Kerry camp challenges Bush to six debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:17:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry camp challenges Bush to six debates  (Read 3108 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2004, 05:38:56 AM »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- -- Saying it's time to "raise the level of dialogue," Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign called on President Bush's re-election campaign Thursday to agree to six debates in key battleground states.

"Democrats in Pennsylvania, Arizona, Washington, Ohio, Missouri and Florida plan to hold press conferences over the next several days to highlight the importance of a substantive discussion on issues affecting all Americans -- national security, homeland security and veterans' issues; education; environment and energy policies; the economy; health care; and equal opportunity for all," said campaign chair Jeanne Shaheen in a written statement.

Last month, Kerry called for issue-oriented debates, but the Bush campaign "has not responded," the Kerry campaign statement said.

Bush campaign spokesman Taylor Griffin told CNN Thursday, "The Bush-Cheney campaign looks for a vigorous debate at the appropriate time. But John Kerry should finish the debate with himself first -- being on both sides of each issue."

Kerry has repeatedly rejected charges of changing his mind on issues.

Griffin added, "It's interesting to note that John Kerry refused to debate John Edwards one-on-one during the Democratic primaries and now he's the big proponent of debates."

When Edwards challenged Kerry to one-on-one debates, there were other Democratic contenders for the presidential nomination -- though none likely to win. Kerry agreed to take part in debates but said the other contenders should be welcome as well.

Edwards is now a strong backer of Kerry's campaign. Recent polls showed a slew of anti-Kerry attacks and ads by the Bush-Cheney campaign had succeeded at knocking down Kerry's popularity, and the senator from Massachusetts is trailing Bush.

Both Kerry and Bush have released negative ads slamming each other while at the same time saying they want to focus on the issues.

Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 06:31:37 AM »

Bad move for Kerry. If he want's to win, he shouldn't debate Bush this early on, because that's where Bush shines through. He is much more likeable when he's unscripted, especially when there's something at stake. I will point to his second debate with Al Gore. If Kerry can't get his campaign going, the last thing he needs is to lose these debates. He first needs to gain momentum and establish himself.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 06:49:03 AM »

Bad move for Kerry. If he want's to win, he shouldn't debate Bush this early on, because that's where Bush shines through. He is much more likeable when he's unscripted, especially when there's something at stake. I will point to his second debate with Al Gore. If Kerry can't get his campaign going, the last thing he needs is to lose these debates. He first needs to gain momentum and establish himself.

Kerry is a good debater and shouldn't be underestimated.
Just ask Bill Weld...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 07:14:54 AM »

Kerry is a good debater and shouldn't be underestimated.
Just ask Bill Weld...

Exactly!  Kerry was seen as dull and patrician and Weld was seen as folksy and likable… but in the end Kerry was able through the debates to beat Weld by 7 points!  Kerry is a good debater so long as he is fighting and knows that his situation is serious (like in 1996) … thing is Kerry can get complacent… we need a poll with Bush with a lead of say six or seven even that would make him work a little harder… where’s the “Come Back Kerry” when you need him…. He’s having an operation he should be giving interviews,  making speeches, making the press take notice and with Clark and Condie taking up a lot of the oxygen he should use ads as Bush is doing and surrogates to, again as Bush is doing….      
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 07:41:10 AM »

This is going nowhere and Kerry and company know it.  There is no clamor among the public for debates 8 stinking months out.  Campaign posturing that means nothing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 07:58:21 AM »

I am not sure whether Kerry would benefit from debates. He needs to amke this campaign to be on issues not on candidates.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 03:44:44 PM »

Kerry's probably hoping that Bush rejects it.

I want them to debate alot, the debates are fun!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 03:47:09 PM »

Its win-win for Kerry. Bush will reject it, and it's just campaign posturing. Because if Bush accepted it it would be free advertising for Kerry. Of course Bush could look better but Kerry needs to take that chance. Bush doesn't.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 05:39:35 PM »

boss tweed: do yu really think bush is going to win by as much as youve indicated in your signature?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 05:40:21 PM »

boss tweed: do yu really think bush is going to win by as much as youve indicated in your signature?

Miami here Smiley

Yes
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 05:42:39 PM »

i hope bush wins by that much, though im certainly not expecting it.  what makes you think he will?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 05:51:40 PM »

i hope bush wins by that much, though im certainly not expecting it.  what makes you think he will?

Kerry=weak candidate.  If somebody stronger was nominated (Edwards, Gephardt) Bush would lose.
zachman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 09:11:12 PM »

You'll snap out of this Boss Tweed and join the Kerry camp by November, things shouldn't be that bad.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 11:20:06 PM »

Bush won last time because of the debates.  Kerry should avoid, whereever possible, direct comparisions to Bush, especially when it comes to personality.

On that note, Bush should except to debate Kerry SIX times, simply because Bush IS the President and that is kind of an important job.
zachman

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 11:24:12 PM »

Bush won last time because of the debates.  Kerry should avoid, whereever possible, direct comparisions to Bush, especially when it comes to personality.

On that note, Bush should except to debate Kerry SIX times, simply because Bush IS the President and that is kind of an important job.

I disagree. If Bush accepts early debates, he will be following Kerry. Being an incumbent president allows him to keep the upper edge to his oponent and he needs to outshadow Kerry.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 11:51:20 AM »

You'll snap out of this Boss Tweed and join the Kerry camp by November, things shouldn't be that bad.

If you want me to volunteer for John Kerry, you are out of your mind.
If you want me to donate to the Kerry campaign, you are out of your mind.

All I am to Kerry is a vote.  It's more than he needs and it is certainly more than he deserves.
Apostle
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 03:49:33 PM »

I think this is a desperation move by Kerry, but is not well thought out.  I think Bush is a better Speaker.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 04:16:45 PM »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- -- Saying it's time to "raise the level of dialogue," Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign called on President Bush's re-election campaign Thursday to agree to six debates in key battleground states.

Bring it on.

"When all is said and done, much more will have been said than done."
--Jim Church
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 04:19:42 PM »

I think this is a desperation move by Kerry, but is not well thought out.  I think Bush is a better Speaker.

Everyone said that Bill Weld was a better speaker in 96
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2004, 04:37:26 PM »

Bush won't debate Kerry.  Bush is President, Kerry has not even been nominated.

Interestingly, according to Goldwater, in 1963 he and Kennedy agreed informally to campaign across together, each giving a speech, followed by a debate.

If true, it would have set a great precedent for future campaigns!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »

Bush will debate Kerry, just not 6 times.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2004, 04:47:27 PM »

Bush doesn’t need to take the risk... come October He'll agree to debate Kerry as little as possible...  
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2004, 04:59:06 PM »

Bush doesn’t need to take the risk... come October He'll agree to debate Kerry as little as possible...  

Probably twice.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2004, 07:18:30 PM »

If they only debate 1 or 2 times then the debates will help Bush.  Bush is better at smiling and looking good.  He's very good at brief no substance soundbytes.

If they debate several times and can focus on specific issues within the debate then Kerry will benefit.  He's got a much deeper grasp of the material and Bush can only make witticisms for so long before it becomes clear he's dodging the question.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 04:37:11 AM »

I think they will have to debate more than twice IMHO...

I would say about three times, possibly four, the pressure on them to debate more than twice would be enormous and creating an issue out of not debating is something Bush does not want... while in a debate Kerry has the advantage, Bush has improved over the last four years and the impression it would be a walkover for Kerry is flawed... however the Weld precedent  is a very important thing to remember... if Kerry is behind at the time of the debates then he will probably put in a better performance... than where he leading...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies