Canadian by-elections, 2013 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:18:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 71098 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »

But agreed, if the NDP are to win Toronto Centre, they need a very high profile candidate, especially since the riding at this moment still has Rosedale in the boundaries... that will change after redistribution though by the looks of things, meaning even if the NDP don't win this by-election, they have a much better shot at the "new boundary" Toronto Centre come 2015

Running on the current boundaries, and losing (but putting in a good effort), could be useful in being the front runner for NDP preselection for the next GE.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

Tommy, that finding is indeed interesting. When I was younger, it was commonly assumed that Australians differentiated between state and federal issues and governments, but I think that has become less and less the case. I couldn't even suggest when this started, 2001 state elections in Queensland and WA possibly? Our past decade could be a precursor to the psephological direction of yours? You have a strong third party with an ideological, rather than regional, base, plus your FPTP system is obviously different, so these may change things slightly. It possibly made things harder for One Nation to get off the ground, but we need to watch the next election (specifically Katter and Palmer) to see if an adoption of branding by voters makes it harder for new parties to establish themselves. This could have an impact on a future Reform or BQ, although perhaps a regional base is different enough to make things easier to start up and win seats?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »

Read something on Facebook this morning, about the Liberal candidate and Wynne campaigning in Ottawa Centre yesterday, instead of Ottawa South?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »

Apparently a farmer's market or something. I suspect it was probably a large market, close to the boundary, where a fair number of Ottawa South constituents may visit and it was seen as beneficial to campaign there, I don't know. If that's the case, it may just be spin.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »

Final Forum polls out.

Windsor-Tecumseh: 52 NDP, 26 PC, 12 OLP

Ottawa South: 52 PC, 36 OLP, 9 NDP.

London West: 38 PC, 36 NDP, 15 OLP

Are there many young people in London West, which could potentially create a turnout difference in the NDP vote?

Windsor is shaping up to be a pretty hefty swing against the defending party!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

NDP doing well in Scarborough, and that wasn't even his home riding, was it? Perhaps they should run him federally in To-C when the by-election comes up? Or as a replacement for in To-S if she runs for the Mayoralty?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »

Quite right. I was typing fast to keep up with the thread and didn't think long enough about it.

NDP doing well in Scarborough, and that wasn't even his home riding, was it? Perhaps they should run him federally in To-C when the by-election comes up? Or as a replacement for in To-S if she runs for the Mayoralty?

Not To-S, but Trinity-Spadina, Smid.

And I thought than To-C already had a candidate.

Actually Giambrone's seat was Davenport. DOESNT ANYONE READ MY BLOG Wink

But those seats are taken, and it's still relatively close to the downtown. It's more that this sort of obvious personal vote may make TO-C winnable for the NDP.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »

CBC says advance votes have yet to be counted in Ottawa, but doubt that makes a difference...

Depends on if it was a bad poll, or if there was a last-minute swing, or if it was because of the Liberal GOTV... bad poll, no difference, but if the advance votes were cast before a last-minute swing, or if they weren't subject to the Grit GOTV machine, well, then they may. Of course, probably still won't be enough to close the gap.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »

I actually took more comfort from your analysis than the polls this morning. Tongue

Earl always does a sensational analysis. Hopefully he'll get picked up by a media outlet and get paid for it or something.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »

I think the fools gold was in reference to Toronto Centre, where the Liberal margin vs the NDP will be cut once the redistribution takes effect.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »

It was trending your way, though the margin was definitely surprising.

Last minute strategic voting by Grits to stop the Tories?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

Following the Toronto NDP model, it would seem.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »

Linda McQuaig wins.

Highlight from Twitter was David Aikin claiming that Jennifer Hollett was the establishment choice, and everyone saying "wtf"?

Too bad Hollett lost, but McQuaig is a great candidate too.

The names don't mean much to me, brief bios?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »

(And don't be surprised if the Libs land in third once again.)

This is my opinion. I would expect it to be lost by them, but wouldn't want to try to guess who gains the seat.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

Another vacancy I totally missed: Morris, MB. Apparently the seat has been open since February with no by-election called yet.

Sounds like you're not the only one who totally missed it... has anyone nudged the Speaker recently?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »

Another vacancy I totally missed: Morris, MB. Apparently the seat has been open since February with no by-election called yet.

Sounds like you're not the only one who totally missed it... has anyone nudged the Speaker recently?

In Canada, by-elections are called by the PM.

In this case, Premier, but still - surely there is a Constitutional requirement of a maximum length of time a seat can remain empty?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 12:35:22 AM »

As always, great work, Krago!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »

Wouldn't it be marvelous if the Liberals win in Brandon, and the NDP in Toronto Centre?

If Liberals win in Brandon, having placed third or fourth last election, I suspect the NDP will lose the ownership of "Change" that they currently enjoy in polling, regardless of the result in TC.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »

So... if there were 443 respondants, but 12 of them were Anna Ross and her son... that would be 433... I think the number Forum needs to actually report is how many unique respondants and calculate their margin of error based on that...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

Early results in TC will, I suspect, have a pro-NDP bias, given that any randomly selected poll (such as the first to report) is probably going to be more likely to vote NDP, given the geographic concentration of Liberal votes in fewer polls.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »

I think the Liberals have regained their position as the predominant non-Conservative party.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »

Brandon - Souris is all in now:

Conservative      12,205    (44.1%)
Liberal                11,814    (42.7%)
NDP                      2,037    (7.4%)
Greens                 1,354    (4.9%)
Libertarian              271    (1.0%)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »

Great work, Krago!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies