PMing people who would otherwise not vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:54:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PMing people who would otherwise not vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: PMing people who would otherwise not vote  (Read 2746 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2005, 05:33:02 PM »

I am sick of people bringing in their friends who have no idea what's going on in the fantasy forum to vote for them.  These people tend to either be strict avatar voters, or friends from off forum who are just tomatosouping.

If elected I will call upon the Senate to pass activity legisition that specifies an activity requirement that is tied to the Fantasy Forum.

I will make a pledge to you here and now that I have never and will never PM anyone for the purposes of asking them to vote, for myself or otherwise.  I ask all candidates to join with me, and their supporters to do the same.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 05:33:45 PM »

Needless to say, this has my full support.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 05:34:36 PM »

I also support this in full.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 05:34:53 PM »

I vow from here on out that I will no longer PM forum members for their votes who are not active.

Siege
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 05:34:58 PM »

Two things I want my senators to do:

1) Pass Troll Legislation

2) Pass Very Strict Voting Requirements including non-partisan ballots and some other things.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:35:08 PM »

I oppose this in full.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »

This is ridiculous.
I won't rehash the arguments again.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 05:41:34 PM »

I vow from here on out that I will no longer PM forum members for their votes who are not active.

Siege

As do I.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 05:41:50 PM »

This is ridiculous.
I won't rehash the arguments again.

And you want to be President?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 05:42:26 PM »

Read all the earlier threads on the subject.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »

I state that today, if I am elected to the office of Senator I will make sure that the first thing that I do is introduce strict and effective troll and activity legislation. I believe that legislation like this is needed for Atlasia to continue to work and be a civil nation.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 05:46:29 PM »

This shouldn't be law, but just something that is widely supported, if that makes sense. Besides enforcement and punishment would be extremely difficult.

Siege
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 05:49:09 PM »

This shouldn't be law, but just something that is widely supported, if that makes sense. Besides enforcement and punishment would be extremely difficult.

Siege

I don't see whats hard to enforce if we have a rule saying you have to have a certain number of posts on the Fantasy boards in order to vote.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 05:50:08 PM »

Siege

I don't see whats hard to enforce if we have a rule saying you have to have a certain number of posts on the Fantasy boards in order to vote.

Why? Can you can never post a message and still have an opinion on all the Senate legislation.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 05:52:26 PM »

Siege

I was talking about Anti-PMing legislation. Vote standards are easy.

Siege
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 05:55:58 PM »

We need activeness standards at some point, but as a general rule this is good.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 06:21:13 PM »

I have thought of this in the past.  My idea is to require candidates and political groups to make public all their GOTV contacts and then have certain caps on who/how many can be contacted.  It may be too harsh, though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 06:22:54 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2005, 06:24:46 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

If elected I will call upon the Senate to pass activity legisition that specifies an activity requirement that is tied to the Fantasy Forum.

Actually, we now have such a thing.  The Statute of Election Procedures, Certification, and Challenges that was the second part of my two-part electoral reform legislation contains the following text as Section 5:

An "active voter", as the term appears in Article V, Clause 4 of the Constitution, is hereby defined to be one who has posted at least twenty-five times since the last federal election in which he or she voted, or one who has not been given the chance yet to vote in any federal election.

We amended the Constitution to say that the burden of proof for inactivity is on the Secretary of Forum Affairs, however, so StevenNick would have to be able to show that the person has not posted 25 times.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »

Actually, we now have such a thing.  The Statute of Election Procedures, Certification, and Challenges that was the second part of my two-part electoral reform legislation contains the following text as Section 5:

An "active voter", as the term appears in Article V, Clause 4 of the Constitution, is hereby defined to be one who has posted at least twenty-five times since the last federal election in which he or she voted, or one who has not been given the chance yet to vote in any federal election.

We amended the Constitution to say that the burden of proof for inactivity is on the Secretary of Forum Affairs, however, so StevenNick would have to be able to show that the person has not posted 25 times.

Do you have a link to this part of the law, Gabu, just out of curiosity?  I don't remember that being part of the books now.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2005, 06:35:38 PM »

Actually, we now have such a thing.  The Statute of Election Procedures, Certification, and Challenges that was the second part of my two-part electoral reform legislation contains the following text as Section 5:

Do you have a link to this part of the law, Gabu, just out of curiosity?  I don't remember that being part of the books now.

Yes, the text of the legislation that the Senate voted on can be found here.  It wasn't part of the recent amendment that was passed, so that may be why you don't remember it.  It was part of the accompanying statute.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 06:39:27 PM »

Oh, ok, Gabu, thanks.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 09:46:23 PM »

You realise that this will put a significant workload on your SoFA and any future SoFAs I hope.

I am in favour of an activity requirement, but not one speicfically tied to the Fantasy boards as it is too much for one man to administrate
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 09:47:04 PM »

You realise that this will put a significant workload on your SoFA and any future SoFAs I hope.

I am in favour of an activity requirement, but not one speicfically tied to the Fantasy boards as it is too much for one man to administrate

Actually, the search function allows you to look for posts by board.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 09:47:47 PM »

But then I'd have to post more messages in this forum, and who the hell wants that?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 11:15:30 PM »

Think about how this would translate to real life; would you support a law saying that a person had to show a certain level of interest in the Presidential or Congressional Elections in order to be able to vote? For example, a mandatory test, in which you must correctly identify the candidates' postitions on certain issues, which must be filled out properly in order to receive your ballot (that's about the best analogy I can think of of how such a thing could even be done in real life...)?

25 posts between elections on the entire board is fine, but the Fantasy Elections should be for everyone on the entire Forum. As long as you read the main Forum, you almost certainly know the candidates running for office; you know who they are, and what they stand for.

In fact, the original intent and purpose of them was exactly that; to be for people who post on the regular Forum; it was, in fact, frowned upon that people would only post and read the Fantasy Elections stuff without contributing at all to the main Forum.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies