Gingrich to Republicans: Don't sound like Romney on immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:50:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gingrich to Republicans: Don't sound like Romney on immigration
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gingrich to Republicans: Don't sound like Romney on immigration  (Read 762 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/282083-gingrich-to-gop-dont-sound-like-romney-on-immigration

I Purple heart Newt.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »

This is coming from the same guy who said that Spanish was "the language of the ghetto".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

This is coming from the same guy who said that Spanish was "the language of the ghetto".

Pretty crass way of saying something that is actually true. If you don't know english, you won't get far in America, besides South Florida perhaps. It won't get you far even in California.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »

Did anybody read Ezra Klein's column about the stages of Republican grief? It was astute, especially his dissection of bargaining, the stage that Mr Gingrich is embodying right now
CountryClassSF

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:19:36 PM »

Gingrich is right on the money.

I don't support an amnesty program that includes citizenship (i.e. rewarding people for coming here illegally), I do think it'll be disastrous for the country. But if Republicans can't make their point without idiotic word webs like "self-deportation" that make us sound insensitive.

It's ironic that the *one* issue Romney was hard-nosed on compared to his competitors is one that could have hurt him a great deal in the general
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »

Gingrich is right on the money.

I don't support an amnesty program that includes citizenship (i.e. rewarding people for coming here illegally), I do think it'll be disastrous for the country. But if Republicans can't make their point without idiotic word webs like "self-deportation" that make us sound insensitive.

It's ironic that the *one* issue Romney was hard-nosed on compared to his competitors is one that could have hurt him a great deal in the general

So you're one of those who think the GOP's only problem is with "messaging"? Roll Eyes
CountryClassSF

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »

So you're one of those who think the GOP's only problem is with "messaging"? Roll Eyes

It's certainly a  problem, that doesn't mean it's the only problem.

What's so hard about saying "How dare you play the race card against me, legal vs illegal isn't about skin tone, it's about a nation of laws" -- vs. "Self-deportation." Messaging is an issue.

Hopefully in 2016 Republicans will have an authentic tea party patriot conservative
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »

It's certainly a  problem, that doesn't mean it's the only problem.

What's so hard about saying "How dare you play the race card against me, legal vs illegal isn't about skin tone, it's about a nation of laws" -- vs. "Self-deportation." Messaging is an issue.

Hopefully in 2016 Republicans will have an authentic tea party patriot conservative

I'm sure Democrats hope so as well.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »

It's certainly a  problem, that doesn't mean it's the only problem.

Yeah, I hope Republicans run someone implying those who are naturalized immigrants or descendents of them aren't "patriotic". Even with a sh**tty economy, the Democrats could win another 4 years of the presidency.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2013, 10:12:02 PM by Invader »

He's correct - self deportation isn't the best idea.  Though that's pretty obvious.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »

Newt really isn't a stupid man in the least. If the House kills any comprehensive immigration proposal, it will have sealed the Republican Party's fate among Hispanics for very long time. Rubio alone cannot save the party, nor do I think he can really even make a significant difference. The hardliners on immigration in the Republican Party need to be thoroughly destroyed and defeated if there is any chance with the Hispanic vote. I think their absolute best case in the near future is getting somewhere between McCain and Bush levels. Romney will sound good compared to what the hardline base really thinks. If they get their way and defeat a reasonable bill, their share of the Hispanic vote will easily drop below Romney's numbers in 2016.

Immigration reform alone will not save the Republican Party with Hispanics, but killing it will be devastating.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies