Wisconsin: Narrow Bush lead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Wisconsin: Narrow Bush lead
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Wisconsin: Narrow Bush lead  (Read 6581 times)
NHPolitico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2004, 06:56:32 AM »

Poll: Bush leads Kerry 47%-41% in Wisconsin
http://www.jsonline.com/news/gen/apr04/219183.asp

President Bush enjoys a narrow lead in Wisconsin, though his popularity has gradually slipped since the fall.

At the same time, negative views of challenger John Kerry are up sharply since his victory march through the Democratic primaries.

Bottom line?

"This state is in play," pollster G. Donald Ferree Jr. said of the latest Badger Poll, a statewide survey of 500 voting-age adults taken March 23 to 31.

Bush led Kerry 47% to 41% in the poll, with independent Ralph Nader capturing 5%.

Bush's lead was slightly smaller - 49% to 45% - in a one-on-one matchup with Kerry.

That points to Nader's potential to hurt Kerry in an extremely tight election. When Democrat Al Gore carried Wisconsin by two-tenths of a percentage point in 2000, Nader drew 4% of the vote.

Since the last Badger Poll was taken in late January and early February, Kerry has nailed down the Democratic nomination and both sides have embarked on early and aggressive ad campaigns in the nation's most competitive states. The largest concentration of swing states is in the Midwest, and Wisconsin is in the heart of that battleground belt.

In Kerry's case, a barrage of Bush ads, many of them attacking his record on defense and taxes, seems to have had an impact.

In the last Badger Poll, only 18% said they had an unfavorable impression of Kerry. In the new poll, 34% said so. Those saying they had a favorable impression of the Massachusetts senator dropped from 42% to 37%.

But the poll contains warning signs for both candidates.

Negative views of Bush are up, too, though the change is less dramatic, and less recent. The Republican incumbent faced a barrage of negative ads during the Democratic primaries, including Wisconsin's in mid-February. Since Bush launched his own multimillion-dollar ad blitz a month ago, he has outspent the opposition. But liberal groups supporting Kerry have aired ads attacking Bush on jobs and the war in Iraq.

In October 2003, 60% of those polled in the state viewed Bush favorably, 34% unfavorably.

But in three polls since then, the gap between those two numbers has narrowed each time, with 52% now viewing Bush favorably and 41% viewing him unfavorably. Bush's job performance ratings are also as low as they have been since polling began in early 2002, though they've changed little in the past two months.

Close contest A series of national polls released in recent days all show a neck-and-neck contest, with Kerry leading some, Bush others. Some polls have shown movement toward Bush since early and mid-March. In virtually all the surveys, the difference between the two candidates is within the margin of polling error.

In the Badger Poll, Bush's 6-point lead in the three-way matchup with Kerry and Nader is "close to the edge of statistical significance," said Ferree, meaning "Bush is probably ahead of Kerry, but not by much." The survey's margin of error is a little over 4 percentage points.

A separate Wisconsin poll released late last week by the American Research Group had Kerry slightly ahead, 46% to 43%, with Nader at 4%.

The Badger Poll is conducted by the University of Wisconsin Survey Center and sponsored by the Journal Sentinel and Capital Times of Madison.

Some trends in the Wisconsin poll are also apparent in the national polling.

For instance, in a Gallup poll released this week, Bush has made gains and moved slightly ahead of Kerry. But the survey pointed to negatives for both candidates. Bush's approval ratings on the economy and terrorism were the lowest Gallup has measured during his presidency. On the other hand, the share of people with a negative view of Kerry had jumped.

Pollster Frank Newport said the recent trend toward Bush measured by Gallup reflected "more a deficit on Kerry's side than a real plus on Bush's side," as the Bush campaign's attacks on Kerry chipped away at the Democrat's "soft" levels of support.

But whether the ad wars have created a different dynamic in battleground states such as Wisconsin than in the rest of the country isn't altogether clear from the polling, and may not be known for a while.

Bush has outspent Democrats, but the picture varies from state to state. According to figures supplied by Republicans, Kerry and allied groups spent a little over $900,000 on ads in Wisconsin last month. According to Democrats, Bush has spent a roughly similar amount.

Both the state poll and national polls underscore how deeply polarized voters are at this early point in the general election campaign.

In the Badger Poll, this shows up in perceptions of Bush's job performance. The poll asks voters to choose among four ratings: excellent, good, fair or poor. Since the last Badger Poll, the number of people giving Bush the highest rating - excellent - went from 11% to 16%. And the number of people giving him the worst rating - poor - also rose, from 22% to 30%. That 30% figure, reflecting the most anti-Bush segment of the electorate, is easily the highest recorded for Bush in the Badger Poll, going back to early 2002.

The poll also highlights the partisan divide among voters. In the Badger Poll, 94% of Republicans have a favorable view of Bush, while 5% have an unfavorable one.

Meanwhile, 18% of Democrats have a favorable view of Bush, while 77% have an unfavorable one.

Kerry also inspires a huge partisan perception gap.

In these numbers as well, the poll points to areas of concern for each candidate. Kerry's popularity among his base - Democrats - is not as overwhelming as Bush's is among Republicans. But Kerry does slightly better than Bush among independents.

Bush spokeswoman Merrill Smith said the poll showed "Wisconsin is very much in play." Republicans view that in itself as a positive, since the state has voted Democratic since 1988, and it had a recent primary that drew attention to Democratic attacks on Bush.

"It's going to be a close race," said Kerry deputy campaign manager Steve Elmendorf, who termed Bush's job ratings "in decline" and said Kerry had come through a period of heavy Bush spending "still tied" nationally.

The Badger Poll numbers cited above are based on the responses of all voting-age adults surveyed. When only registered voters were asked their presidential preference, the results were virtually identical.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 07:00:57 AM »

No suprise
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 07:06:45 AM »

I must say that i was... Iowa is showing Kerry with a strong lead and Iowa had far more GOP pols in the House, Senate etc... but the poll only questioned 500 adults of election age.... so I would say its not gospel but a MOE of say 5% would be about right...where's Vorlon? when you need him?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 07:09:03 AM »

I've been worried about Wisconsin for ages...
JNB

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 07:15:14 AM »

Kerry needs to be far more agressive in Midwest on economic issues and especially trade. People really do not care about WMD issues for the most part, and it seems the Clarke hearings may have had the same impact on Bush as t he Lewinsky business had on Clinton, meaning they backfired.

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 07:16:49 AM »

quote author=Al link=board=5;threadid=1745;start=0#msg57276 date=1080907743]
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah you have been saying so for a while... but looks its a small sample of people who are not even necessarily even registered according to the poll?... and a margin of error of 5% its not that devastating

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 07:18:25 AM »

Kerry needs to be far more agressive in Midwest on economic issues and especially trade. People really do not care about WMD issues for the most part, and it seems the Clarke hearings may have had the same impact on Bush as t he Lewinsky business had on Clinton, meaning they backfired.  

The economy hurts Bush in the Upper Midwest, the Rustbelt and the Upper South (especially NC and SC).
I don't see anywhere were Kerry can gain EV's on WMD... but he can on the economy.
Mind you... it is political silly season right now...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 07:19:55 AM »

quote author=Al link=board=5;threadid=1745;start=0#msg57276 date=1080907743]
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah you have been saying so for a while... but looks its a small sample of people who are not even necessarily even registered according to the poll?... and a margin of error of 5% its not that devastating

True... but I'm still worried...
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 07:42:06 AM »

So Wisconsin is close.  What else is new.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 07:56:58 AM »

[Vorlon impression]University polls suck!!![/Vorlon Impression]

This was a university poll. Smiley

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 08:07:36 AM »

[Vorlon impression]University polls suck!!![/Vorlon Impression]

This was a university poll. Smiley

Even if its a characterisation I’ll take that as gospel... as its a characterisation of Vorlon who we should just recognise as King of number crunching!... and I mean that!  

But   agcat is right... WI was won by gore by 0.07 last time (?) this isn’t any thing new... added to that its not far off what the last Win poll was...    
ShapeShifter

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 08:12:09 AM »

Just another unknown pollster trying to grab attention.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 08:17:41 AM »

Just another unknown pollster trying to grab attention.

That's the Spirit!
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 08:56:59 AM »

Take this one with a grain of salt.  The result is not "nuts" but three points to keep in mind...

1)  It's a University poll...
2)  It's a University poll...
3)  It's a University poll...
ShapeShifter

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 08:59:47 AM »

Take this one with a grain of salt.  The result is not "nuts" but three points to keep in mind...

you forgot the fourth point

4)It's a University poll
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 09:02:54 AM »

4)It's a University poll

Thanks...

oh, ya, and it was done by a University....
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 10:37:36 AM »

4)It's a University poll

Thanks...

darn tooting
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 10:44:20 AM »

4)It's a University poll

Thanks...

darn tooting

Yeah, but it was done by the greatest university in ALL the land! Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 06:22:14 PM »

If numbers like today's jobs report keep coming, all sorts of midwestern states will be moving to Bush.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 08:00:04 PM »

An ARG poll dont about a week ago has it Kerry 46-Bush 43% in Wisconsin.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 10:10:26 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2004, 10:16:19 PM by The Vorlon »

Meet the new map... same as the old map...

Delaware (3 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore + 13.06%

The wise men and women at CBS News / NYTimes polling has declared that this is indeed a battleground state.  Despite the fact that in 2000 it voted more heavily for Gore than such GOP bastions as Vermont and Illinois, I will in expression of my reverance for CBS polling officially be placing this state in the "Tossup" category...

Washington (11 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore + 5.58%

Some wise Republicans I know have told me this state is truly in play and that it was a lot closer than the 2000 results would suggest because Maria Cantwell who won Slade Gordon's old Senate seat in 2000 "pumped up" the Democrat numbers here by spending something like $8 million of her own money...

I don't see anything that makes me move this state from the borderline between lean/solid Kerry

Michigan (17 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore + 5.13%

In addition to generalized job loses in manufacturing, Michigan has been getting double dipped because many Big 3 auto jobs are moving sount as Ford plants shut down in Michigan and Honda plants open up in the South.

Like Washington, I don't see anything that makes me move this state from the borderline between lean/solid Kerry

Maine (4 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore + 5.11%

Maine can split their EVS.. who ever wins each of the 2 congressional districts get one EV per, and the winner overall of the sate gets the other two.  Maine 2 CD is very close.  I mention this because if Kerry wins WEst Virginia and New Hampshire, and all other states stay the same, the Electoral College would be 269/269....

Still leans Kerry

Pennsylvania  (21 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore + 4.17%

Eight (!) polls in the last two weeks showing anything from Kerry +3 to Bush +7.  Darn close right now, razor thin edge to Bush.  Pennsylvania is, from an economic perspective. the state(among those in the rust beat) that will feel first and most any pickup in jobs and manufacturing.  Based on the 308,000 new jobs in March (plus another 64,000 extra as they revised February upward) I am marginally confident in leaning this state to Bush.

Minnesota (10 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore +2.40%

GOP is very energized in this state.  The "Get out the vote" effort from the GOP has gone from braindead to actually pretty decent in the last 6 years.  I still think if it gets "really" close a lot of Nader votes will "come home" and keep this one for Kerry, but it might be razor close...

Oregon   (7 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore +0.44%   

NOBODY (at least not from this planet) really seems to understand this state politically.  Portland + Eugene are as democratic as it gets, the rest of the state is Deep Blue Bush. It's a battle of turnout.  Are the Tree Huggers more organized than the guys with the Chainsaws, or the other way around?

Haven't seen any polls from anybody I trust.  I'll leave it for Kerry for now.  That's not a "hard" call, just don't have enough evidence either way...

Iowa (7 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore +0.31%

For reasons that are not totally clear to me, Iowa is trending to Kerry at this point - Polls are showing Kerry at high single digits for a lead.  No reason to flip this one.

Wisconsin (10 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore +0.22%

4 polls I've seen, two show Bush leading, 2 show Kerry leading.  The Bush margins were bigger, but I trust the Kerry polls more... Wisconsin may bounce back fairly fast to Bush however if the new jobs trend stays good..

New Mexico (5 EVs) - 2000 Result Gore +0.06%

Seen three polls, one with Kerry +2, one with a tie, and one with Bush +1.  I haven't got a clue on this state.  Toss a coin, leave it for carry, flip to Bush, take your pick ...Smiley

Florida (21 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush + 0.01%

Actually, I have this state pretty solid for Bush.  Florida's economy is actually  in darn good shape.  Brother Jeb is very popular (Despite all the "angry democrat" hyperventalating Brother Jeb won re-election in a semi-landslide of +13 in 2002)  I also don't think Dem turnout has anywhere to go - I think Gore/Brazille turned out every live voter, and a few dead ones too there was to have in 2000.

New Hampshire (4 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush + 0.01%

Two polls, two weeks apart by the same firm (ARG) has Bush +5 and +6.  ARG is not a wretched firm by any means, but not quite enough for me to flip this state back to Bush.  Less certain about Kerry taking this one than I was.  If I see a poll from a firm I trust showing Bush ahead, I'd flip this state.. (I am surprised... I had this state semi-firm for Kerry a few weeks ago)

Missouri (11 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush +3.34%

Two polls, Bush +6 and Bush +7 - Can't see a reason to flip this one from lean Bush

Ohio (20 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush + 3.51%

A real Battleground state.  Ohio has been hit quite hard economically, perhaps even more so than Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc.  Terrance Group just finished up the "Full Meal Deal" polling of Ohio and had Bush at + 4.7. Apparently they polled the $%$# out of all the swing counties like Montgomery, Franklin, Hamilton, Lukas, and Stark, which tells me the GOP is a bit worried, or at least planning to shore things up early...

This is a firm I deeply respect, but think that this far out the way they do their likely voter models likely pads Bush's lead by a couple points.  Bush barely ahead seems about right to me.  I haven't seen a full set of results from Terrance Group yet, so my opinion is still a bit soft on this one.  Teeter/Hard has also polled the state and I think they publish on Monday.

Nevada (5 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush + 3.55%

Mason-Dixon has Bush at +11.  While I would be surprised if double digits holds, I'll keep this one leaning fairly hard Bush's way.

Tennessee (11 EVs)- 2000 Result Bush + 3.86%

Unless Kerry picks Robert E Lee as his runnning mate, the south is long gone...

Arkansas (6 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush + 5.44%

West Virginia (5 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush +6.32%

Too close to call.  Saw one poll a tie, the other Kerry +2.  Don't actually trust either poll, so I'll stick with "Lean Kerry" till I get something I trust.  

Louisiana (9 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush +7.68%

Virginia (13 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush +-8.04%

Colorado   (5 EVs) - 2000 Result Bush +8.36%

Colorado is in play... in 2008... but not this year......
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 10:23:43 PM »

Vorlon,
As always, great information.  Two specific questions. 1) where do you get the information on the preliminary data on the Terrance polling of Ohio?  I've been looking all over the net and haven't found anything. 2) where do you get the overnight individual day polling for Rasmussen.  I see the three day rolling average on his website but can't find the one night results.

And since I'm throwing questions at you, here's one more.  What do you think of the Survey USA state polls.  Seems they did ok in the 2002 Senate races.

Thanks in advance.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 10:40:18 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2004, 10:57:23 PM by The Vorlon »

Vorlon,
As always, great information.  Two specific questions. 1) where do you get the information on the preliminary data on the Terrance polling of Ohio?  I've been looking all over the net and haven't found anything. 2) where do you get the overnight individual day polling for Rasmussen.  I see the three day rolling average on his website but can't find the one night results.

And since I'm throwing questions at you, here's one more.  What do you think of the Survey USA state polls.  Seems they did ok in the 2002 Senate races.

Thanks in advance.

Rasmussen....

If you "right click" on the Rassmussen page and select "view source" you can actually get the HTML code that generates the page, and the graph Rasmussen draws of the tracking poll has the results to a tenth of a percent.. Smiley

He also published a seven day roll, to a tenth of a percent.  Between the 3 and 7 day rolls, it's easy enough to calculate the daily results.

Example...

I know that from day 1 to day 7  Candidate X had an average support of 50% - I thus know the total of the 7 days of polling was 350%

I know that on Day 3 his support was 51.5% - thus the total of Days 1 to 3 must have been 154.5

I know that on Day 6 his support was 49.0% - thus the totals of days  4-6 must have been 147.0

350 - 154.5 - 147 = Suport EXACTLY for day 7..

Do the same thing till you have any two consecutive days, and once you know two days in a row, the rest is easy...

The Terrance Group topline numbers are up on the subscription site at PollingReport.  This poll was commission by the GOP, and I still have a friend or two from when I worked on the "dark side".. she will email me the full version when she sees it.

A good site BTW (actually the site is crazy, but they have a lot of numbers) is http://prorev.com/amline3.htm
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »

Thanks.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2004, 01:03:33 AM »

Great analysis Vorlon, enjoyed reading it.  Yesterday's job number and my gut feeling would prompt me to tip NM, NH, OR, MN, IA, and WS to Bush but they could easily stay Kerry as you show them.  

Your map matches my Bush worst case.  

Lastly, I think PA is doing quite a bit better economically than OH, which is in turn doing quite a bit better than MI.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies