Australia - 7 September 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:48:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia - 7 September 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57
Author Topic: Australia - 7 September 2013  (Read 156949 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: September 08, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »

Hard to remember how popular KRudd actually was 2007-2009 at this point.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1351 on: September 08, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »

Bill Shorten would be a decent leader but would struggle to shake the dark clouds that loom over him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1352 on: September 08, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

NSW and Vic Right back Shorten.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1353 on: September 08, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

Bill Shorten would be a decent leader but would struggle to shake the dark clouds that loom over him.

Which is precisely why Labor should pick him now and keep their powder dry for a leader with more gravitas after the honeymoon is over. Changing an Opposition Leader who fails to cut through is very different to knifing an incumbent PM. Shorten would be your Brendan Nelson.

Meanwhile very interesting article in the AFR today, the info in it, it seems to have been sourced from within Liberal CHQ, but I think it would make Gillard supporters rub their hands together, that an alternative narrative to Rudd saving the furniture is already being written.

I for one previously thought that Crean (hindsight, Albanese may also have fit the bill) would have been their best bet for the leadership going into the campaign, Rudd and Shorten the weaker option on the second-tier, and Gillard a poor third.After reading this article, I think much of Gillard's unpopularity was absorbed by the Labor brand, and if she had led Labor to the election, they would not have performed any worse... Perhaps Moreton and/or Petrie may have been different, but perhaps Barton would have been safer, possibly Eden-Monaro, too. Anyway, I am reaching the conclusion that her campaign would have been far stronger and that she would have possibly even performed better than Rudd, certainly he didn't help them much.

Anyway, interesting article if it's not geo-locked.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1354 on: September 08, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »

Smid, is the AFR article you're referring to?

Here's a look at Lab leadership prospects, but right now only Albo and Shorten are pinging caucus.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1355 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »

A long PVO article on the new Cabinet, which won't be entirely predictable. Truss probably won't press for the traditional Nat trade slot, instead keeping Transport/Infrastructure. Brandis will probably take over as Senate leader soon enough in addition to being AG. Two contenders for Speaker: Andrews and ... Bronwyn Bishop. But both want to be in Cabinet. Also lists some up-n'coming "middlebenchers", as I call parliamentary secretaries and junior ministers.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1356 on: September 08, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »

Indeed it is. Labor had it's flaws and it's unpopularity, but Rudd's personal faults, chaotic nature and undisciplined hijacking of the campaign, may have cost them seats. I think Crean - boring, sombre and tedious Crean, the opposite of the chaotic Rudd, would have given Labor the seriousness they needed.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1357 on: September 08, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/how-kevin-rudds-2013-election-campaign-imploded-20130908-2teb1.html
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1358 on: September 08, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2013, 06:27:40 PM by Fmr. President & Senator Polnut »

I'll probably do a write-up of my view of why things ended up the way they did... but as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty simple as Tanya Plibersek put it, 9/10 for governing the country and 0/10 for governing themselves.

I think Gillard could have pulled back 'some' of the vote, but I'm highly, highly skeptical that she would have performed better than Rudd. Firstly, I don't see her vote improving through the year - regardless of how good the campaign might have been, it strikes me as being a bit like a fantastic soprano singing to an empty opera house. The ALP also got a significant fundraising boost after Rudd came in, something that I don't see Gillard replicating.

It was ALP-fatigue, people were sick of melodrama and there was virtually no way, short of an EPIC cock-up from Abbott that would have led to their winning. When your utter best-case scenario is a Hung Parliament, you're screwed.

It was a perfect storm: internal fighting, instability and disorganisation against extreme discipline, external unity and very well-funded...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1359 on: September 08, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »

I agree with Polnut on Rudd/Gillard.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1360 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:52 PM »

BTW - if ANYONE points to a robopoll as a sign of anything, I have permission to shoot them... k?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1361 on: September 08, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »

More of a contralto, I think.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1362 on: September 08, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »

Western Sydney was saved by localization and ethnic targeting. Plus respectable national poll numbers.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1363 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »

RB, can you think of any way of getting around reading articles which are blocked for non-subscribers? I don't want to give my money to right-wing corporations Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1364 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:37 PM »

Hit and miss, but usually I get Oz articles from either Twitter or Google News since I follow PVO and a couple of other Oz journos.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1365 on: September 08, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »

Hit and miss, but usually I get Oz articles from either Twitter or Google News since I follow PVO and a couple of other Oz journos.

Calling PVO a journo is an insult to all journalists... he's an academic with aspirations...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1366 on: September 08, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »

Indeed it is. Labor had it's flaws and it's unpopularity, but Rudd's personal faults, chaotic nature and undisciplined hijacking of the campaign, may have cost them seats. I think Crean - boring, sombre and tedious Crean, the opposite of the chaotic Rudd, would have given Labor the seriousness they needed.

I'm not going to disagree with this.

It's why I'm quite keen on the idea of whoever Labor choose being one of their calmer figures, and giving that person a full two terms to win back the lodge.

I choose Mark Dreyfus over the rest of the ministry, and while it'll never happen, I'm confident it would be the right way to go about it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1367 on: September 08, 2013, 09:26:32 PM »

Opinions on presumptive Senator Howes? A Lab friend of mine isn't a fan of the not-so-faceless man, particularly after the belly-flopped attempt to collect GE funds from fellow unions in June.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1368 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »

I'm not going to disagree with this.

It's why I'm quite keen on the idea of whoever Labor choose being one of their calmer figures, and giving that person a full two terms to win back the lodge.

I choose Mark Dreyfus over the rest of the ministry, and while it'll never happen, I'm confident it would be the right way to go about it.

I was referring to Crean in that post some months back, where I described the sort of leader Labor needed, but obviously didn't give a name. I won't make suggestions about who Labor should choose now for their leader, but I will say that I think Shorten is no messiah...
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1369 on: September 08, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »

I think Shorten would be a terrible idea... he's got the pedigree for ALP leadership, but not the necessary temperament. Hugh knows my views of Dreyfus, he's one of the more consistent performers, but if anything he's too steady. You need to have a viable alternative, someone who is inherently measured, but capable of going on the attack if necessary... it's a tricky balance.

My vote is for Albanese...
Knives
solopop
« Reply #1370 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:38 AM »

Tanya or Albo thankyou.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1371 on: September 09, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »

Hugh - it turns out Latham agrees with you on Dreyfus ... wish to reconsider?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1372 on: September 09, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »

Nope. Even Latham can be right sometimes Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1373 on: September 09, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »

Nope. Even Latham can be right sometimes Wink

I believe the saying is "a stopped clock is right twice a day."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1374 on: September 09, 2013, 06:46:59 AM »

Sounds like it'll most likely be Shorten if he wants it.

The thing is though, it sounds like with the newly reformed procedure that the ALP has in place for selecting its leadership, it's very difficult to depose a sitting leader except immediately after an election loss.  So whoever they pick as leader now is very likely to still be leader going into the 2016 election.....but will then surely be dumped for someone new if the party loses.  So whoever announces that they want to become leader now is making a bet that the 2016 election will be winnable.  Otherwise, it's better to wait, and set yourself up for 2019.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies