Free Speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:43:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Free Speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Free Speech  (Read 10027 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »

I think we need an honest discussion about Free Speech on this forum. Apparently you can be put on probation for cracking a bad joke. This, to me, is not right.

This post, by the way, is not trolling. It is quite serious. Deletion of this post would be evidence of a fundamentally fascist mindset. We do need to talk about this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree that you should not be put on probation for making a bad joke.  You should be on probation when you repost the joke (or a similar joke) 5 times after the joke was infracted though.

What's the logic behind this position? I don't see any. It isn't even really a case of dogmatically following the rules, because they're your rules (right down to the interpretation of a bad joke as a crime).

Bizarre.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:29 PM »

Would my participation in this topic be aided by having any idea what's going on?  Or is that beside the point for our purposes?

I posted a picture of the Tesco logo in the 'my little pony' thread a couple of times. I made a few other references to Tesco elsewhere. The number of infraction points I got as a result has put me on mod review. I don't entirely understand either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »

The posts that landed me on probation were not actually posted on that thread.

Whatever.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »

Yeah, I was just fooling about a bit. I confess. It was mildly distracting and I was bored. Oh dear. How evil. What a terrible, terrible crime. Ghastly. Ghastly. Ghastly.

I DID UNDERMINE YOUR AUTHORITY.

oh dear oh dear oh dear

Terrible and childish behavior!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »

And I'm being more than slightly childish now, of course. Because it's late and I'm bored (at least I know I'm a prick, part the thirty third). I am at least a little annoyed though (but more confused than owt else. This is really weird).

But being entirely serious for a moment (as rare as that is), you really need to sort out this whole control thing out. It's not healthy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »

This Al act is getting really weird. We know he isn't serious. Is he just trying to (poorly) impersonate me? Maybe. Whatever the case, we do need a real discussion about how to deal with jokes and this ridiculous policy that questioning of a moderator's motives gets an immediate deletion and infraction points. That's beyond ridiculous.

I hate to say this but entertaining the less than 1% chance that Al is being serious, I'm sort of glad that he has to experience this. Now he knows what the rest of us have to deal with (and sometimes under his watch but mostly under Inks).

What makes you think Al isn't serious?

He's clever.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:52 AM »

All that said, this whole infraction point system offends me on every level, and it has been ever since I first noticed it.  The forum was a better place before it existed, and you're a moderator, so in my book you are part of the system and therefore part of the problem.  You cannot claim at this point to be philosophically above a system that you uphold.  If you really don't like it, then show some balls and go on strike.  If you really feel that the system oppresses, then quit your moderator position this moment in protest.  Otherwise you'll get as much sympathy as a Kapo in a Konzentrationslager whining when he finds a jackboot's heel on his neck.

I basically never use the system on the board that I've been running, fwiw.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »

Colonel Klink was in it as well, but long before he was Colonel Klink.

Though when he was (as always) Otto Klemperer's son, which adds a touch of true weirdness to the casting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies