Politico:Boehner: No minimum wage hike
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:20:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Politico:Boehner: No minimum wage hike
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico:Boehner: No minimum wage hike  (Read 2087 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2013/02/boehner-no-minimum-wage-hike-156913.html?hp=r3
You must be logged in to read this quote.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

Great issue to pillory the poor-killing party upon..
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

I'd agree with a yearly increase based on the increase of inflation. Otherwise, I think there are going to be less and less youthful and inexperienced people joining the job force if the minimum wage is increased too drastically, and I think there needs to be a good amount of the youth getting their start in jobs and preparing themselves for the future ahead.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »

I would generally be in favor. I don't think the effect of $9 would be all that catastrophic. And it would certainly be more appropriate than 7.25.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

Side note: Do not talk to a militant anarchist (anarcho-capitalist specifically) about the minimum wage. They will become ridiculously enraged. My dad is an anarchist, and I tried bringing it up politely, but he hates the very idea of the minimum wage, let alone an increase.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »

Side note: Do not talk to a militant anarchist (anarcho-capitalist specifically) about the minimum wage. They will become ridiculously enraged. My dad is an anarchist, and I tried bringing it up politely, but he hates the very idea of the minimum wage, let alone an increase.

Why would one talk to such a person anyway, under any circumstances?  I mean - there is a dirty disheveled man who walks up and down my street carrying refuse sometimes, shouting out nonsense in Thai.. I actively avoid talking to him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »

Why would he oppose this, especially since it's political suicide?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

Why would one talk to such a person anyway, under any circumstances?  I mean - there is a dirty disheveled man who walks up and down my street carrying refuse sometimes, shouting out nonsense in Thai.. I actively avoid talking to him.

Because he's, you know, my dad. Also because he's the only one who's usually willing to talk to me about politics in my family.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »

Why would he oppose this, especially since it's political suicide?

This kind of stuff will explain the oddity of people like Landrieu, Pryor, and the like surviving..
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »

Raising the minimum wage to $9/hour is guaranteed to increase my total bill at the grocery. And probably will mean longer lines too. I still think it is the right thing to do though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »

Raising the minimum wage to $9/hour is guaranteed to increase my total bill at the grocery. And probably will mean longer lines too. I still think it is the right thing to do though.

Unfortunately capitalism requires poorly run shops, industries, and most of all abysmal customer service.  It is a terrible, inefficient system.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »

Poors who vote Republican due to "omg gayz" have been conditioned to oppose a minimum wage increase. I don't think this is a slam dunk for Obama.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:22:46 PM »

Poors who vote Republican due to "omg gayz" have been conditioned to oppose a minimum wage increase. I don't think this is a slam dunk for Obama.

Look at the results of referenda on minimum wage increases. They all pass overwhelmingly, even in otherwise Republican states.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »

One wonders.  They hate gays viscerally, while the nonsensical 'economic theory' is just something they get indoctrinated into with a good deal less intensity.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

This is for the GOP....GOOD LUCK IN 2014 lololol
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »

Don't ever assume that voters (particularly American voters) will vote based on objective policy reasons and/or their own interests.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »

Don't ever assume that voters (particularly American voters) will vote based on objective policy reasons and/or their own interests.

Most definitely not, particularly in gerrymandered house districts.  However in a few poor religious states, this could help the remaining Democratic 'southern' Senators.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

This is hardly surprising.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »

I'm surprised he didn't interrupt Obama's speech to say it was d.o.a.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »

Much of the large states like IL, NY, and CA with the three largest cities are proposing or already have $9 hr rates in minimum skilled jobs anyways.  Hopefully, the map which is favorable to the left in 2016, the rest of the country will catch up to the three metro cities anyways.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

what a dick
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »

Sounds like kathaksung, whom I have encountered to my displeasure on some other Forums.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

Unsurprising.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »

Unfortunately capitalism requires poorly run shops, industries, and most of all abysmal customer service.  It is a terrible, inefficient system.

Because Soviet shops were known for their customer service Roll Eyes
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »

Because Soviet shops were known for their customer service Roll Eyes

Curiously on the whole they were. In a system where goods were not 'throwaway' most state owned shops and shop keepers would repair and replace damaged goods for years after their purchase. It's still a horrible system, but don't say that there wasn't customer service.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies