Attn: Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:14:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Attn: Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Attn: Democrats  (Read 2038 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »

Well, at least here in the states, a person is innocent until proven otherwise.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »

Well, at least here in the states, a person is innocent until proven otherwise.

Sure, and he can't be subject to criminal penalty until he is convicted of a crime.

That's not the point. But every criminal was a "good guy" before he became a criminal. It makes sense to assume that some "good guys" who buy guns will become "bad guys" by using them to commit crimes at some point. And it makes sense to consider that when deciding the availability of guns to civilians.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »

Even if it's .000000001%?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »

Sorry, sorry, that's only a third of a person a year.  Lets make it .0000001%
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »

It's risk you have to calculate, I seriously doubt your estimate is correct.

Although I tend to value the right to life more than the right to gun ownership (which shouldn't even be a guaranteed right.) It disturbs me that so many gun nuts have the opposite priority.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »

If you really want to get somewhere, lose the fear and ignorance that is so freaking pervasive on the gun control ...errrr, gun "safety" side of this issue.  Stop going after rifles (assault or otherwise) as they don't kill very many people.  Sure, go for the background checks, go for the gun show loop hole closing, learn about straw purchases as that's where a lot of the guns bad guys use come from and I almost never see it brough up by your side, start going after criminals who try to get guns the legal way but fail to...but going after scary looking guns is stupid.  Scary looking guns are almost never used in crime.  You do your side a disservice when you bitch about assault weapons (and you look like a moron when you say assault rifles should be banned).
I tend to agree with your overall point. The public is more concerned about Sandy Hook than the many thousands of "regular" murders that happen every year. I think that is a gross problem. People take "ghetto crime" for granted and don't care much one way or another. Plenty more poors where those came from. The public is much more concerned by the infinitesimally small chance that they will fall victim to something like the Aurora movie shooting. I don't see addressing the two situations as mutually exclusive though. We should better regulate all guns.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies