Australia - 7 September 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:52:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia - 7 September 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 57
Author Topic: Australia - 7 September 2013  (Read 156770 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »

Gillard knits for a women's magazine- gift for the royal baby. Married women, I'm guessing? Certainly a change of tack.

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2013, 05:53:44 AM »

The Labor caucus have held its last meeting pre-election, and Gillard has survived, although former minister Graham Richardson thinks there might be a challenge on Thursday, although he cannot say if Rudd will challenge:

http://www.skynews.com.au/politics/article.aspx?id=882811
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »

Do any of you think that a defeat of the magnitude we are seeing for the Labor Party at the federal level will translate into continuing Liberal victories in future state elections after this September, like in South Australia for instance?   

Winning a huge victory without being actually popular is more likely to spell 'disaster' for the next few lesser-order elections. Though if the first such elections are in the remaining Labor-held states, maybe not.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »

Oakeshott announces his retirement. A pity, I was expecting that to be the largest seat swing and wondering just how large it might be... Now we'll never know...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »

Gillard expects a ballot petition but MPs could be forced to quite literally put their hands up for the motion to proceed. Tongue I'm still betting on Gillard being PM on Saturday. Rudd's conditions haven't been met.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »

Oakeshott announces his retirement. A pity, I was expecting that to be the largest seat swing and wondering just how large it might be... Now we'll never know...

Look on the bright side - it means the National Party can invest more effort into ousting Tony Windsor!

I agree, this should all come to no change.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2013, 07:38:38 PM by Reagan and Thatcher's Long Lost Son »

Do any of you think that a defeat of the magnitude we are seeing for the Labor Party at the federal level will translate into continuing Liberal victories in future state elections after this September, like in South Australia for instance?  

Winning a huge victory without being actually popular is more likely to spell 'disaster' for the next few lesser-order elections. Though if the first such elections are in the remaining Labor-held states, maybe not.

As I Can't Get That Sound You Make, Out Of My Head said earlier, there is a good chance Victoria will elect a Labor government in November 2014, unless a motion-of-no-confidence is passed there earlier.

UPDATE: Tony Windsor has also announced his retirement, this means that both New England and Lyne should be easy National gains.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

Both of them are cowards who betrayed their constituents and are fleeing the scene to avoid the swing against them from being presented as the proof of this betrayal. Regardless, I think that the National Party vote will be very similar, regardless of their disappearance on the ballot paper. I suspect very few people who vote for the Nationals candidate would have voted for either of the independents had they contested anyway.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »

There will be a leadership ballot tomorrow at 9 A.M., if the Daily Telegraph is to be believed. Rudd supporters have gathered enough signatures to push for a spill, and apparently it has been confirmed that he plans to contest it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/kevin-rudd-to-challenge-pm-julia-gillard-for-labor-leadership-tomorrow-morning/story-e6freuy9-1226670143790

...I'm still skeptical on this. If I had to make a bet, I'd say he stays out and she's elected unopposed, again.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

There will be a leadership ballot tomorrow at 9 A.M., if the Daily Telegraph is to be believed. Rudd supporters have gathered enough signatures to push for a spill, and apparently it has been confirmed that he plans to contest it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/kevin-rudd-to-challenge-pm-julia-gillard-for-labor-leadership-tomorrow-morning/story-e6freuy9-1226670143790

...I'm still skeptical on this. If I had to make a bet, I'd say he stays out and she's elected unopposed, again.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2013, 10:58:42 PM »

Live blog on the unfolding developments for those who are interested:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/the-pulse-live/politics-live-june-26-2013-20130626-2ovyx.html
y4t7sds12
Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -1.04

« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2013, 01:21:33 AM »

7pm AEST.
mattyman
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:39 AM »

Gillard has called another leadership vote 7pm tonight!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #338 on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:36 AM »

For those wondering, 7pm AEST is ~2hr 10 min from now.  Meanwhile, Kevin Rudd will apparently hold a press conference at 5pm AEST, which is ~10 min from now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #339 on: June 26, 2013, 01:52:57 AM »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/kevin-rudd-to-challenge-pm-julia-gillard-for-labor-leadership-tomorrow-morning/story-e6frg6n6-1226670143790

You must be logged in to read this quote.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #340 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »

Apparently Gillard saying she'd retire if she loses, and is calling on the other loser to do so too.

Labor may be wiped out in Queensland if Gillard wins.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2013, 02:08:03 AM »

Apparently Gillard saying she'd retire if she loses, and is calling on the other loser to do so too.

Labor won't lose Griffith simply because Rudd isn't the candidate. It's possible it could lose the seat, but that would only be if they picked a poor candidate who proceeded to make numerous campaign mistakes, and it coincided with a conservative "wave" election.
y4t7sds12
Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -1.04

« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2013, 02:13:34 AM »

Rudd to run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2013, 02:27:08 AM »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/in-depth/rudd-to-take-on-pm-for-leadership/story-fnhqeu0x-1226670119125

Other sources suggest that Rudd is accepting Gillard's challenge, to retire from politics if he loses.

Rudd is gaining on betting sites, and it looks like he's the betting favorite at the moment.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:36 AM »

Rudd winning today won't automatically make him Prime Minister:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/independents-still-crucial-to-vote-20130626-2owyc.html

I'm a bit confused about that final outcome.  If the Independents refuse to back Abbott and they refuse to back Rudd, the election happens early, but who is PM in the interim?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #345 on: June 26, 2013, 02:46:21 AM »

Labor won't lose Griffith simply because Rudd isn't the candidate. It's possible it could lose the seat, but that would only be if they picked a poor candidate who proceeded to make numerous campaign mistakes, and it coincided with a conservative "wave" election.
tbf his personal vote is apparently massive. Though it's only measuring primary votes.

Rudd would hold Griffith, but his replacement may not.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2013, 02:54:04 AM »

Latest ad
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #347 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:03 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2013, 03:19:47 AM by Mr. Morden »

I'm a bit confused about that final outcome.  If the Independents refuse to back Abbott and they refuse to back Rudd, the election happens early, but who is PM in the interim?

To follow up on this, what is the exact procedure for what happens if Rudd deposes Gillard?  Rudd goes to Bryce and says "I'm the ALP Leader now, so please declare me PM"?  He has to demonstrate the support of the majority of the House, but how is this achieved if the Parliament isn't in session?  Does Gillard continue on as PM until the House affirmatively demonstrates its backing of Rudd (or someone else)?

EDIT: Forget the part I crossed out.  I forgot that they're still in session tomorrow.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #348 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:34 AM »

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/the-pulse-live/politics-live-june-26-2013-20130626-2ovyx.html

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2013, 03:25:49 AM »

Gillard goes to the GG and resigns, she appoints Rudd as PM, Abbott passes a motion of no confidence in the house, and then either

a) Rudd has the support of the chamber and remains PM until an election at a time of his choosing.

b) Rudd loses the support of the chamber, and Abbott gains it, and he remains PM until an election at a time of his choosing.

c) Rudd loses the support of the chamber, and Abbott doesn't gain it, but someone else does and becomes PM until an election at the time of their choosing.

d) Rudd loses the support of the parliament, and nobody else gains it, and poarliament automatically goes into caretaker mode until an election is held at the earliest possible moment, and the GG has the opportunity to choose someone other than Rudd as caretaker PM, but would be very unlikely to choose anyone else than Abbott or Rudd.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies