Vatican City 2013 papal election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:30:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Vatican City 2013 papal election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Author Topic: Vatican City 2013 papal election  (Read 53824 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2013, 07:53:20 AM »

Still 'feeling' Sandri. No idea why.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »

Did someone really say Dolan has "zero" chance? Haha. Someone hasn't been following this that closely...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2013, 06:37:42 PM »

Did someone really say Dolan has "zero" chance? Haha. Someone hasn't been following this that closely...

Yes, he has zero chance.  If he wasn't a US cardinal, he'd have a chance, but being from the US kills any and all chance he has.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »

Yes, he has zero chance.  If he wasn't a US cardinal, he'd have a chance, but being from the US kills any and all chance he has.

Being american is not Dolan's biggest problem. In my opinion, his chances are small because he's been a cardinal for only a year, and because his Italian is not very good. Plus, it's unlikely his colleagues are readdy for such a huge personality as Pope. If Benedict XVI hadn't resigned, I think he'd be the favorite around 2018.

I'll be rooting for him, though.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:41 AM »

1 day before the conclave, rumours say the campaign of Ravasi has faded, due to his lack of pastoral experience. According to the same rumours, the names of Dolan, Tagle and Erdo have failed to gain traction, and probably won't be considered early on the conclave. Thus, the 3 names now expected to come up strong on the first ballot, tomorrow afternoon, are Scola, Ouellet and Scherer.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »

Still hoping for Ouellet Koch, just out of a sense of patriotism. He could be a reasonable compromise between the Europeans and the out-of-towners.

If you want an untainted and uncontroversial Pope, he's the right man for the job. Wink
Benj

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »

Newsflash: The way the American media covers these things is not the reality of the situation.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »

GAH lost a massive post. Will try and repeat it now.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »

It'dll be a massive surprise if the new Pope is from the US, it'll be a huge shock if it's Dolan.

It seems like the next Pope needs to tick five boxes:

1. Conservative, but not reactionary. They ought to be able to see the grey, but advocate the white and confront the black, so to speak. Someone with deep beliefs in line with the conservative wing of the church, but not unthinkingly. Ideally, not taintyed by scandal based on not communicating these views well, but certainly someone who has conservative views and is prepared to express them, and does so in a way that is both clear and not offensively harsh.

2. (Relatively) young and healthy. Anyone over 72 is a non-starter. Preferably someone without significant helath issues in their past, and certainly none currently unwell.

3. A fluent Italian speaker, with strong competence in English and Spanish, and ideally German too. Can probably survive without great English or Spanish if they're functional, but the Italian is essential.

4. Both pastoral and administrative experience. They don't need to be a great showman at all, but they do need to have the experience of talking to the pews, and the ideally the lives of the general clergy. The administrative strength is ideally linked with the curia, but strong governance of a large Archbishopric is probably sufficient. One or the other isn't likely to cut it unless the other factors are all met, and met well. There's no real need for a deep theologian, as long as they understand the theologians around them.l

5. Either a European (read: Italian) with significant global networks or, more likely, from outside Europe but with very (very) strong Vatican connections. Not likely to be a non-Italian if they're prepared to not go out on a limb and pick a  European, and the best non-Euro candidates need to have links with the Euro bloc.

(The original write-up was better, but the points are basically the same. I can't see anyone who fits each category perfectly, but unless politics plays a major part in terms of the lesser roles, the cardinal who meets these criteria most closely would be the most likely winner).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »

The Papabili Wikipedia page lists Philadelphia's former Cardinal (Justin Rigali) as a potential winner, citing an article by CBS New York. Laughable.

I'm glad Naples' Cardinal Sepe is getting some mention. He's a dark horse. If we can't have an American, I'm rooting for him to be the upset winner. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

1 day before the conclave, rumours say the campaign of Ravasi has faded, due to his lack of pastoral experience. According to the same rumours, the names of Dolan, Tagle and Erdo have failed to gain traction, and probably won't be considered early on the conclave. Thus, the 3 names now expected to come up strong on the first ballot, tomorrow afternoon, are Scola, Ouellet and Scherer.

Meh, that's pretty disappointing... Sad

I guess I'll be rooting for Scherer by default, because Ouellet is a nutcase and I don't want another Italian Pope.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »

I heard Ouellet got rave reviews for his mass the other day. If the top three really are Ouellet, Scherer, and Scola... Mr. Ouellet looks pretty good. Wink

Also, what are people's thoughts on the new pope's name? I'm liking the ring of Leo or Innocent.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »

According to the Vatican Insider, Scola will get 35-40 votes tomorrow, Scherer should get some 25, Ouellet lurking behind. Americans should rally around Dolan and hope he gains traction, O'Malley is the plan B. Bertone may go with a handpicked guy early on, just to show he still has his block under control (La Stampa mention he'll send a sacrificial lamb, Cardinal Coccopalmerio).

I don't wanna get too excited, but Scherer is looking good. He's already the candidate of Sodano and Re, amd Bertone would gladly vote for him to stop Scola. If Scola can't keep the moment from the 1st ballot, he could immeadiately gain traction, and by the 5th ballot or so we could have a yes-or-no on Scherer.

The question on Scherer is whether the "backbenchers" will like him enough. He fits the Curia perfeclty, and that may bother some Cardinals from Africa, Latin America, and the US. He celebrated a very anticipated mass Sunday, I think he handled that well.

If he fails to get this, then Ouellet will be the frontrunner #3. He'd be a strong bet to consolidate 2/3 of the vote.

Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »

I heard Ouellet got rave reviews for his mass the other day. If the top three really are Ouellet, Scherer, and Scola... Mr. Ouellet looks pretty good. Wink

Also, what are people's thoughts on the new pope's name? I'm liking the ring of Leo or Innocent.

I like the chances of Paul VII or Pius XIII. It would be cool if the new Pope went for something bold, though, as James, maybe bring back a name like Boniface.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2013, 07:11:49 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Ouellett is going to be my final bet, though I still hold hope that Tagle or Turkson could make history tommorow.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »

I'm rooting for Cañizares, only because he's the least bad we have here in Spain Tongue Then, Tagle. But I'm an atheist. I despise them all.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »

Turkson, Ouellet, Schoborn, or the main contender from Brazil.

The Italians (though I'd be open to Scola getting it) need to sit out a few generations.

and absolutely NO BERTONE
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2013, 07:13:06 PM by Californian Tony »

Can't believe I agree with JCL on something. Tongue Bertone always struck me as a sleazebag.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »

What about Bill O'Reilly? Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »

Endorsed! He'd be a great comic relief.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »

Can't believe I agree with JCL on something. Tongue Bertone always struck me as a sleazebag.

My reasons against Bertone are this.

1. The Italians need to step aside for a good while (like a century or five if it lasts that long)
2. After reading about a few of the non-European papabili, I'm quite impressed
3. The Austrian has some excellent ideas regarding reform (the priests shoud be able to marry)
4. I'm in favor of a younger Individual and the best contenders amongst the younger ones is also our best shot at an African (Turkson)
5. A pope from the Americas would be interesting (the Brazilian and Ouella)
6. If someone from the US were pontiff (Dolan, O'Malley) it would prove a global game changer

Ultimately Turkson is my personal pick.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »

The Pro Eligendo Pontifice mass will be celebrated tomorrow at 9 AM GMT. The procession to the Sistine Chapel will happen at 3:30 PM GMT.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »

Although I'm Brazilian, I'm against Scherer because a Brazilian pope can strengthen Catholic Church in Brazilian politics. If I were voting, I'd go for Schönborn or Erdo. O'Malley would be a good choice too.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2013, 11:06:43 PM »

I really think its need to be someone whose a reformer, so I would be fine with Scola even though I'd prefer someone outside of Europe.

Though I'm getting the feeling that in the end, it wont be him, Scherer, or Ouellet.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »

6. If someone from the US were pontiff (Dolan, O'Malley) it would prove a global game changer

This is exactly why I'm against any American pope who's not O'Malley.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies