House of Cards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:16:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  House of Cards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 23101 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »

All 13 episodes of the remake will be on Netflix on the 1st. The NPR review makes it sound pretty good.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »

They might very well... etc. So excited, but of course it won't compare.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »

Not amazing like the original, but still good. The original had the "shock" factor going for it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »

Not amazing like the original, but still good. The original had the "shock" factor going for it.

It also had Ian Richardson in the leading role. Not that Spacey is anything other than a very fine actor indeed, but...
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »

Binge viewed the entire season the last few days. It's a great story, the dialogue is no West Wing, but it is still very good. Spacey's delivery is thrilling, and I like the idea that (spoilers) there are people out there who are just as smart and can play ball right back, as opposed to the original (when FU and his wife were the only proper geniuses in the game).

Can't wait for Season 2. Cheesy
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »

I love Spacey, so at some point, I'll be watching this.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2013, 10:03:55 PM by Simfan34 »

This too.

Binge viewed the entire season the last few days. It's a great story, the dialogue is no West Wing, but it is still very good. Spacey's delivery is thrilling, and I like the idea that (spoilers) there are people out there who are just as smart and can play ball right back, as opposed to the original (when FU and his wife were the only proper geniuses in the game).

So is Stamper as mindlessly loyal? Mattie Storin still having daddy-issues? Roger O'Neill has his cocaine addiction? Collingridge as naive and pliable?

Shame Ian Richardson has died. Maybe we'd have a crossover. Sad In related things, I love the exceedingly detailed Wikipedia page of Francis Urqhart.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2013, 10:37:03 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

This too.

So is Stamper as mindlessly loyal? Mattie Storin still having daddy-issues? Roger O'Neill has his cocaine addiction? Collingridge as naive and pliable?

Shame Ian Richardson has died. Maybe we'd have a crossover. Sad In related things, I love the exceedingly detailed Wikipedia page of Francis Urqhart.

Stamper is still incredibly loyal, but I think that's more due to him being a Chief of Staff than anything. The Storin replacement actually mentions Spacey having the whole 'daddy' issue (which poetically lines up with American Beauty). She's more like Urquhart's wife from the original version. The O'Neill replacement is far more tragic.

I think the most sinister thing about this is that Spacey and his wife are actually liberals. Or maybe that's just my hackishness bleeding through. Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 12:18:59 AM »

Whaaa I feel like FU is impossible to cast as a liberal! Must make it all the more powerful.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:24:56 AM »

This is so good.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

The Rt. Hon. Francis Urquhart reacting to the news Americans just remade him:

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »

I'm not at all happy with the distribution model here.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »

Neither am I, because I don't have Netflix.  But at the same time, you can watch all of the episodes at once... that's pretty neat.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »

Neither am I, because I don't have Netflix.  But at the same time, you can watch all of the episodes at once... that's pretty neat.

The problem is that television has always been an essentially public medium; everyone watches episodes at the same time (or now, with DVRs, within the span of a day or two) and then talks about them together. It's how television discussion works. If this catches on, then that is gone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »

It's also not really using the length that television allows drama in an appropriate or effective way.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

The problem is that television has always been an essentially public medium; everyone watches episodes at the same time (or now, with DVRs, within the span of a day or two) and then talks about them together. It's how television discussion works. If this catches on, then that is gone.

Join the club.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 09:06:00 PM by Paul Kemp »

I've only watched two episodes so far. It's decent. I just REALLY hate Spacey's monologues and the breaking of the fourth wall; it's a bit jarring and sometimes cringe worthy. I'm not sure if the original version featured this too.

I'm not quite sure why Netflix doesn't just release one episode a week, rather than all of them at once. It would be the best way to maintain interest.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 11:46:06 PM by Politico »

I've only watched two episodes so far. It's decent. I just REALLY hate Spacey's monologues and the breaking of the fourth wall; it's a bit jarring and sometimes cringe worthy. I'm not sure if the original version featured this too.

Ian Richardson executed the asides flawlessly (part of the charm of the original), but Spacey does fall flat from time to time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »

Monologues?  Breaking the fourth wall? David Fincher?

Is this Fight Club the Series?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:01 AM »

But that happens less and less now.  During the school year, I rarely watch my shows live.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »

Ian Richardson executed the asides flawlessly (part of the charm of the original), but Spacey does fall flat from time to time.

Richardson was a prominent stage Shakespearean actor and that's he was simply marvelous in the original series.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »

Spacey has a tendency to come off as a caricature in most of his roles over the last ten years or so. I'm not sure if his portrayal of Underwood continues in that vein but it seems so.

I'm about five episodes in.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »

Spacey has a tendency to come off as a caricature in most of his roles over the last ten years or so. I'm not sure if his portrayal of Underwood continues in that vein but it seems so.

I'm about five episodes in.

I'm at 10th now.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

Richardson was a prominent stage Shakespearean actor and that's he was simply marvelous in the original series.

FWIW, Spacey has a long career on the stage also. I've been impressed by some of his appearances in O'neill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 05:20:40 PM »

After 10th episode I think they did a good job in adapting the whole idea on American ground. It's impossible to duplicate since the original series was a very British thing.

I like what they did with Russo character, far more developed and complex than Roger O'Neill who was pretty much nothing but a crackhead.

FWIW, Spacey has a long career on the stage also. I've been impressed by some of his appearances in O'neill.

Wow, I didn't know that, but comes as no surprise. After all, a good actor can play before camera as well as on the stage Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies