When was the last time the median House district had a Dem PVI?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:07:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When was the last time the median House district had a Dem PVI?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When was the last time the median House district had a Dem PVI?  (Read 534 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:01 AM »

Maybe 1984?  I thought maybe 1988, but ended up figuring that there were something like 238 House districts that were more Republican than the national average.  This is probably a function of the fact that Dukakis underperformed horribly(which would be a trend from this point on) in a lot of traditionally Democratic Southern seats where he was getting less than 40%(sometimes less than 30%) of the vote despite comfortably electing Democrats. 

Anybody have any ideas?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »

Long before the concept of PVI, in the American context, became sufficiently nonridiculous to actually be inventable.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »

The Dems have historically been associated with districts that have high concentrations of their voters. Before cities it was the South. Because of the way the PVI is calculated as a difference from the two-party presidential vote, the less concentrated party (GOP) will tend to be at the median.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »

Yes, if the nation overall is 54-46 Dem, a district that leans Dem 52-48 would have a Pub 2% PVI. The nation had a Dem lean generally, when the Dem's had their Tory wing in the South.  At the moment the partisan strength of the two parties is pretty evenly balanced, so PVI and partisan lean have become close to synonymous at the moment. It has not been always thus.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »

Maybe 1984?  I thought maybe 1988, but ended up figuring that there were something like 238 House districts that were more Republican than the national average.  This is probably a function of the fact that Dukakis underperformed horribly(which would be a trend from this point on) in a lot of traditionally Democratic Southern seats where he was getting less than 40%(sometimes less than 30%) of the vote despite comfortably electing Democrats. 

Anybody have any ideas?

I agree that it is probably a while. Mr. P, do you know how many CDs were more Republican than the national average in any other years?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »

here are some elections where the median house district may have had a dem PVI:
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »

Anybody have any ideas?

I agree that it is probably a while. Mr. P, do you know how many CDs were more Republican than the national average in any other years?

I know it was around 227 after 1992 and 1996.  Probably a little higher in 2000.  In 2004, it was something like 234. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies