Attn: Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:52:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Attn: Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Attn: Democrats  (Read 2037 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »

Stop using the phrase, gun control. Instead, use gun safety laws. Not that complicated. That is all.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »

The proper advice: Stop talking about guns or risk incurring huge losses in 2014.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

It's always best to get real change that would help people done and risk losses, than to have power and never use it at all. We're not all Mr. Phips here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »

Gun safety laws sounds like something relating to the safe use of guns.  That's mostly not what's being proposed, and people will see through it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

Gun control sounds like someone from the government is going to put their hands on your gun and "control" it. That's not what's being proposed either.

I prefer gun regulations myself, although to be frank gun safety laws don't seem as far out as gun control.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

Attn: Americans

Stop focusing so much attention on words. They only mean what we say they mean. You're just playing into the political game of distraction. America loses when we play into the stupid games our politicians prefer to play as opposed to performing their basic functions.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

Gun safety laws sounds like something relating to the safe use of guns.  That's mostly not what's being proposed, and people will see through it.
You'd be surprised. People fell for the "death tax" and "job creators" easily enough, after all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »

Attn: Americans

Stop focusing so much attention on words. They only mean what we say they mean. You're just playing into the political game of distraction. America loses when we play into the stupid games our politicians prefer to play as opposed to performing their basic functions.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »

It doesn't matter what the word is, it's about policy. Playing word games doesn't change anything.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »

I like "reducing gun violence"
It doesn't matter what the word is, it's about policy. Playing word games doesn't change anything.
Perception is always key
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »

So the Dems would be lying when they push stuff like the AWB?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »

Gun safety laws sounds like something relating to the safe use of guns.  That's mostly not what's being proposed, and people will see through it.

Really? To me it sounds like a law that will make all Americans safer from guns.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »

Playing word games is what allows you to pass policy. We're not a nation of Vulcans. We're deeply accustomed to everything being marketed. So much so that most people can't tell a good deal from a bad deal. Just put the word smart in front of anything and people will buy it. The Republicans think they can sell anything to the public so long as they advertise it well. And the Democrats think they can sell anything as long as they produce policy that is beneficial to most people. And the Republicans almost always win.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »

Don't think the Democrats are having a problem selling it so there's no point in changing how you say it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »

Don't think the Democrats are having a problem selling it so there's no point in changing how you say it.
You think new gun laws will pass easily?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2013, 09:03:06 PM by DemPGH »

Gotcha. I actually prefer, solutions for reducing harm from high-velocity projectiles. Smiley

Seriously, you are right in implying that semantics play an important part in how the public not only receives, but processes a concept. The Right in recent years has really mastered this with "right to work" and "big government" and their various uses of the word "freedom" to actually mean less freedom or less mobility. But I'm not sure the really pro-gun segment of the public will change sides as a result of calling them "gun safety laws."

What needs to happen, IMO, is reasonable people need to keep harping on how absurd it is to have the "gun show loophole," limited background checks, and assault weapons on the market. The GOP who will not agree to ending or curbing any of the above needs to be made to look extreme.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »

We don't need to convince the pro-gun crowd. They already have the minds made up. We need to go after the forever undecided moderate hero 20% of the population. Gun safety laws will play a lot better to them than gun control, which sounds more authoritarian. You can hear their wheels turning: Who could be opposed to gun safety?
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:23:39 PM »

You think new gun laws will pass easily?

Nope...but they are selling it good to the American people as polls show. Even if you changed the name of the law you wouldn't change the mind of Republicans when it has Obama's endorsement.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2013, 12:07:41 AM by Politico »

We don't need to convince the pro-gun crowd. They already have the minds made up. We need to go after the forever undecided moderate hero 20% of the population. Gun safety laws will play a lot better to them than gun control, which sounds more authoritarian. You can hear their wheels turning: Who could be opposed to gun safety?

Those who realize that "gun safety" and "gun control" are one and the same (i.e., restrictions on gun rights)?

Moderate and conservative Democrats are going to be crushed in 2014 if the liberal wing of the Democratic Party gets their way on guns. Give it enough time, and this always happens one way or another, I guess.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »

Those who realize that "gun safety" and "gun control" are one and the same (i.e., restrictions on gun rights)?

Moderate and conservative Democrats are going to be crushed in 2014 if the liberal wing of the Democratic Party gets their way on guns. Give it enough time, and this always happens one way or another, I guess.
With an effective marketing campaign (something the Dems have not had since the 1960s), gun safety laws could be very popular. Indeed, it would be the Republicans who would face serious blowback for resisting, especially in those potentially dummymandered seats in PA and MI. There aren't that many "conservative Democrats" left anyway.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »

If you really want to get somewhere, lose the fear and ignorance that is so freaking pervasive on the gun control ...errrr, gun "safety" side of this issue.  Stop going after rifles (assault or otherwise) as they don't kill very many people.  Sure, go for the background checks, go for the gun show loop hole closing, learn about straw purchases as that's where a lot of the guns bad guys use come from and I almost never see it brough up by your side, start going after criminals who try to get guns the legal way but fail to...but going after scary looking guns is stupid.  Scary looking guns are almost never used in crime.  You do your side a disservice when you bitch about assault weapons (and you look like a moron when you say assault rifles should be banned).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

If you really want to get somewhere, lose the fear and ignorance that is so freaking pervasive on the gun control ...errrr, gun "safety" side of this issue.  Stop going after rifles (assault or otherwise) as they don't kill very many people.  Sure, go for the background checks, go for the gun show loop hole closing, learn about straw purchases as that's where a lot of the guns bad guys use come from and I almost never see it brough up by your side, start going after criminals who try to get guns the legal way but fail to...but going after scary looking guns is stupid.  Scary looking guns are almost never used in crime.  You do your side a disservice when you bitch about assault weapons (and you look like a moron when you say assault rifles should be banned).

Do you seriously think a clear line can be drawn between "good guys" and "bad guys"?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

Yes, quite easily.  It's already drawn for us.  A "bad guy" is someone who commits a violent crime, a "good guy" doesn't.  "bad guy"s, people that have or will use violence to commit a crime, get a lot of their guns through straw purchases (because they are "bad guys" and know they can't get them the normal way).  Going after those makes a million times more sense than going after "scary looking guns".

If that's the only problem you had with my post, perhaps I'm making some progress.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »

Just like Mitt Romney crushed Obama?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »

Yes, quite easily.  It's already drawn for us.  A "bad guy" is someone who commits a violent crime, a "good guy" doesn't.  "bad guy"s, people that have or will use violence to commit a crime, get a lot of their guns through straw purchases (because they are "bad guys" and know they can't get them the normal way).  Going after those makes a million times more sense than going after "scary looking guns".

If that's the only problem you had with my post, perhaps I'm making some progress.

What if someone is a "good guy", armes himself to the teeth because he can, and then becomes a "bad guy"?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies