.  Is that enough of a compromise now?

I could live with that
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:56 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I propose this amendment.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »

And you're willing to support it at that point, correct?

Yes

I would like to ask those who are proposing a higher debt ceiling: what is wrong with 110%, and why would a higher rate be better?  Governor Tmth and I have both asked this question before and have yet to receive an answer.  Could someone please explain this?

I don't like the idea of having limits on debt because you never know when you are going to have to go above that limit in order to stimulate the economy in a time of crisis. Yet I do understand that in essence that this amendment is more so game reform than a piece of economic legislation. Also I am happy with the fact that the legislature can vote to go above the limit if economically necessary. I am just afraid that the 2/3rds support necessary to go over the limit will be there in a time of crisis. I could definitely see legislators in the future that would never agree to running a short term budget deficit in order to stimulate the economy because it goes against their economic philosophy. This could be fatal to our regional economy during a time of crisis. That is is why I would want that limit to be as high as reasonably possible so there would be no worry about having to get that 2/3rds majority in a time of crisis. You would just be able to pass the budget that exceeds up to whatever number we choose. I want the greatest amount of reasonable flexibility possible given to the legislature under this amendment while still preventing crazy unrealistic budgets. Hope that answers your question.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »

If the 2/3 is what you're worried about, I would be willing to eliminate that in exchange for say, 110%?

While I'm worried about that, it is an unnecessary evil because we have to have something to allow us to go over the limit in the case of an emergency. I am just afraid that might always be possible in a case of an emergency due to the economic ideologies of potential Assemblymen. That is why I am fighting to have the limit be as high as reasonably possible.   
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

Do my fellow Assemblymen think it is a better idea to set a specific monetary amount, as the bill currently has, or a percentage of GDP, as has been suggested?

%GDP
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »

If we do this by GDP, we'll have to wait until we have a GM in order to get an estimate of what our GDP currently is so we can come up with a figure.

Sounds good
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 04:43:31 AM by Gass3268 »

I don't know how I missed this. This version is worse then the version from the last session as there is no emergency mechanism to allow us to go over the limit. I would have voted Nay, I will be voting no in the ratification vote and I will be campaigning for its defeat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies