Opinion of Ronald Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:02:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ronald Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Ronald Reagan
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Opinion of Ronald Reagan  (Read 4930 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »

He was the one who started the trend towards irresponsible fiscal policy. We can have all the tax cuts we want and all the goodies we want (in his case it was the department department and lasers or whatever), and it will be magically paid for. Lowering the top rate from 70% is one thing, trying to imply that won't lead to reduced revenue (especially when you drop it all the way down to 28%) is insane. I am glad you enjoyed the 80's, but my generation will be paying the price for it. No wonder Franzl feels more comfortable living in Germany.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »

Pretty massive HP.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »

Mega-FF, though I don't agree with some things he did.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

Freedom Fighter, dawg.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »

One of the best Presidents of modern times, and though his accomplishments are frequently grossly exaggerated, both by his supporters and detractors (really, for a lot of stuff he was just there at the right place at the right time), they nevertheless improved government policy dramatically and for that he shouldn't be forgotten.
Darth Maul
Rockefeller Republican
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Massive FF. The best.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »

One of the best Presidents of modern times, and though his accomplishments are frequently grossly exaggerated, both by his supporters and detractors (really, for a lot of stuff he was just there at the right place at the right time), they nevertheless improved government policy dramatically and for that he shouldn't be forgotten.

If by "improved government policy" you mean "made the government even more corrupt, non-responsive, and horrible in general" then yes, I agree he shouldn't be forgotten.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »

Happy birthday!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »

As corrupt as Richard Nixon (Iran-Contra, where he literally said "My heart tells me that I didn't trade arms for hostages, but the facts say otherwise"...) and worse than Nixon on an ideological level (union-busting, pandering to bigots-both racists and homophobes), not to mention, beginning the Republican Party on its current trajectory of magical thinking (TAX CUTS PAY FOR THEMSELVES111) and increased military spending, a laughably corrupt Administration (doesn't he hold the record still for most officials indicted during an Administration?)...

Oh, but he was a "Great Communicator" who "restored America's pride" and "ended the Cold War." And Ronnie was great with the quips-nevermind that most of them were scripted!

Anyway, enough about Ronald Reagan the real figure. Let's talk about St. Reagan, the Prophet of the Conservative Ascendancy (TM) who single-handedly drove teh godless libruls from the country's institutions. Tongue

Reagan was not corrupt.  I believe Clinton holds  the record for the most officials indicted during an Administration.  Oliver North was the main guy responsible for Iran-Contra.  It was never proven that Reagan was involved in that.
Personally, I vote Neutral.  Reagan was neither the godlike figure that conservatives make him out to be, nor the villain that liberals make him out to be. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »

Ronald Reagan is the sort of person you have as president in a parliamentary republic where the president doesn't have to actually do anything substantive. He won the Cold War on the public relations front - the speeches, the sitdowns with Gorbachev, and all - and he deserves credit for that.

But the guy was asleep at the wheel when it came to dealing with budget planning and tax policy.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

FF that represented HP causes.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »

HP. This sums up my thoughts on the matter:

He was the one who started the trend towards irresponsible fiscal policy. We can have all the tax cuts we want and all the goodies we want (in his case it was the department department and lasers or whatever), and it will be magically paid for. Lowering the top rate from 70% is one thing, trying to imply that won't lead to reduced revenue (especially when you drop it all the way down to 28%) is insane. I am glad you enjoyed the 80's, but my generation will be paying the price for it. No wonder Franzl feels more comfortable living in Germany.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »

Great president, the economy was great in the 80's and the way he handled the Soviet Union was a major reason the iron curtain was brought down, I mean doesn't being a big part of the freedom of millions of oppressed people the very epitome of a freedom fighter? FF
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »

Great president, the economy was great in the 80's and the way he handled the Soviet Union was a major reason the iron curtain was brought down, I mean doesn't being a big part of the freedom of millions of oppressed people the very epitome of a freedom fighter? FF

What exactly do you think Reagan did to "handle" the Soviet Union?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »

Well, the Star Wars Program and the fact that he stockpiled weapons in general, made the Soviets spend more on defense out of fear that they would soon be surpassed by the U.S. making their economy that was already in trouble, even more vulnerable. Also he stood up to the Soviets, "Mr.Gorbachev tear down this wall" is an obvious one. I mean the Soviet Union was already in trouble, but if we had a soft president in power than the USSR may have been able to recover, maybe not, but there is a chance that they would still be around today.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »

FF
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »

The country and the word would be a better place if he had never been president. 
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »

He gave tough speeches!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »

Well, the Star Wars Program and the fact that he stockpiled weapons in general, made the Soviets spend more on defense out of fear that they would soon be surpassed by the U.S. making their economy that was already in trouble, even more vulnerable. Also he stood up to the Soviets, "Mr.Gorbachev tear down this wall" is an obvious one. I mean the Soviet Union was already in trouble, but if we had a soft president in power than the USSR may have been able to recover, maybe not, but there is a chance that they would still be around today.

Although your first point might be right, in that it likely accelerated what would have happened  regardless, I don't get how demanding "tear down this wall" helped in any meaningful, non-symbolic way. The Soviet Union was so intimidated by those audacious words that they gave up?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »

Although your first point might be right, in that it likely accelerated what would have happened  regardless, I don't get how demanding "tear down this wall" helped in any meaningful, non-symbolic way. The Soviet Union was so intimidated by those audacious words that they gave up?
I don't mean that it made the Soviets give up, I think it helped to inspire the people of Eastern Europe, to when the right time came, declare their freedom. Obviously it wasn't just these words, but I think it was pretty symbolic to the people of East Germany that the most powerful man in the world at the time was right there on the other side of the wall, demanding their freedom.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »

He gave tough speeches!

That is an unfair characterization. Both his opponents and his enemies seem to only look at Reagan the bomb thrower in his first term and yet never seem to look at Reagan's stance with the Soviet Union during his second term. Reagan's second term embrace of Gorbachev gave him the external security he needed to move against the Politburo and implement his reforms. People don't seem to remember that a lot of the really hawkish aides were sidelined after Iran-Contra and George Schultz kind of ran the show from there.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »

I don't mean that it made the Soviets give up, I think it helped to inspire the people of Eastern Europe, to when the right time came, declare their freedom. Obviously it wasn't just these words, but I think it was pretty symbolic to the people of East Germany that the most powerful man in the world at the time was right there on the other side of the wall, demanding their freedom.

Actually, one of the primary motivations for the people of East Germany was Gorbachev rather than Reagan. I can't recall a single East German (and I'm one of them) ever praising Reagan for his speech. For the most part, Reagan's speech was held in high regard among West German conservatives.

A major catalyzer for the East German revolution were the calls for Glasnost/Perestroika-like reforms and the East government's refusal to implement such reforms though. For roughly 40 years, the East German leadership had closeley emulated everything the Soviet government had done, probably to an far greater extent than any other Eastern bloc regime. So when the East German government started to significantly deviate from the Soviet course of action for the first time ever (not to mention from a Soviet policy that was actually popular among the East German population for a change), the East German government quickly lost     legitimacy. This was further fertilized by the fact that Gorbachev wasn't shy to publicly voice his disapproval of the continued hardline stance of the East German government. When it was clear that the East German government had lost the support of the Soviets they were done for.

To make along story short... at the end of the day, Gorbachev's word carried more word among the East German population than Reagan's.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies