Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:58:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 106711 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2005, 09:50:02 PM »

Expanding the language and actions of this bill is probably a good idea, but here is the real jist of it:

Atlasian Road and Rail Deregulation and Privatization Initiative

Section 1
(a).  The Senate recognizes that the regulation and subsidization of freight and passenger rail is fiscally irresponsible and economically dangerous for the industry.

(b).  The Senate recognizes that the nationalization of highways, roads, and bridges is unnecessary and dangerous for the designing of future infrastructure.

(c).  The Senate recognizes that the federal taxation of automotive fuel is economically dangerous and an unnecessary tax.

Section 2
All Federal taxes on the purchase of all fuel used for the powering of automotive vehicles shall be hereby repealed.

Section 3
(a). The Urban Mass Transit Act of 1964, Railway Labor Act of 1926, and the Railroad Retirement Act of 1934 are hereby repealed.

(b). All subsides on freight rail, subways, and other forms of passenger rail are shall be declared void by FY2006.

Section 4
(a).  The management of all highway, road, and bridge networks in Atlasia shall be transfered to their respective regional governments by FY2006.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2005, 12:30:39 PM »

Expanding the language and actions of this bill is probably a good idea, but here is the real jist of it:

Section 1
(a).  The Senate recognizes that the regulation and subsidization of freight and passenger rail is fiscally irresponsible and economically dangerous for the industry.

(b).  The Senate recognizes that the nationalization of highways, roads, and bridges is unnecessary and dangerous for the designing of future infrastructure.

(c).  The Senate recognizes that the federal taxation of automotive fuel is economically dangerous and an unnecessary tax.

Section 2
All Federal taxes on the purchase of all fuel used for the powering of automotive vehicles shall be hereby repealed.

Section 3
(a). The Urban Mass Transit Act of 1964, Railway Labor Act of 1926, and the Railroad Retirement Act of 1934 are hereby repealed.

(b). All subsides on freight rail, subways, and other forms of passenger rail are shall be declared void by FY2006.

Section 4
(a).  The management of all highway, road, and bridge networks in Atlasia shall be transfered to their respective regional governments by FY2006.

I'd like to co-sponsor this bill.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2005, 01:45:34 PM »

Section 1

Section 2

Section 3

Section 4

What are the fiscal implications of this bill?  Seems like you're getting rid of all gas taxes, that's got to cost a lot
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2005, 03:58:03 PM »

Section 1

Section 2

Section 3

Section 4

What are the fiscal implications of this bill?  Seems like you're getting rid of all gas taxes, that's got to cost a lot

We all also getting rid of $35 billion in transporation subsides and regulatory costs.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »

Diplomatic Mission Bill

Primary Sponsor: Senator MAS117
Co-Sponsor: Senator Supersoutly

§ I. The President of Atlasia shall have power to negoitiate Treaties and establish diplomatic relations with other micronations or forums, but such Treaties and relations shall only have effect where ratified by the Senate.

§ II. The President may appoint ambassadors to foreign nations to help facilitate relations between the said nation and the Republic of Atlasia. These said ambassadors must be confirmed with the advice and consent of a majority of the Senate.

§ III. The Ambassadorship does not qualify as an Office under the Government of Atlasia.

§ IV. The Presidential nominee for an Ambassadorship must be be voted for in the affirmative by a majority of the Senate in order to be confirmed.

§ V. The Ambassador's will report directly to the Secretary of State, who in turn will report directly to the President of Atlasia.

§ VI. It shall be the job of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security (a sub-department within the Department of State) to protect Ambassdor's in foreign nations. It shall be the job of the Marine Security Guard Battalion to guard and protect Atlasian Embassies in foreign nations.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2005, 03:43:22 PM »

As requested of me by former Senator Bono, I will introduce two Amendments to the Constitution (in separate posts) that he has asked me to introduce.

If there are any problems or changes with either of these, Bono, please let me know and I will do so.  I have modified the wording very slightly to make it sound in keeping with the rest of the document.

Addition to the Bill of Rights, Article VI

16.  Each individual shall have the inherent Right of defending the life, liberty and property of any individual using whatever force is necessary, through whatever means available, including the use of deadly force.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2005, 03:47:23 PM »

Addition to the Bill of Rights, Article VI

17.  No individual shall ever be imprisoned for debt, taxes, alimony, or "child support"; "child support" being defined commonly as the giving of money to one's ex-mate.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2005, 05:39:48 PM »

In a Naso-like flourish of amusement that will be produced by this, since it now looks like my Constitutional Amendment to Keep and Bear Arms is going down in flames, I would like to introduce this bill to remind people to actually read the Atlasian Constitution sometime:

(this is a joke bill, but it is quite legal)

Confiscation of Firearms Bill

Section 1

All Citizens of Atlasia shall not be allowed to keep firearms, explosives or any other weapon implements on their personage at any time, nor in their places of residence, unless given special rights to by the federal government.

Section 2

Anyone found in violation of this law can be sentenced in Federal Court to a sentence not less than 10 years and not greater than 100 years.
Sam, I don't like to actually read what I vote on so this get's my full support.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2005, 05:50:37 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2005, 03:33:18 PM by Senator MasterJedi »

Pacifican Statehood Act of 2005

I. After a majority of vote by the citizens of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands voting in the affirmative in a referendum administrated five days after the passage of this act by the territory governments of the commonwealths of Guam, Atlasian Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands are hereby entered in the Union of Atlasia as the 52nd state of Pacifica (or 51st if Puerto Rico doesn’t come in).
II. The Senate shall vote on the region/district the state of Pacifica shall be entered into.
III. The state of Pacifica shall be given full rights under whichever region/district it’s placed into and be under full jurisdiction of the Atlasian Constitution.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2005, 08:00:16 PM »

No this is getting ing stupid. Know how many people live on the majority of those islands MAS?

Navassa - 0
Jarvis - 0
Howland - 0
Baker - 0
Palmyra - 0
Wake - 200 contractors
Kingman Reef - 0

The only islands that have significant population are Am. Samoa - 70K and Virgin Islands 124K.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »

I added the 3 territories in the Pacific that have population (Northern Mariana, Guam and Atlasian (in this case) Somoa) as one state.

You (in your bill that even you admit is pointless) want each island a state, even those that don't have population. In my bill we start getting some taxes back while getting the islands up to the quality of living that we enjoy today.

You on the other hand seem to really want to let them wallow in poverty!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »

A Bill to Establish “Statesman Park”

Be it enacted by the Senate here assembled:

Section 1: A “Statesman Park” will be established through the Atlasian National Park System.

Section 2: The park will be established to commemorate the history of such Atlasian Statesmen, ranging from Presidents, to Senators, to Governors, to Cabinet members.

Section 3: Bronze statues will be erected to their memory as well as a plaque commemorating their achievements.

Section 4: This park will be established in Arlington, Virginia.

Section 5: Funding will come from those penalties under the Preserving Our National Parks Act.

Just another silly bill from me to keep our history remembered.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2005, 08:25:34 PM »

This simple initiative is the first step toward real education reform and will save taxpayers over $350 million by taking a projected 500,000 Atlasian students out of public schools in areas across the country.

The Atlas Educational Scholarship and Choice Initiative

Section 1.   

Beginning in the fiscal year of 2006, the Treasury of the Republic of Atlasia shall activate a nonrefundable personal income tax credit valued at $500 per applicable dependent for the reimbursement of funds spent on the tuition of a K-to-12 school which is not a member of a government-sponsored public school district. 

Section 2.

Beginning the fiscal year of 2006, the Treasury of the Republic of Atlasia shall activate a nonrefundable personal income tax credit for the donation of funds to an I.R.S. 501(c)3 K-to-12 scholarship clearing-house charity valued at 50 percent of the total annual donation.

Section 3.   

Individual taxpayer shall be allowed to apply for both tax credits in 1.(a) and 1.(b) only if the credited return does not exceed their income tax liability for the fiscal year.

Section 4.

For a taxpayer to receive the credit, they shall be required to enclose a standard receipt for each dependent from the applicable schools or charities.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #188 on: June 05, 2005, 08:26:26 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2005, 01:11:15 AM by Senator MAS117 »

Striking of the 24 Waiting Period

Primary Sponsor:[/b] Senator MAS117
Co-Sponsor:[/b] Senator Colin Wixted, Senator Supersoulty, Senator King, Senator MasterJedi, Senator Sam Spade, Senator Gabu

1.) Article 3, Section 2, Clause 6 is hereby removed from the Official Senate Procedural Resolution.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2005, 05:42:29 PM »

Co-Sponsor:[/b] Senator Colin Wixted, Senator Supersoulty, Senator King

1.) Article 3, Section 2, Clause 6 is hereby removed from the Official Senate Procedural Resolution.

I'll co-sponsor this as well!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2005, 10:31:29 PM »

Co-Sponsor:[/b] Senator Colin Wixted, Senator Supersoulty, Senator King, Senator Masterjedi

I would like to co-sponsor this as well.  When this comes to a vote, I will point out other parts of the resolution we can strike that deal with this clause exclusively.

(If we have enough co-sponsors, do we actually need a vote.)  Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2005, 12:39:30 AM »

Yes, we do, just to make sure and to make it official.  Simply saying "this has enough support; let's just pass it" would create a bad precedent, to say the least.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:22 AM »

Yes, we do, just to make sure and to make it official.  Simply saying "this has enough support; let's just pass it" would create a bad precedent, to say the least.

Nah, I understand.  I was more of just making a joke, frankly.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2005, 08:16:13 AM »

Fatwa Appreciation Act

Wheras the current government of Iran is run by an insane, extremist Ayatollah, the State Department shall have the right to publicly mock any insane fatwas that the Grand Ayatollah of Iran issues.

Iranian Resistance Support Act

Wheras the current government of Iran's violations of human rights and its support of terrorist movements runs contrary to the interests of both the United States and the Iranian people, the US Government is authorized to give $20 million in aid during FY2005 and FY2006 to resistance fighters attempting to overthrow the current government of Iran, at the discretion of the Departments of Defense and State.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2005, 02:11:38 PM »

Iranian Resistance Support Act

Wheras the current government of Iran's violations of human rights and its support of terrorist movements runs contrary to the interests of both the United States and the Iranian people, the US Government is authorized to give $20 million in aid during FY2005 and FY2006 to resistance fighters attempting to overthrow the current government of Iran, at the discretion of the Departments of Defense and State.

I believe I did something like this in my Promotion of Democracy Act, which implecitely states Iran as one of the sources of aid for pro-democracy groups but I would support an increase in that aid.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2005, 11:56:05 AM »

Marijuana Criminalization Act

Section I
The Marijauana Legalization and Taxation act is hereby repealed.

Section II
Regions shall be given the right to decide the status of Marijuana legaliziation in their state.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2005, 01:03:56 PM »

Marijuana Criminalization Act

Section I
The Marijauana Legalization and Taxation act is hereby repealed.

Section II
Regions shall be given the right to decide the status of Marijuana legaliziation in their state.

Section II is already a part of the Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act. It implicitely states that the possession, sale, and consumption of marijuana, and the plants needed for its processing, shall not be considered illegal by the federal government of Atlasia. Commercially sold marijuana cigarettes shall be subject to the same regulations as tobacco cigarettes, unless a regional law shall nullify this provision and provide its own. (Important areas are bolded)

The Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act was a federal decriminalization of marijuana not a full regional and federal decriminalization. If you would like you have the full authority to put forth a proposition in the Southeast, under the Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act, to criminalize the possesion and use of marijuana. I personally see no reason for this law since it basically gives the states a power that they already have. Preston you need to stop getting all riled up about things like this.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2005, 01:29:11 PM »

Colin is quite right on the application of the bill in the Regions at large.

I would not have approved it, had the Regions not had the right to tax it and criminalize it themselves, etc.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2005, 10:02:25 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2005, 11:43:40 AM by Senator Sam Spade »

A proposed amendment given to me by Governor Dubya:

Constitutional Amendment to Article IV, Section 2, Clause 4

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 4, of the Constitution of Atlasia shall be amended to read thus:

A State by plebiscite shall be able to veto its transfer from one Region to another, or initiate a transfer to a different Region.

jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2005, 10:33:21 AM »

Atlasian Tax Reform Act of 2005

Section I
The Alternative Minimum Tax is now alterted in which the minimum base to be qualified increases proportionally to inflation annually.  The minimum base is now set at $80,000.

Section II
Coporate Income Tax deductions and subsidies not pertaining to discouraging a negative externality or encouraging scientific research and development or any other positive externality shall be cut 25%.

Section III
The Earned Income Tax Credit (ETIC) is increased by 10%

Section IV
For all married couples filling jointly, the income will be taxed at the rate average of the rates of the two individuals should they have filled seperately

Section V
The Federal Estate Tax is renewed to 1999 levels for all estates of valued over $5,000,000. 

Section VI
The current FY 2005 tax cuts for those in the top 1% tax bracket are eliminated and the tax cuts for the top 2-5% are cut in half.

Section VII
The income tax rate for small buisnesses is decreased 5%.  A small buisness in this case will be defined as any buisness that's gross revenue is between $50,000 and $5,000,000.

Section VIII
Taxes for all making less than $75,000 anually are cut 1%.

I will work on the facts and figures while it works it's way to the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies