Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:29:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107051 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2005, 01:40:09 PM »

Supreme Court Adjustments of 2005

Section 1:  Article III, Section I, Clause II of the constitution will now read as follows:

The Supreme Court shall consist of five Justices who shall all be registered voters, one of whom shall be the Chief Justice. Justices shall hold their office during good behavior.

Section II:
This will take effect upon ratification by the regions, as specified in the constitution.

What is the rationale for having five justices?
Packing it with people who will overturn Bono vs. Atlasia and render Supersoulty's unwed mothers protection bill constitutional.

Well, I suppose at least you're very open about your extremely
Machiavellian motives.
OMG ITS THE FEC!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG PRESTON WAS THE HEAD OF THE FEC ALL THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2005, 10:34:14 AM »

This was written by Joe Republic again and I'm not for it or against it as of now so don't try to crucify me yet. Smiley

VOTING SYSTEM REFORM RESOLUTION

Preamble

Whereas, the current system of preferential voting used for federal elections has been called into question,

Whereas, there are several potential alternative systems that could be used instead,

The Senate hereby recognizes the need for a discussion on reforming the current system of voting.

Section 1 - Forming a Commission

1. The Administration and Senate will jointly form a Commission, that will address the issue of reforming the voting system.

2. The President will appoint the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Forum Affairs, and two Atlasian citizens who do not currently hold federal office, to join the Commission.

3. The President Pro Tempore (PPT) will appoint two senators (including himself if he wishes), and two Atlasian citizens who do not currently hold federal office (and are not the same citizens appointed by the President), to join the Commission.

4. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court will also be a member of the Commission.

4. The members of the Commission will decide among themselves who will chair the Commission, by any means they see fit.

Section 2 - The role of the Commission

1. The Commission will discuss any and all systems of voting that they feel would be appropriate for use in Atlasian federal elections, including the current system of preferential voting.

2. The Commission may conduct these discussions in any way that they see fit.

Section 3 - Report

1. Once the Commission has reached a conclusive decision that meets the approval of the majority of its members, the Chairman will report the findings to the Senate.  The report will state which system(s) of voting they recommend for use in Atlasian federal elections.

2. Once the Chairman has delivered his report, the Commission will disband.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2005, 10:40:04 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2005, 10:42:03 AM by Emsworth »

It would make sense for this commission to discuss not only the means of voting, but also secret vs. public balloting.

Also, I would note that the PPT has considerable latitude in which Senators to appoint: he may appoint any Senators. However, the President seems to have no choice in which members of the Cabinet to appoint. As a matter of principle, since the Presidency's powers seems to have already been so restricted, I would suggest that the President be permitted to choose any two members of the executive branch (including himself, if he pleases, just as the PPT may do).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2005, 10:44:26 AM »

Also, I would note that the PPT has considerable latitude in which Senators to appoint: he may appoint any Senators. However, the President seems to have no choice in which members of the Cabinet to appoint. As a matter of principle, since the Presidency's powers seems to have already been so restricted, I would suggest that the President be permitted to choose any two members of the executive branch (including himself, if he pleases, just as the PPT may do).

I'll agree with that reasoning, though I still think the SoFA ought to be included too.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2005, 06:14:34 PM »

I dont think it would hurt to add a few Governors in there to rep. the regions, Master.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2005, 06:43:59 PM »

I dont think it would hurt to add a few Governors in there to rep. the regions, Master.
Good idea, MAS.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2005, 06:46:37 PM »

Er, why would we include the regions in a reform that only affects things at the federal level?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2005, 06:49:05 PM »

Er, why would we include the regions in a reform that only affects things at the federal level?
I don't think it's just a matter of which level this affects. The voting system is an integral component of the Atlasian political structure, and I think that it would not hurt to have a wide range of interests represented on the commission. (For instance, the Chief Justice would be a member, even though the reform is political, not judicial.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2005, 06:49:33 PM »

I was going to ask the same thing.  Still, the Commission would include four Atlasian citizens who don't currently hold federal office, so I guess a couple of Governors could be picked anyway.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »

I don't think it's just a matter of which level this affects. The voting system is an integral component of the Atlasian political structure, and I think that it would not hurt to have a wide range of interests represented on the commission. (For instance, the Chief Justice would be a member, even though the reform is political, not judicial.)

I suppose.

I also should add that since this affects the President and people external to the Senate, shouldn't this be a bill, instead of just a resolution?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2005, 06:53:48 PM »

I also should add that since this affects the President and people external to the Senate, shouldn't this be a bill, instead of just a resolution?
Yes; it would require the President's signature to become law.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2005, 06:55:26 PM »

I figured that it was mandating a temporary measure that would probably precede an actual bill (i.e. to change the system).  If you'd prefer it was a bill, that would be ok though.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2005, 06:59:56 PM »

I figured that it was mandating a temporary measure that would probably precede an actual bill (i.e. to change the system).  If you'd prefer it was a bill, that would be ok though.
I was under the impression that the Senate could set up internal committees (that is, committees comprised entirely of Senators) on its own, but that the creation of other agencies required a law.

However, I doubt that anyone would actually challenge the commission; it doesn't really matter whether its a bill or a resolution as far as I am concerned.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2005, 07:48:32 PM »

Well, it's just that Senate resolutions are supposed to only be related to things that stay internal in the Senate.  The proposed idea requires the President to act, as well as people from the executive branch and private citizens.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2005, 08:43:43 PM »

Returning some long-term fiscal sanity to the federal government:

Repeal of the Prescription Drug and Medicare Improvement Act of 2003

Section 1:  Definitions

1.  All estimates on projections of spending for the "Medicare Part D benefit" come from CBO estimates listed below.

Testimony on estimating the Cost of the Medicare Modernization Act, circa March 24, 2004

Projection of Spending for the Medicare Part D Benefit, circa February 9, 2005

2.  Through these estimates, it is assumed that the Repeal of the programs created under this Act shall save roughly $557.7 billion dollars over these next 10 years, and that the savings of the Repeal of these programs for FY 2006 shall be roughly $1.8 billion dollars

Section 2: Provisions

1.  The Prescription Drug and Medicare Improvement Act of 2003 is hereby repealed.

2.  All funds previously appropriated by the Senate for FY 2005 to fulfill the requirements of this legislation shall be honored by the Federal Government.

3.  All appropriations and other moneys set to be authorized for fulfillment of this legislation in the Preliminary Version of the Federal Budget for FY 2006 and all future Fiscal Years shall be terminated.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2005, 12:38:39 PM »

I know I'm alittle late in saying this but I support the formation of a committee to look into the pros and cons of any reform to our current voting system.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #241 on: June 30, 2005, 01:44:55 PM »

To continue on with some of my expansionist views here's this bill. I know some people will consider this a lowering of the qualitiy of bills but it isn't. Smiley

Atlasian Land Acquisition Act of 2005

1. After the passage of this bill Atlasia shall begin talks with Denmark for the purchase of Greenland.
2. After discussions with Denmark Atlasia shall agree to purchase Greenland for between $4,332,172-10,830,430.
3. If purchase occurs Greenland shall become a full territory of Atlasia, completely governed by its constitution and laws.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #242 on: June 30, 2005, 04:00:52 PM »

To continue on with some of my expansionist views here's this bill. I know some people will consider this a lowering of the qualitiy of bills but it isn't. Smiley

1. After the passage of this bill Atlasia shall begin talks with Denmark for the purchase of Greenland.
2. After discussions with Denmark Atlasia shall agree to purchase Greenland for between $4,332,172-10,830,430.
3. If purchase occurs Greenland shall become a full territory of Atlasia, completely governed by its constitution and laws.

I sincerely doubt that Denmark would sell Greenland for even a 1/1000th the price of what you're quoting here.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: June 30, 2005, 04:07:23 PM »

Uh, if we're going to begin talks with Denmark to purchase Greenland, why do we essentially have a set price already?

Also, as Sam points out, $10,830,430 is not exactly a lot of money.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2005, 04:10:52 PM »

Why would we want Greenland?  At least there turned out to be oil in Alaska, but there's nothing in Greenland but eskimos and polar bears.  We could rename it 'MasterJedi's Folly'!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

Why would we want Greenland?  At least there turned out to be oil in Alaska, but there's nothing in Greenland but eskimos and polar bears.  We could rename it 'MasterJedi's Folly'!

The Polar Bear is a very endangered species, we must protect it! Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2005, 05:57:41 PM »

I say we should take control of both North and South Atlasia as the continents are both named after this country.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2005, 07:42:40 PM »

Manifest Destiny!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2005, 10:29:07 PM »

I say we should take control of both North and South Atlasia as the continents are both named after this country.

If you really want to take control of both continents, the best means of binding them to Atlasia is through trade.  It is more subtle than just acquiring them outright. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: July 01, 2005, 02:33:45 AM »

I'll manifest your destiny. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length