House of Cards
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:14:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  House of Cards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 23063 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2015, 04:36:18 PM »

Lilyhammer is great pastiche. Season 3 is partially over the top but the end has some compelling drama and seeing Bruce Springsteen as a hitman never wears off.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »

Lilyhammer is great pastiche. Season 3 is partially over the top but the end has some compelling drama and seeing Bruce Springsteen as a hitman never wears off.

Bruce Springsteen isn't the hitman, it's the guy who played Silvio (Tony's consigliere) on The Sopranos.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »

RIP Zoe Barnes Sad
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »

Everyone I know found that scene hilarious.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »

I did too. The way she just flew through the air was a bit silly, and I fully expected it as soon as she entered the station.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »

Bruce Springsteen isn't the hitman, it's the guy who played Silvio (Tony's consigliere) on The Sopranos.

Bruce Springsteen appears in the season finale of the third season, that's what he's referring to.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »

For some reason Zoe Barnes annoyed me Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »

She was definitely the most annoying character, for sure.  Btw, have they gotten any more subtle about their product placement?  I seem to recall it being patheticly blatant in Season 1 with regard to video games.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

She was definitely the most annoying character, for sure.  Btw, have they gotten any more subtle about their product placement?  I seem to recall it being patheticly blatant in Season 1 with regard to video games.

Season 3 featured a blatant ad for an iPhone game app, which is admittedly awesome, but not free.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:32 PM »

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that Frank seems to "talk to the audience" less in this season? Subtle snubbing of us now that he's made it big? Tongue
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »

Definitely the worst season, since it became even more absurd without becoming more engaging (at least for me). Claire's character development is interesting though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2015, 01:18:20 AM »

Claire's character development is interesting though.

Development is a kind word for what they've done with her. I don't find her actions in S3 remotely consistent with the previous seasons. It seems all she is now is someone who intentionally or otherwise messes up Frank's plans and is a general pain in the ass. I can't stand her anymore.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2015, 06:44:25 PM »

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that Frank seems to "talk to the audience" less in this season? Subtle snubbing of us now that he's made it big? Tongue
I liked how the judge with alzheimers seemed to pick up on it.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2015, 07:31:18 PM »

I liked how the judge with alzheimers seemed to pick up on it.

I think that's supposed to represent how the Judge could see through Frank's facade and could see his true character.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »

Yeah but they really should have just straight up named him Vladimir Putin.  They're not fooling anybody.

Given what happened with the Interview and Kim Jong Un that's probably not a great idea. Russia isn't North Korea, but still.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »

Ugh, I certainly noticed. It was for the worse, IMHO.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2015, 06:33:12 AM »

Just finished Season 3. This show has gotten f[Inks]ing terrible now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

I liked her at first, but the more she dug into Frank, the more I grew tired of her.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »

She was definitely the most annoying character, for sure.  Btw, have they gotten any more subtle about their product placement?  I seem to recall it being patheticly blatant in Season 1 with regard to video games.
I liked her at first, but the more she dug into Frank, the more I grew tired of her.

What annoyed me about her was:

1) She's pretty obnoxious in an uninteresting and unentertaining way.  It was grating.  When her boss gets fired for calling her a c**nt/bitch (I forget the exact word), it was hard to disagree with his assessment even if he was an idiot for calling her that to her face rather than just firing her or banishing her to a broom closet office until she quit.

2) It felt like about a third of her screen time was an excuse for the show to babble about how "OMG, interweb journalism is teh futurz!!!"

3) Worst of all, we're often told by other characters that she's a talented/up-and-coming reporter, but she never actually does anything to remotely demonstrate this.  It's like how characters on Homeland always babble about how "brilliant" Carrie is even though by any objective measure she's a crazy person who should've been fired early in the first season and is terrible at her job.  All Zoe Barnes actually does is have sex with a powerful member of Congress and prostitute her self for scoops (and is being used as an unwitting pawn by said Congressman).  She can't get any stories when she stops sleeping with Underwood.  Actually, now that I think about it, I can't think of any female reporters in the first season who occupy their position based on merit rather than who they sleep with.  This is a problem in and of itself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »

She was definitely the most annoying character, for sure.  Btw, have they gotten any more subtle about their product placement?  I seem to recall it being patheticly blatant in Season 1 with regard to video games.

What annoyed me about her was:

1) She's pretty obnoxious in an uninteresting and unentertaining way.  It was grating.  When her boss gets fired for calling her a c**nt/bitch (I forget the exact word), it was hard to disagree with his assessment even if he was an idiot for calling her that to her face rather than just firing her or banishing her to a broom closet office until she quit.

2) It felt like about a third of her screen time was an excuse for the show to babble about how "OMG, interweb journalism is teh futurz!!!"

3) Worst of all, we're often told by other characters that she's a talented/up-and-coming reporter, but she never actually does anything to remotely demonstrate this.  It's like how characters on Homeland always babble about how "brilliant" Carrie is even though by any objective measure she's a crazy person who should've been fired early in the first season and is terrible at her job.  All Zoe Barnes actually does is have sex with a powerful member of Congress and prostitute her self for scoops (and is being used as an unwitting pawn by said Congressman).  She can't get any stories when she stops sleeping with Underwood.  Actually, now that I think about it, I can't think of any female reporters in the first season who occupy their position based on merit rather than who they sleep with.  This is a problem in and of itself.
Yeah, even Janine slept around for sources. Only the paper's badass owner is portrayed as "above the belt."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2015, 02:13:21 AM »

SPOILERS

I always thought Zoe Barnes was a sympathetic character. The conflict with her editor is the classic clash between "old media" and "new media", the established vs the up-and-coming. Of course, as the younger character, Zoe was going to be cast in the role of "new media". The point of her editor's firing was that it was new media that got him fired - the new media that can get someone fired just for one mistaken word that is publicized in the wrong way. House of Cards would hardly be a relevant show if it did not acknowledge the presence of social media and its significance in politics in some way.

Of course both her and Janine are portrayed as only getting stories by sleeping with those in the "inner circle." But Janine's behavior is in the past, so all we see is Zoe's- and you can hardly blame her, given the vast benefits that doing so accrued her. Her only mistake was getting too close to her subject... So the guilt of promoting negative stereotypes of women journalists rebound on the show's writers, not the characters. However, when I was watching it, I thought it was supposed to be a commentary on how power at the center is still male in nature and that trading sex for favors (of any type) does not alter that dynamic. Women who trade sex for favors from the rich and powerful are still at their mercy.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2015, 05:44:35 AM »

Just finished Season 3. Wasn't as a good as the first two. The pacing was off, the stories weren't as engaging and so on. Still liked it, just a step down from before.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »

SEASON 4 IS UP! SEASON 4 IS UP! SEASON 4 IS UP!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »

I was foolishly hoping the season 4 would be a resolution of the story. Now we have to wait yet another year...
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »

Great season. Good to be back on track after a slow third season.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies