MA: Mideast Budget Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Budget Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Budget Amendment (Passed)  (Read 3797 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:18 AM »

I will support this. While I'd prefer to set the percentage at 110%, I can also live with 115%.

In general, a budget amendment is a good idea because it actually requires our regional government to pass a budget, which makes governing much more interesting. In the current situation it is easy for a governor and the Assembly to refuse to pass a budget because they either don't care or are too lazy to do the necessary work. The question remains, though, what happens if we as a region adopt this amendment and a future government simply ignores it. What should be the consequences, if any?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »

Nay

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:01:57 AM »

I think a percentage of the GDP makes more sense, considering factors such as the general development of the economy, inflation, deflation etc.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:36:11 AM »

I agree. Unfortunately the office of GM has been vacant for quite some time now so we just need to wait.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »

If the goal of this bill is to limit the government's long-term debt without tying its hands during times of economic emergency, wouldn't a GDP cap somewhat defeat that purpose, since GDP will necessarily shrink during a recession?

I see what you mean. If, during a recession, the government deems it wise to stimulate the economy with additional expenditures, a GDP cap can indeed be counterproductive. Indeed, in times of a crisis the GDP is lower. As a consequence, the government cannot spend as much money (in raw numbers) as in a situation where the GDP is higher.
I am not a fan of massive government intervention even during a recession, but for someone who wants the government to take drastic measures in times of economic hardship your point is very valid.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:41 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies