Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107012 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2005, 06:57:39 PM »

Please stop picking random numbers.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2005, 06:59:51 PM »

How about you look at the budget, figure out what we could cut, and then fit the tax cut to those numbers?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2005, 07:23:02 PM »

Could we, oh, I don't know, leave this thread for legislation introduction and nothing else. I know it's a lot to ask, being that you all must get the last word in and all, but it would probably be much appreciated.

I've given up attempting to regulate this thead.  It just doesn't work. Smiley

Create a 'bitch and debate about introduced legislation thread', then see if they go there instead. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2005, 03:14:42 AM »

We can't afford tax cuts right now. Just pass an asture budget to knock at least some sanity into finances, and have fun next budget (either way).
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2005, 04:09:53 AM »

The tax cuts could go at 25%. How does that sound?

That's still not low enough for the three bills you laid out.

A 19% income tax would cut taxes on the emerging upper class. I would suggest an exemption of about $35,000 for a family of four, only because it's a number very often cited in article such as Heritage and CATO.

More importantly, the rate could be lowered in future years to about 13%, as in Russia.

A18 should be the D3 Senator here...he at least has a brain.

We had that opportunity, but he didn't even get a single vote - not even from himself.

It's rare moments of brilliance like this that make me wonder if putting a troll in office might actually be worth it.

No, putting you in office would not be worth it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2005, 05:13:34 PM »

I think there was a a lot of good in this bill.  I would rather have it in some form than not all all.

The "Preserving our National Parks" Act Revised and Reintroduced

Section I
The Congress recognizes the need to preserve our environment for future generations to enjoy. It also recognizes the state of our National Parks are degrading and we must improve our standards.

Section II
All National Park fees will be increased by 30% in any car/family/group with 2 or less people, 15% in any car/family/group of 3 people, and 10% in any car/family/group of 4 people.  For any pedestrians and and car/family/group of 5 or more people, the current charges will stay the same.

This new income will be used exclusivly for the maintanence and care-taking of that park.

Section III
All government owned and run snowmobiles used in National Parks will be electrically run or powered by a renewable and EPA-approved source by the year 2010. 

Congress will approve $5 million dollars to assist in this transition.

Section IV
Littering fines in all National Parks are now 25% higher.  This new income will all be devoted to the maintenance of the National Parks.

Section V
EPA fines for air and water pollution violations within a 50-mile radius of any National Park are increased by 10%.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »

[/i]Goods and Services Taxation Bill[/i]

1. The federal government shall introduce a Goods and Services Tax at rates determined by the Treasury Department, alhough advised by the senate to be 0% for neccessities, 10% for luxuries and 5% for other goods and services.

2.To determine the category each good or service is placed in, the Treasury Department will be given $5 million over 2 years to fund staff and resources to analyse need, benefit to our economy, and other factors of it's choosing for all goods and services.

3.After the Treasury department determines the placement of goods and services into catergories, this bill shall take effect.

Very much a working draft; I'd appreciate comment from other Senators, Sec. Kramer, and other Atlasians on this bill in the discussion thread for introduced Legislation. I will also be working on a bill for income and business taxation following the guidelines I gave in my campaign.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2005, 06:36:01 PM »

A Resolution to Install Atlasia on the United Nations Human Rights Council

Respectfully submitted by Davenport Central High School

1 Whereas; The Republic of Atlasia  is the leading contributor to human rights causes

2 throughout the world.

3 Whereas; Noted human rights abusers such as Cuba and Saudi Arabia sit on

4 the United Nations Human Rights Council.

5 Whereas; The Republic of Atlasia is rated as the top industrial

Be it resolved that; The Republic of Alasia should be installed on the United Nations Human Rights Council.

HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2005, 07:34:55 PM »

Respectfully submitted by Davenport Central High School

1 Whereas; The Republic of Atlasia  is the leading contributor to human rights causes

2 throughout the world.

3 Whereas; Noted human rights abusers such as Cuba and Saudi Arabia sit on

4 the United Nations Human Rights Council.

5 Whereas; The Republic of Atlasia is rated as the top industrial

Be it resolved that; The Republic of Alasia should be installed on the United Nations Human Rights Council.

HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA

MAS, put this in the bitch thread.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2005, 08:14:35 PM »

I request that the Senate review my post here.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »

Whereas; The Republic of Atlasia  is the leading contributor to human rights causes throughout the world.

Whereas; Noted human rights abusers such as Cuba and Saudi Arabia sit on the United Nations Human Rights Council.

Whereas; The Republic of Atlasia is rated as the top industrial nation in the World.

This is what the resolution was supposed to look like. I got messed up some how. I wouldn't waste any of my good bills on this Senate, but I think this will do.

All comments and suggestions in the bitch thread, please.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »

Respectfully, former President PBrunsel, you can't introduce legislation. 

Some Senator has to introduce it for you.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2005, 02:02:04 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2005, 03:21:37 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act[/i]

§ 1 The possession, sale and consumption of marijuana and the plants needed for its processing, shall not be criminalized by the federal government of Atlasia.

§ 2 All federal activities related with it shall be immediately shut down, and the money currently appropriated to them shall be used for:

A. The construction of treatment centres for alcohol, marijuana,
         and other drug abuses
     B. The fight against illegal drugs

§3 All people convicted by federal courts of the crimes repealed in this bill, shall be given amnesty from the punishment awarded to them by the said courts.

§4. Taxes on marijuana shall be set in the annual budget. Individual regions may set their own taxes on marijuana as they see fit.

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2005, 06:34:14 PM »

Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act[/i]

§ 1 The possession, sale and consumption of marijuana and the plants needed for its processing, shall not be criminalized by the federal government of Atlasia.

§ 2 All federal activities related with it shall be immediately shut down, and the money currently appropriated to them shall be used for:

A. The construction of treatment centres for alcohol, marijuana,
         and other drug abuses
     B. The fight against illegal drugs

§3 All convicts by federal courts of the crimes repealed on this bill, shall be given amnesty to the punishment awarded to them by the said courts.

§4. Taxes on marijuana shall be set in the annual budget. Individual regions may set their own taxes on marijuana as they see fit.

I'm glad to see a form of my old bill is coming back alive.  I would like to see the tax put back on the bill though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2005, 08:10:34 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2005, 03:59:51 AM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

I've been thinking about how to formulate this for quite some time, and I think I finally have a form that I'm happy with:

Affirmative Action Criteria Specification Bill

§1. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is hereby amended by increasing the numbers of sections 708 and onward by one and adding the following section immediately after section 707:

"CRITERIA FOR DETERMINATION OF DISCRIMINATION
SEC. 708. (a) Any claim of violation of the guidelines laid out in sections 703 and 704, put forward as a result of the guidelines specified in in sections 705 to 707 with regards to the punishment of discrimination against an individual based on the traits specified in sections 703 to 704 (hereafter referred to as the "Traits"), shall have the standard laid out in subsection (b) applied to it in order to determine whether a violation has occurred.

(b) For the claim of discrimination to be sustained, it must be proven, by the accuser,

(1) if a discrimination in hiring has occurred, that the hired applicant and the receiver of the alleged discrimination were exactly equal in ability and competenece, or that the receiver of the alleged discrimination was more able and competent than the hired applicant, and that the choice to not to hire the receiver of the alleged discrimination was based soley on that individual's Traits; or

(2) if an other form of discrimination has occurred, that the action against the receiver of the alleged discrimination was not warranted by any procedures laid out by law, by any form of arrangement or agreement between the accused and the receiver of the alleged discrimination, or, if the discrimination was towards an employee of a company, by any form of company code or regulation, and that the choice to take the action against the receiver of the alleged discrimination was based soley on that individual's Traits.

(c) The burden of prove shall be on the accuser.  If any part of the relevant requirements in subsection (b) cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the accusation shall be regarded as without merit and shall be consequently disregarded."

I'll explain what this is exactly doing in the topic provided.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2005, 09:52:45 AM »

What about disabled people?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2005, 02:22:00 AM »

I'm just using what's already in the Civil Rights Act of 1964; if we want to add "disabled people" to the list, that's an entirely different thing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2005, 03:03:08 AM »

I'm just using what's already in the Civil Rights Act of 1964; if we want to add "disabled people" to the list, that's an entirely different thing.

I wonder what the Americans with Disabilities Act says on that.

That might answer your question, though I must admit I've never read the bloody thing.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2005, 04:01:24 AM »

I wonder what the Americans with Disabilities Act says on that.

That might answer your question, though I must admit I've never read the bloody thing.

I have no idea whether or not the Civil Rights Act of 1964 has been amended to include other things that were not present in the copy I found, and quite frankly I don't really feel like looking it up, so I've modified the text of my bill to include a catch-all "see above" line instead of what was there before.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2005, 03:35:49 PM »

Co-Sponsor: Senator SamSpade (U-LA)

Judiciary Bill

Section 1: Divisions of the Supreme Court

There shall be three divisions of the Supreme Court:

i. The Criminal Division
   ii. The Civil Division
   iii. The Electoral Division

Section 2: Criminal Division

1. The Criminal Division of the Supreme Court shall sit to try crimes against Atlasia.

2. Each trial shall be presided over by one Justice of the Court as mandated by the Constitution.

3. Trials shall be by jury unless the defendant shall enter a guilty plea or both the defendant and the prosecution shall agree to a Judge only trial.

4. Sentencing shall be by the presiding Justice, anything in previous statute to the contrary not withstanding.

Section 3: Civil Division

1. The Civil Division of the Supreme court shall sit to hear cases initiated by an individual citizen or group of citizens against the Republic of Atlasia or other citizens, excepting those cases under the jurisdiction of the Electoral Division.

2. Each case shall be presided over by one Justice of the Court, with a jury trying the evidence if the defendant shall wish it, otherwise with the Justice trying the evidence.

3. The presiding Justice shall award damages to the plantiff and order such writs as he shall feel the verdict of the jury and the weight of evidence justify.

Section 4: Electoral Division

1. The Electoral Division of the Supreme Court shall sit to hear cases concerning electoral disputes and cases concerning the Department of Forum Affairs.

2. Each case shall be presided over by one Justice of the Court.

3. The presiding Justice shall order such writs as he shall feel necessary to uphold the law.

Section 5: Full Court Consideration

1. Cases concerning the interpretation of the text of the Constitution or the constitutionality of a legislative or executive action shall be considered by the entire Supreme Court in the first instance, anything in the previous sections not withstanding.

2. The entire Supreme Court shall have appellate jurisdiction to all cases of the Divisions of the Supreme Court as to both Law and Fact.

3. The entire Supreme Court shall also have original jurisdiction over cases not otherwise assigned original jurisdiction by this statute.

Section 6: Assignment to Divisions

1. The Supreme Court shall assign Justices to Divisions of the Supreme Court as it shall wish for one month terms on the first day in each calender month.

2. No more than one Justice shall be assigned to each division of the Court in each month, excepting such circumstances as provided for in other clauses of this Section.

3. Each Justice may serve on a maximum of two Divisions of the Supreme Court, excepting such circumstances as provided for in other clauses of this Section.

4. In the event that Justices shall be absent from the Forum due to vacation or other reasons then Justice(s) may be temporarily appointed to preside over the relevant Division(s) during the absence.

5. In the event that a backlog of cases occurs on a Division of the Supreme Court, then additional Justices may be seconded to the relevant Division as the Court may see fit until such backlog is cleared.

6. Once a case is opened on a Division it shall remain under the same Justice for the duration of its consideration, even where a new Justice is assigned to the Division at the beginning of a new month, except where a Justice shall leave the Supreme Court in mid-trial, in which case a new Justice shall be selected to take over the trial.

7. A Justice may not be presiding over more than one case per Division at any one time.[/i]
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2005, 01:12:59 AM »

Atlasia Education Act of 2005

CLAUSE #1
All teachers must have adaquent training, and must recieve the proper funds by the Atlasian Government needed to fund teacher training.

CLAUSE #2
Funds by the Atlasian government must also be given to be able to assure the proper programs to help reading, math, and science with our children.

You see, I'd like to be nice to your legislation and then you propose something like this.

What else am I supposed to do?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2005, 01:35:10 AM »

What's wrong with it?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2005, 01:46:05 AM »

Look at it for a second.

What is defined as being "adequate training?"

What is defined as being "proper programs to help children?"

The "unfunded mandate" on this bill is simply insane.

This amount of government control over education, I, nor anyone else will stand for.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2005, 04:54:40 AM »

Firstly, numerous grammatical and spelling errors.

(Sorry to chime in, I know I'm not a Senator)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2005, 12:06:08 PM »

Wow, LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to: