I met The Donald today. AMA.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:28:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I met The Donald today. AMA.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I met The Donald today. AMA.  (Read 2569 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:45:14 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2020, 09:45:17 AM by Back by popular demand. »

So today I attended the FL-GOP's Sunshine State Summit. My lodging and travel was covered by the firm in which I interned while as my ticket (a general admission pass) was covered by the party. I arrived at 9:30 AM, waited in line for forty minutes to get inside. Halfway through the line, I realized that none other than the legendary Roger Stone walked by. I eventually found my way in, caught the tail end of Rick Scott's speech, saw Rubio, David Jolly (Senate candidate), Mike Huckabee, and a few others.

I got bored after an hour and a half of speeches and ran into a candidate who I worked for in 2012. It was the first time since election night 2012 that I have seen him, and he invited me in to watch Jeb Bush's speech in the afternoon. So I wandered about, and ran into, among others, former Congressman and Attorney General Bill McCollum, Roger Stone (who posed for a picture with me and spoke at length with me) and Todd Wilcox, a businessman running for Senate who I met several times before, as well as Rick Koszell, a candidate in FL-18 who seems to be everywhere I go.

I then went to see Lindsey Graham for sh**ts and giggles. In a room that had ~2,000 people earlier, only 200-300 showed up. His speech was slow, long, and boring. After the speech, he briefly greeted some people. He was just about to leave when I asked for a picture. The bloodthirsty old queen literally groaned and said "make it quick" before immediately taking off. He was a total dick.

I bought a Trump, Paul, and Gilmore button, and found Jim Gilmore's booth. It had no signs, besides a printed piece of paper taped to the back that said "Meet Governor Gilmore at noon, Saturday!" So I put my Gilmore button on, sat down, and waited for somebody to come by. After ten minutes, a woman did ask about the campaign, and I told her (with a face that was probably bright red as I barely kept a straight face) that my name was "Jack Canoff" and that I was Gilmore's youth director. I also randomly told her that he was staying at the Budget Inn near the turnpike for added affect. Eventually I got bored of pretending to be on the Gilmore campaign and left before I got kicked out. I found Adam Hasner again, and I got to sit in the front row VIP section with him during Jeb's speech until security tried to remove me. Mr. Hasner insisted that I stay with him, and the guard relented. Afterwards, a man behind me told me that he was leaving (he only came to see Jeb) and gave me his pass, which literally said "CABINET-GUEST." So I had complete, unfiltered access for the rest of the day. I used it to enter the VIP lounge, where I met Rick Wilson, and afterwards I just wandered about until I saw a huge crowd forming. The Donald was due to arrive.

I pushed my way in, and The Donald entered to a wild, rock star reception. I reached my hand out and started chanting "President Trump! President Trump!" He looked over at me, smiled, and reached his hand out. His fingers barely rubbed my palm. While it was no handshake, it was cool. I then went to the main room, which was 100% filled, and found myself in the front VIP row with my cabinet secretary pass. I listened to the speech, sometimes cheered, sometimes booed, and immediately jumped to the rope line as he went to greet the crowds. As he approached, he grabbed, without even asking, the pass around my neck and signed it, and then shook my hand. I said "we're with you Mr. Trump" and he replied "No! I am with you! It was so cool. I was almost tackled by a secret service agent since I tried to go under the rope and move up the side to avoid the literal stampede of people behind me. Apparently this entire scene was aired on C-SPAN, and my Aunt and Uncle watched it live!

The funny thing is, the guy who gave me the pass was unknown to me at the time, but I later found out that it was a certain lobbyist whose father has been one of my dad's most frequently used business contacts. My dad has bought hundreds of trucks from his father. I knew this man's dad, but I haven't met his son despite hearing about him for literally years, and I know for a fact that he knows who I am since his father has frequently told me that he tells his son about me. Maybe when I told him my name he recognized it? I don't know, but it was cool. My dad and his dad go back 30 something years.

So yeah, that was my day. Ask away if you care to do so. I'll have pictures up soon.

2020 Edit: who’s laughing now stranger in a strange land?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »

Seconds before I met Trump.

Graham was an asshole.

Roger Freaking Stone!

Also met....
Former Florida AG Bill McCollum
Candidate Paul Spain (FL-22 nominee in 2014, FL-18 candidate in 2016)
Candidate Rick Koszell (FL-18 candidate in 2016)
Senate candidate Todd Wilcox
Commentator Rick Wilson (or at least it was some dude who looked like him and said he was)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 12:15:40 AM »

Awesome! How was Trump irl?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:24:15 AM »

YUGE.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 12:38:24 AM »

If I had to pick one of those three upon which to wish terminal health conditions, I'd go with Roger Stone - what a Horrible Person!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 12:58:06 AM »

I've met Donald Trump twice in the last month. Got nice pictures both times.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 02:47:40 AM »

This a random comment but you're starting to look a lot like Bacon King.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »

Why was Graham an asshat?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »

Your brief tenure as a Gilmore campaigner was the best part!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »

so jealous
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »

If I had to pick one of those three upon which to wish terminal health conditions, I'd go with Roger Stone - what a Horrible Person!
Yeah....but he's soooo cool Tongue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

This a random comment but you're starting to look a lot like Bacon King.
I appreciate the compliment!

He literally groaned when I asked for a picture, I kid you not.

Your brief tenure as a Gilmore campaigner was the best part!
I had a very boring two hours; I was sitting at the booth going through Tinder, hoping that one of the young interns for the party/volunteers/visiting College Republicans might be around. The closest person was twelve miles away, and I wasn't about to leave even if somehow I did get a match.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »

This is almost as good as when I went to the pub with Andy Burham Tongue

Really though it's a good read, the best thing about working politics is that you can fanboy over stuff like this
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 07:41:10 PM »

So I put my Gilmore button on, sat down, and waited for somebody to come by. After ten minutes, a woman did ask about the campaign, and I told her (with a face that was probably bright red as I barely kept a straight face) that my name was "Jack Canoff" and that I was Gilmore's youth director. I also randomly told her that he was staying at the Budget Inn near the turnpike for added affect. Eventually I got bored of pretending to be on the Gilmore campaign and left before I got kicked out.

You are a paragon of self-composure.  I'd probably have gone with Haywood Jablomi, and then start giggling and would have been bounced immediately.  

It's all very exciting.  Thanks for the update.

Don't judge Graham too harshly.  Maybe he had bad gas and didn't want to fart around you.  

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »

So I put my Gilmore button on, sat down, and waited for somebody to come by. After ten minutes, a woman did ask about the campaign, and I told her (with a face that was probably bright red as I barely kept a straight face) that my name was "Jack Canoff" and that I was Gilmore's youth director. I also randomly told her that he was staying at the Budget Inn near the turnpike for added affect. Eventually I got bored of pretending to be on the Gilmore campaign and left before I got kicked out.

You are a paragon of self-composure.  I'd probably have gone with Haywood Jablomi, and then start giggling and would have been bounced immediately.  

It's all very exciting.  Thanks for the update.

Don't judge Graham too harshly.  Maybe he had bad gas and didn't want to fart around you.  

For what it's worth, the woman kept calling him "Gary Gilmore" which made it all the harder to keep it together.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2015, 08:08:28 PM by angus »

hahahaha!

I'd try to make a joke about Floridians, or Republicans, but your Florida Republican voter seems to have self-effaced quite effectively.  The reality is really hard to top.

Anyway, it all sounds exciting.  Did you get a chance to discuss fiscal policy with Rand Paul?  I met Ron Paul twice, and on both occasions I asked him about federal monetary and fiscal policy, and it was like winding up a doll.  He went on for 15 minutes at least, without breath.  Quite knowledgeable his father was, and very opinionated.  I know less about Senator Paul, but I'd imagine that he is rather like his father in that regard.

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

Question did you watch Kasichs speech beacuse I swear I think I just saw you on CBS..
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »

As entertaining as this is, it makes me glad that I am not a Republican.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »

You look kind of like tall skinny Miles.

Also, obviously super jealous you got to meet THE DONALD.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

I was talking with a guy in the hot tub today at the club who said he likes to go to Las Vegas frequently.  Suddenly we hit it off, talking about all the places we had stayed.  Sands, Sahara, Luxor, Aladdin, MGM Grand, etc.  Anyway, he mentioned at some point that he was with his brother at some god-forsaken hellhole around Needles or 29 Palms, in-between Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and that they had stopped in the Mohave Desert and wanted to get a picture of themselves.  They saw a group of guys and asked if one of them would just snap a shot for them.  They all said no and that they were too busy, but one of them, who happened to play Ross from Friends, whose real name is David Something, said, "I got the time man, give me your phone..." and he made his friends wait for him while he held their smartphone and took a shot.  In fact, apparently he took about seven shots, because--to hear this guy tell it--he is just as nerdy in real life as he is in character on Friends.  He kept saying, "um, no, that's not quite right.  Move a little to the left..."  They ended up spending about ten minutes with this guy just to get one decent shot of two brothers in the Mojave desert.

Be careful what you wish for.

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 11:49:51 PM »

He literally groaned when I asked for a picture, I kid you not.

I would've been like "You know what, I don't want a picture with you anymore"
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 06:44:32 AM »

Graham is mad that he isn't doing well in the polls and that people won't support him so he can wage war in 10+ countries.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 08:50:47 AM »

Wow, that sounds totally awesome!

Also, more proof that Graham doesn't actually want to be President, he just wants to talk about bombing people.

@Angus--having my picture taken at the Mojave Desert by perfectionist photographer David Schwimmer would be awesome. Don't care how long it takes, that's a Grade A conversation piece if I ever did see one.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies