Former Presidents and Modern Parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:20:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Former Presidents and Modern Parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former Presidents and Modern Parties  (Read 914 times)
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »

The idea here is to say what modern parties that any of the following former presidents might belong to if they were alive today. You don't have to assign a party for each one.

Redfor Republican
Blue for Democrat
Yellow for Libertarian
Green for Green
Cyan for Constitution
Purple for other (please explain)

John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
John Quincy Adams
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
James K. Polk
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore
Franklin Pierce
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses S. Grant
Rutherford B. Hayes
James A. Garfield
Chester A. Arthur
Grover Cleveland
Benjamin Harrison
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
William Howard Taft
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

This is using the Atlas color scheme. I have a hard time placing Van Buren, Harrison, and Taylor. I think Van Buren would probably be a liberal Republican, Harrison a moderate Republican or Blue Dog Democrat, and the same for Taylor.
John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe

John Quincy Adams
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
James K. Polk
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore
Franklin Pierce
James Buchanan

Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses S. Grant
Rutherford B. Hayes
James A. Garfield
Chester A. Arthur

Grover Cleveland
Benjamin Harrison
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
William Howard Taft
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »

My guess. What has to be factored in is that the parties back then were decided on much different issues than today, and conservatives might favor more government then where they'd favor less now, and vice-versa. However, there were a few, like Jefferson, that stand out as fundamentally liberal for their times. Adams on the other hand, might be economically progressive to a certain extent, but also socially conservative and moderate on foreign policy. It's a difficult game, no doubt. As well, by modern standards, many presidencies are mixed bags.

John Adams - Moderate North-Eastern Democrat, favorable to banks and the military, though also in favor of nationalist economic policies
Thomas Jefferson - A variety of diffferent ideologies, though definitely a left-libertarian to a large extent who also has some class issues (despite himself coming from the upper class)
James Madison -  A Republican version of Jefferson--anti-taxing, anti-spending though he goes through a Dubya-like transformation on foreign policy after 9/11.
James Monroe
John Quincy Adams - A Simfanic Democrat with culturally Republican tendencies.
Andrew Jackson - War-supporting Ron Paul
Martin Van Buren - Given Van Buren's political skills, he'd probably be a bit different than he was in the 1830's. Assuming he's a Democrat, he'd likely be economically moderate and socially liberal.
William Henry Harrison - Tossup here. War hero though, so in today's world of politics that could whipe all else aside.
John Tyler - I believe his still-living grandson is a Republican and part of his local party, so there's that. Paulesque, to be sure.
James K. Polk - Pro-war, libertarian on economics, etc.
Zachary Taylor - A nationalist and war hero, so yeah.
Millard Fillmore - I guess. Tongue
Franklin Pierce
James Buchanan - Some uknown constitutionalist Democrat who peopel on the internet suspect is gay.
Abraham Lincoln - Given what I know of his domestic policy, I'd say Democrat. However, as with many, it's hard to say given his geographical location and background what he'd be today.
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses S. Grant - Strong military dude, pro-gold, etc. Grant would definitely be a Bush supporter in the wake of 9/11, and supported Reconstruction of his own country's South, so why not of Iraq?
Rutherford B. Hayes - Supported "sound currency". I know little else of him, so yeah.
James A. Garfield - Of what little I know of him, I know that he supported silver as opposed to deflationary/stable gold currency.
Chester A. Arthur - Vetoed an expensive improvement bill, improved the navy, signed some anti-immigrant bills, as I recall.
Grover Cleveland - Another libertarian Republican. Likely wouldn't be politically successful at all in today's New York.
Benjamin Harrison - When unsure, I go with the default.
William McKinley - Difficult time with this one. Though his presidency as it is known screams "OMG! Imperialist Republican!", there's quite much more to the man than is communicated by the beginner's version of his presidency. Were one to take his congressional career, they'd probably say Democrat. Given, however, his presidency's foreign policy and the people who backed him for the office, I'd say a rather out of place Republican.
Theodore Roosevelt - though a very hawkish one, and quite the odd bird in his party.
William Howard Taft - I assume.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »

The same today as they were then, even if they aren't politically similar.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:51:57 AM »

If Taft were alive today, he'd be getting demonized from the right by the Tea Party for being a wishy-washy moderate, as opposed to getting demonized from the left by TR for being a wishy-washy moderate.

And some doctor would go on CNN and tell everyone he was too fat to be president.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2013, 03:27:37 PM by traininthedistance »

John Quincy Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Harrison, and Teddy Roosevelt would be Democrats.  Pretty much everyone else fits better in today's Republican Party, though there is of course significant variation:

Ulysses S. Grant, Chester A. Arthur, and William Howard Taft would be various stripes of RINO-esque establishment moderate, relatively progressive or at least reformist on some social issues but still largely conservative on fiscal issues.  James Garfield was a bimetallist, which probably puts him here too in context, I guess.

John Adams the elder would basically be Simfan: too cosmopolitan for the mainstream of the Republican Party, but way too aristocratic and pro-wealthy for the Dems.

William McKinley fits almost perfectly into the Republican party of today, better than anyone else.  The rest of the Gilded Age is pretty close, too: Rutherford B. Hayes and Grover Cleveland were both quite conservative by modern standards.  Cleveland's union-busting and support in the South probably makes him the right-most of all post-Lincoln presidents.

I'll let the Libertarians have Thomas Jefferson.  And no, that's not a compliment.

James Monroe would probably run some sort of Unity '08/Americans Elect/John Anderson-esque moderate hero independent platform.  I think Cathcon is probably right about James Madison, though.  Hard to place these two.

With the possible exception of William Henry Harrison, who is impossible to place but more of a Northern Whig (ergo potential Dem in context), and Martin Van Buren on account of being a Free Soiler post-presidency, everyone from Andrew Jackson to James Buchanan was pretty much so retrograde that I'm not sure they even belong in the Republican Party.  Nativists, slaveowners and/or slaveowner-sympathizers all, in an era where that was the animating division in American politics, I could see most of them as possible Constitution Party members.  Eh, Zachary Taylor would probably be just a Repub as well: he was relatively moderate on the slavery question, and a war hero too.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

The idea here is to say what modern parties that any of the following former presidents might belong to if they were alive today. You don't have to assign a party for each one.

Redfor Republican
Blue for Democrat
Yellow for Libertarian
Green for Green
Cyan for Constitution
Purple for other (please explain)

John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
John Quincy Adams
Andrew Jackson