Opinion of this meme/picture
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:06:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of this meme/picture
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this meme/picture  (Read 1584 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »

I saw this pic on a liberal website and I found it very condescending.

Just because Louisiana is a right to work state doesn't mean that our workers are of any lesser quality than those in unionized states.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »

I enjoy reminders the Democrats also have a crazy fringe, so FP.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »

no
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

I saw this pic on a liberal website and I found it very condescending.

Just because Louisiana is a right to work state doesn't mean that our workers are of any lesser quality than those in unionized states.
People tend to chase higher wages, and smart people tend to command higher wages.  Right to scab lowers wages and working standards.  So the best electricians are probably gonna end up in states where wages are better.  And yes, the union workers would say their work is of a higher quality... because they not only have their boss to answer to, but their brothers in the union hall as well.

But yeah... to somehow infer that the blackout was caused by right to work laws is a pretty massive stretch.  Have they forgotten about the time way back in 2010 when the Metrodome's roof collapsed?  Or that one bridge for that matter?  Minnesota isn't a right to scab state.  Those were union workers that fudged that up (and rebuilt it too).

Still, a part of me is angry that states like Louisiana are living a low tax, low service lifestyle being subsidized by states like Minnesota... if only because voters in Louisiana elect corrupted idiots and turn around and call us the evil tyrannical liberals or the Chinese the evil tyrannical commies (both of which pretty much rescue you financially every time you have a natural disaster or need some roads upgraded).

When Duluth, MN flooded this past summer due to torrential rains that caused massive damage... the feds told us to f**k off and pay for it ourselves.  The GOP tried to do the same thing to NY/NJ with Sandy... the very people from your region that suffered so badly after Katrina.

If that's the thanks we get.. f**king idiotic politicians who are gonna screw us out of spite when we're there with our hearts, minds, and wallets open to you when a natural disaster occurs... then maybe next time we will learn to get along without you.. and your cities can fester into a swampy no man's land.  Clearly we can get along better without you than you can without us.  Remember that next time you wanna elect some retarded blowhard who got a triple digit score on his SAT BUT HE DON'T NEED TA READ GOOD TA RUN REAL MURICA.

I'll stop, cuz the more I think about this, the more annoyed and angry I become.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »

The logical fallacy behind that is faulty cause. I abhor "right to work," which is "right to a low wage," really, but the power outage in the dome was a result of old infrastructure and decaying power / utility lines. Upgrades probably overloaded the place.

It used to be that the lighting at these things was a big cluster or circle of lights overhead, and that was it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »

Yeah, the problem is the logical fallacy that somehow the blackout was caused by inferior workers. But the contention that right to work states generally lead to inferior workers is just basic, common-sense economics.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »

Yeah, the problem is the logical fallacy that somehow the blackout was caused by inferior workers. But the contention that right to work states generally lead to inferior workers is just basic, common-sense economics.
This.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »

Lean HP, as it implies that collective bargaining states don't have any issues regarding faulty construction.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »

Agree, and I meant to add something closer to that. Right to work is about getting cheap, perhaps in certain cases unspecialized workers who just show up to do the job. And that's what the pic in question is criticizing. Whoever made the pic was right to criticize that.

Anyway, I was just reading that the NFL had been warned that the SuperDome might experience electrical problems, and it's no wonder. It's probably maxed out on upgrades, and one of those new scoreboards or super screens they have now would probably just short out a whole building using even '80s era infrastructure. Hopefully, they'll get it fixed because New Orleans is absolutely top 5 in the USA to have a Super Bowl. Just bring the Dome up to par now.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

I enjoy reminders the Democrats also have a crazy fringe, so FP.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »

Memes aren't meant to be taken entirely serious, this one isn't even really worth mentioning.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies