Australia - 7 September 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia - 7 September 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 57
Author Topic: Australia - 7 September 2013  (Read 156631 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: September 04, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »

Teddy is wrong ...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1176 on: September 04, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »

Abbott says he'll resign if he loses.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1177 on: September 04, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »

Knowing that makes his victory more distressing
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1178 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

I still can't get my head round the fact he's lasted nearly 4 years as party leader. In Australia.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1179 on: September 04, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

*INTERNAL POLLING CAVEAT*

Rumbles that Kate Ellis in Adelaide is on a knife-edge (which probably means 2-3%), suggesting that SA could be tricky, but expect the bigger swings in the safer ALP seats, like Adelaide. The other, which seems to reflect a lot of hesitation on the part of many on Greenway, internals are suggesting it is 50/50 - but the rest of Sydney is ugly ... as we know.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #1180 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »

Predictions are judged as predictions, not statements of fact. In general, possible outcomes are modeled on a bell curve. Mathematically, if 97-50-3 has some probability of occurring you simply cannot label his prediction "wrong."  All you can say is that 97-50-3 way to the Coalition side of the bell curve distribution by your analysis.  Maybe, 97-50-3 is a two-, three-, or four-sigma event by conventional analysis. Then again, the recent victory of the Liberal party in British Columbia was modeled as a three-, or possibly four-, sigma event.  For you to imply that a 97-50-3 is an infinite-sigma event is, I suspect, simply wrong.

A fortnight, or so, after the election night we shall all see whose predictions turned out to more prescient than the others.

I would end by asking who is to really know whether those that predicted a BC Liberal victory were particularly astute political analysts or partisan Grit hacks putting their hearts before their heads?  Every Sunday somebody wins the football pool. Someone is going to win this contest. In hindsight, it will be because they correctly called the tossups  and/or they predicted the right "upsets."  Whether that was a matter of skill or dumb luck we'll never know. Personally, I'm in the camp of recognizing that what we don't know what we don't know. One of the things we simply don't know is who is going to win a number of close contests on Saturday.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1181 on: September 04, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »

Alright then, the conclusion his analysis has reached, will end up being wrong, because there are so many more variables this year than 2010 as well as local circumstances which will lead to uneven application of swings.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1182 on: September 04, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »

Teddy's not usually very good at predicting our elections, leta lone a country on the other side of the world. Kudos to him though, I wouldn't know where to begin in making a prediction.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #1183 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »

Rumbles that Kate Ellis in Adelaide is on a knife-edge (which probably means 2-3%), suggesting that SA could be tricky, but expect the bigger swings in the safer ALP seats, like Adelaide. The other, which seems to reflect a lot of hesitation on the part of many on Greenway, internals are suggesting it is 50/50 - but the rest of Sydney is ugly ... as we know.

I think Ellis will hold Adelaide narrowly, I can see bigger swings in outer Adelaide seats myself. Like I've said before, you'll all see my predictions tomorrow.

I can't access the article, did Abbott say he would resign from Parliament or just resign as leader?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1184 on: September 04, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »

He'd resign as leader.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1185 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »

Was that the same Teddy that used to post here?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1186 on: September 04, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »

yup
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1187 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »

I think Ellis will hold Adelaide narrowly, I can see bigger swings in outer Adelaide seats myself. Like I've said before, you'll all see my predictions tomorrow.

For the past couple of weeks, the reports have been Liberals ahead in Hindmarsh and Wakefield, and close but behind in Adelaide. Holden workers voting to give themselves a pay cut to keep the factory open, following Rudd's changes to FBT which remove vehicle exemption type things is probably part of the reason why Labor isn't doing as well in some parts of Adelaide. Plus, the pendulum is pretty high there and in Victoria for Labor.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1188 on: September 04, 2013, 08:47:34 PM »

I think Labor barely hang on to Hindmarsh (my predictions say it'll be the closest loss), keep Adelaide due to Greens preferences (seats like that don't swing that much) and hold on against a large swing in Wakefield.

As for La Trobe, I reckon Labor lose it, but it'll go to whoever wins the election. Ditto Greenway.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1189 on: September 04, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »

I can see very large (6-8%) swings in Makin and Wakefield, probably not enough for the seats to fall though. Maybe Wakefield if it truly is a bloodbath.

For Port Adelaide, also a large swing is on the cards, 5-6%.

Adelaide, Hindmarsh, and Kingston are looking more like 3-5%. Hindmarsh could fall, the others are unlikely.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1190 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »

Paul Murray says this is precisely Latham's prediction, actually.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1191 on: September 04, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

Given what Teddy was banned for, it makes sense Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1192 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »

I make it a rule to pay as little attention to either of these gentlemen
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1193 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »

The Oz quotes Lab sources as expecting to lose 15-20. 50 would be 21, n'est ce pas?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1194 on: September 04, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »

I'm having trouble funding more than 15 I could confidently names as losses.

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1195 on: September 04, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »

I'm having trouble funding more than 15 I could confidently names as losses.

Funding? Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1196 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:49 PM »

Gah - iPhone auto-correct!!!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1197 on: September 04, 2013, 11:48:54 PM »

What I expect on election night:

* NSW to look ugly. I predicted a loss of 7 seats in the Sydney commuter belt, and there could be more. Nevertheless, the swing will be largely restricted to Sydney, and the worse fears of a wipeout will be dumbfounded.
* Victoria to depress Labor, but there are too many safe seats to really hurt them.
* Queensland to hold up wellish, although there'll be a further swing in Brisbane at least.
* South Australia to swing hard, but it ultimately won't cost them further seats.
* Not much change in Western Australia.
* Tasmania to look ugly, but at least Labor will sort of hang on.
* No-one to talk about territories, yet some further movement away from Labor.
* In general, 3rd parties to underachieve. Although I predicted that the LNP will lose Fairfax, I'll now say that the 3rd parties won't really dent the current pendulum. Personally, the KAP won't do much, the PUP will underperform and a lot of Senate bolters won't happen.

At the end of the day, it won't look that bad, but it'll make it hard to win government back. But it could still easily be Queensland 2.0.

As for the Senate (my HOR predictions are in another thread)

NSW: At this stage, I'll say 3 LNP, 2 Labor, 1 Green. One Nation not getting Liberal preferences will screw them given that the LNP will probably be around 3 quotas . Shooters & Fishers an outside shot of gaining the last seat off the Greens, though.

Victoria: Lean 3 LNP, 2 Labor, 1 Green. Think the LNP will be high enough to ward off FFP for the 3rd right spot.

Queensland: Not really sure how to call this. But given that the Greens have more infrastructure in the state than the Palmer United Party, I'll say they win the last seat with the PUP's preferences. 3 LNP, 2 Labor, 1 Green. I initially had Katter winning here, but his party seems to be slumping.

South Australia: 2 Liberal, 2 Labor, 1 Xenophon, 1 TCS. The Climate Skeptics, you may ask? Well, they've got a very good preference flow, and with Xenophon here, it makes it harder for the major parties to get near a 3rd quota. Plus the slogan "No Carbon Tax" may get them some votes, a negligible proportion too, but enough to snatch the last seat.

Western Australia: 3 Liberal, 2 Labor, 1 Green. Though it will be close for the last seat between the Greens and the Nationals. NFI how the preference flows will go.

Tasmania: Undoubtedly the most boring election - I expect the Liberals to get around 3 quotas, Labor to get around 2, and the Greens to get around 1.

ACT: Hard to see Liberals doing worse here than in 2010, given this is probably one of the few locations in Australia where the Gillard-but-not-Rudd population is more than negligible, and a general swing towards the Coalition, despite the candidates for the Liberals and the Greens, so 1 Labor, 1 Liberal.

Northern Territory: 1 Labor, 1 Liberal. Doubt Labor gets under a quota, if they do, they may get swamped by the First Nations Party (basically a party for Indigenous rights, kinda like the Maori Party in New Zealand).

Also, Palmer apparently opposes the carbon tax, yet supports an ETS. So even if he does win it'll be hard to get repeal through the Senate...virtually impossible if the Greens get the last seat in South Australia.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1198 on: September 05, 2013, 01:43:59 AM »

Libs have released their uncosted costings, nothing savaged except foreign aid.

Not helpful to Seselja though, as along with the 12000 job cuts the Libs want a further efficiency dividend. Any public servants still undecided will jump into Labor and the Greens now I suspect.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1199 on: September 05, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »

I think story of the costings is two fold - Hockey and Robb looked... terrible, Hockey in particular. The other is that while it does undermine the ALP's slash and burn angle - it completely knee-caps their own 'Budget emergency' angle... they end up $6bn a year better off... in 4 years... if things don't change... and the Senate passes everything.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies