SC-6: Speculation over Clyburn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:01:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-6: Speculation over Clyburn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC-6: Speculation over Clyburn  (Read 924 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »

This is more of a slow news day type story than anything else, but apparently the Congressional Black Caucus has suggested that Clyburn should be considered for Secretary of Transportation, and Clyburn hasn't said no to the idea.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/02/07/2621766/clyburn-advanced-for-us-transportation.html

It's not a totally ludicrous idea, as Clyburn has made transportation (i.e., pork) one of his legislative priorities, but I really doubt that Obama would do it.  Still, Clyburn is 72, so I could see him accepting if offered.  The seat is safely Democratic because it is a minority majority district, so by leaving now he would be able to help determine who follows him in the seat.
Benj

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »

Terrible choice for Transportation Secretary Sad
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »

How so?  Clyburn certainly isn't what I would consider to be the best choice for the job, but he's hardly the worst.  After all, at the Secretary level his main function would be to deal with Congress, not actually plan the nation's infrastructure.
Benj

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »

How so?  Clyburn certainly isn't what I would consider to be the best choice for the job, but he's hardly the worst.  After all, at the Secretary level his main function would be to deal with Congress, not actually plan the nation's infrastructure.

For one, he has no particular experience on transit issues (and isn't even on the relevant committee). He's also never pushed strong transit policy and IIRC has resisted public transit projects. Ray LaHood wouldn't have been my first choice, but he had relevant experience and was generally effective on transit.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »

Christine Gregoire, Ted Strickland, or Steve LaTourette would all be much better choices. Clyburn is just diversity for the sake of diversity.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32:47 AM »

I would like to see someone who will bring innovative ideas and push for high speed rail in this position.  I've never been given the impression Clyburn is capable or willing to do that.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »

It's probably not a bad decision for him. Even if we can get the House back soon, he won't ever get higher than Majority Whip. This would likely cement the #3 position for House Democrats under Pelosi and Hoyer (that individual likely being an eventual Democratic Speaker).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 05:19:56 AM »

To be fair, high speed rail is a non-issue for Clyburn's district.  None of the proposed HSR corridors that have even a southern snowball's chance of being built in the next thirty years goes thru or even near his district.

While there is a proposal for a HSR replacement for Amtrak's Silver Service trains, I just don't see it happening any time soon. The population density along the Raleigh - Jacksonville corridor just is not high enough to make it a viable route for local high speed service. The current service along the corridor is mainly about service the Northeast to Florida route with overnight trains. Raleigh - Jacksonville will not be getting HSR until and unless Boston-Raleigh and Florida have HSR.

Raleigh is important because that is where the routes coming from the north diverge. One route heads south to Florida, bifurcating itself to serve both Columbia and Charleston. (The more direct Charleston route that would likely be the one to eventually get HSR actually splits off at Selma, some 30 miles east of Raleigh, but I doubt any of you had heard of that diamond in the rough ere now, and it is in the Raleigh metro area.) The other heads west to serve the Crescent route connecting the northeast to Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham and New Orleans. Raleigh - Atlanta will get HSR well before Raleigh - Jacksonville. Indeed, it would likely get HSR before Washington-Raleigh does.

Technically, the Crescent route currently only covers Greensboro to Atlanta, using a separate routing that does not go thru Raleigh or Richmond to connect Washington to Greensboro. but the traffic volume there is such that it is not an HSR priority, so I expect that at least at first, an HSR version of the Crescent would go through Raleigh.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »

I would like to see someone who will bring innovative ideas and push for high speed rail in this position.  I've never been given the impression Clyburn is capable or willing to do that.

I like the fact that he's from a rural area but because of his experience in the House and with the Af-Am caucus is going to be alert to the needs of urban areas.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 03:55:10 PM »

Isn't he a DLCer?

We need PROGRESSIVES, not more DLCers.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:00:51 PM »

Isn't he a DLCer?

We need PROGRESSIVES, not more DLCers.

The DLC went the way of the Occupiers before Occupy even existed.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »

I had heard at one point that Antonio Villariagosa of LA was being considered?  He would be a much better choice.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:07 AM »

I had heard at one point that Antonio Villariagosa of LA was being considered?  He would be a much better choice.

Villarigosa was mentioned, but he has stated he has zero interest in the job.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies