House of Cards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:09:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  House of Cards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 23127 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2015, 01:34:23 AM »

Yes, America Works makes absolutely zero sense from either a policy or politics perspective. One of the many reasons I believe that season 3 was literally written by children.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2015, 01:44:14 AM »

Spoilerish discussion below:

So, how the heck does America Works... work, anyway?  Annihilate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and plunge their funding into a massive government works program to wipe out unemployment?  I get the appeal of the latter, but what the hell kind of appeal does the former have, if there's apparently nothing to replace them?

AmWorks is said to cost $500 billion, so that'd be about one-third of current annual spending on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. I think those programs' trust funds would actually have the money to spare, because in the previous season Frank masterminded his "compromise" on entitlement spending with the Republicans, which raised the retirement age and basically gutted those programs without reducing the payroll tax.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »

I wrapped up S3 and I must say I was kind of disappointing. I loved the original show and the first 2 seasons but this season the characters changed in strange ways that made them less interesting. I agree with this article regarding my main objection about the direction of the characters:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/07/that-s-it-house-of-cards-you-lost-me.html

And they really seem to get political reality wrong. This WP article sums up the political weirdness
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/03/08/house-of-cards-is-the-worst-show-about-american-politics-ever/
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

As silly as House of Cards is, this season was objectively a lot better and more coherent than the utterly nonsensical and disjointed Season 2.

And like its British predecessor (which includes Urquhart forcing the abdication of the king), it was never meant to be an accurate depiction of politics.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »

It just occurred to me that from a personal perspective, Frank is probably obsessed with America Works and gutting entitlements because of his hatred for his father, and his feeling that he just laid around and never amounted to anything.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »

As silly as House of Cards is, this season was objectively a lot better and more coherent than the utterly nonsensical and disjointed Season 2.

And like its British predecessor (which includes Urquhart forcing the abdication of the king), it was never meant to be an accurate depiction of politics.

Well that was because Charles was meddling in politics. Which they've made a play about, actually.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2015, 07:02:34 PM »

So, how the heck does America Works... work, anyway?  Annihilate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and plunge their funding into a massive government works program to wipe out unemployment?  I get the appeal of the latter, but what the hell kind of appeal does the former have, if there's apparently nothing to replace them?

Yeah, I don't understand it either. I mean, what the hell? Are the people suppoused to fund their own retirement and medical care at the same level as before solely from their pensions, with no program like Social Security or Medicare to make it actually work? Lol.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »

Also, can somebody please shoot the random opera singer that keeps butting into my consciousness during the SUPER SERIOUS SCENES.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »

So, how the heck does America Works... work, anyway?  Annihilate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and plunge their funding into a massive government works program to wipe out unemployment?  I get the appeal of the latter, but what the hell kind of appeal does the former have, if there's apparently nothing to replace them?

I think, at least this is how he'd justify it, is the annihilating of those programs are to pay for American Works. It's pretty convoluted and makes little sense.

Annihilation wasn't exactly what was being proposed though. Gutting, yes, but not complete wipeout. Underwood's whole calculus is that those who receive a pension should receive less and investment in a younger generation is far more worth government money than paying it to out to pensions. His whole "You are entitled to nothing" crap is probably has its logical conclusions in "The money you're getting now is the money you would have gotten when you were retired, and when you do retire, you better have invested that money wisely." >_>
It exemplifies one aspect of the Democrats: They do see themselves as the party of the young, so it could make sense for an amoral Democrat to gut spending that benefits older voters, a traditionally Republican group (and also one with a higher percentage of white people).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »

Mendoza was written out because the actor had other commitments (American Crime).
'

It was still very abrupt. Couldn't he have at least finished the season? Or if they were going to write him out midseason, couldn't they at least have given him a proper departure rather than just a few throwaway lines?

So, how absurd is the 2016 map gonna be? We talking 2006 West Wing absurd, if you ask me.

Hey at least South Carolina going Dem would be somewhat plausible this time!

Only slightly more...Underwood's never won a statewide election.
There is one way to have fun with Mendoza's departure. It could be used to seed a big bad for Season 4: a Republican candidate just as vicious as Frank Underwood. Leaking dirt on the party's favorite for the presidential nomination is the kind of thing Frank would do.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »

Netflix should really stop trying to make original content, they're terrible at it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »

Netflix should really stop trying to make original content, they're terrible at it.

No. If Netflix were a TV network, it would definitely be one of the better ones.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »

Is it fair to say that Underwood is Bill Clinton on steroids?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »

No. If Netflix were a TV network, it would definitely be one of the better ones.

Nah, FX, HBO, Comedy Central, and AMC are the good ones.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »

You've clearly never watched OITNB.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »

Is it fair to say that Underwood is Bill Clinton on steroids?

No
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »

just no
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »

You've clearly never watched OITNB.

Can't say that I have
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »

Petrov is a great character though. I loved his slapping Frank around like a little child.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2015, 12:35:58 AM »

Petrov is a great character though. I loved his slapping Frank around like a little child.

Yeah but they really should have just straight up named him Vladimir Putin.  They're not fooling anybody.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »

Yeah but they really should have just straight up named him Vladimir Putin.  They're not fooling anybody.

But Putin doesn't drink. Muh original character.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »

You tried too hard to jump onto the anti-HoC bandwagon that is forming here.

Personally, I wholeheartedly enjoyed it...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »

Just watched the episode where Frank kills Peter Russo last night. Good stuff so far!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »

You tried too hard to jump onto the anti-HoC bandwagon that is forming here.

Personally, I wholeheartedly enjoyed it...

Lol, I stopped watching after Season 1 because of how bad the first season was and the only interesting character (that alcoholic Congressman Corey Stoll played) got killed off.  There may or may not be a bandwagon, but I've thought it was an awful show for a while.  I've also seen the British series, so I know how much better this material could've been done. 

I mean, I'm glad you like it and all, but I still haven't seen evidence Netflix can produce anything decent as far as original content goes.  I haven't seen OITNB, so I can't comment on that, but House of Cards was a disappointment (cringe-inducingly bad writing with a couple of good performances), Lillyhammer looked boring, the Netflix season of Arrested Development wasn't funny, and Hemlock Grove was one of the dumbest pieces of crap I've ever come across.  Maybe it's too early to render final judgement, but if House of Cards is the best they can do...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »

The Netflix-made season of Trailer Park Boys was pretty good.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies