Mideast Constitutional Amendment: Vote Tracker/Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:56:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Constitutional Amendment: Vote Tracker/Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Constitutional Amendment: Vote Tracker/Discussion  (Read 1423 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »

Voting has now opened on the Lt. Governor amendment (and in the nick of time, too!)

With all of the new activity that has come to our region, we were able to come up with a version that has received support from all sides. It will certainly be a work in progress, and I'm sure they're will be some amendments made to it as time progresses, but this amendment is a great first step for our region.

I urge all Mideasterners to vote AYE!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »

In a surprise (to me, anyways), the amendment has passed narrowly, 18-9!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »

Yay!  I don't have to potentially become Governor anymore! Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »

Does a new Lt. Governor need to be appointed, or will the position remain vacant until the next election?

Tmth will appoint someone, who will then face Assembly confirmation.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:54:40 PM »

Does a new Lt. Governor need to be appointed, or will the position remain vacant until the next election?
Not to seem opportunistic Grin, but the next election isn't for another 3 1/2 months, one should probably be apportioned.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:35:23 AM »

Any idea on when we will see an appointment?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »

Any idea on when we will see an appointment?
Soon. Very soon. I am currently contacting prospective candidates.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:28:07 AM »

Is that the correct interpretation of the amendment?  The language says "fall vacant"; here, it is being created vacant.  I'm not sure that that would fit under "fall vacant".  Not that I care either way - just throwing that out there.  (We haven't had a court case in a while, you know.) Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »

I agree with Inks. I don't think the text of the newly passed constitutional amendment requires the Governor to appoint a Lt. Governor now. Indeed, according to my interpretation of the amendment the first Lt. Governor of the Mideast will be the one we are going to elect with the Governor in May. At any rate, I would like to hear what our regional judge, TJ, has to say on this.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »

I think Inks has it right.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »

It depends on whether we consider this an instance of the position "falling vacant" or not, it seems. Since the bill is in effect and the position has been officially re-established, why don't we just treat this as case where we had an LG who happened to resign around this time? Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »

Not my interpretation. It says if the position becomes vacant, I appoint someone. At whatever time last night when the amendment officially passed, the position was re-instated and instead of being extinct, became officially vacant, requiring a replacement. I have 36 hours from when when the amendment passed to name someone to the position, and I fully intend to.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »

Well, we'll know more as soon as TJ chimes in. Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »

My initial interpretation of the amendment is that the clear intent of the wording is such that the governor will make an appointment for the position of Lieutenant Governor in the event of a vacancy, even though its literal meaning does describe the vacancy as a "fall". The literal meaning of this cannot be taken as its intent unless an alternate course of action was laid out in the case of a vacancy that was not caused by a "fall" into vacancy or some presumption of an alternate state that should be applied to this; for instance I find it difficult to presume that the office of Lieutenant Governor is intended to be vacant unless the vacancy is caused by a resignation. Or if we had an election and no one ran for Lieutenant Governor, that vacancy would also not literally result from a "fall".

I am open to arguments on the topic and my comment here does not necessarily mean it would be my ruling if such a case were to come before me. But if there is no suit and my general opinion is wanted, I believe an appointment should be made.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »

At least as far as I'm concerned, there will not be a lawsuit. My opinion on this matter differs from yours and the governor's - in my view the prerequisite for a vacancy is that someone previously held the office in question - but I'm fine with your general opinion. The most important to me was that we could hear what the representative of our judicial branch has to say before we proceed on this matter. And this is the case now.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:31 PM »

At least as far as I'm concerned, there will not be a lawsuit. My opinion on this matter differs from yours and the governor's - in my view the prerequisite for a vacancy is that someone previously held the office in question - but I'm fine with your general opinion. The most important to me was that we could hear what the representative of our judicial branch has to say before we proceed on this matter. And this is the case now.

If I have time, I may file suit.  TJ really hasn't had much to do... why not put the position to use? Smiley
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »

If I have time, I may file suit.  TJ really hasn't had much to do... why not put the position to use? Smiley
If the position was want to not be filled yet, the amendment should've had it take affect when the next Governor is sworn in in May. There's still 3/4 of a term left.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 12:08:08 AM »

If the position was want to not be filled yet, the amendment should've had it take affect when the next Governor is sworn in in May. There's still 3/4 of a term left.

How can something that was never filled "fall vacant"?
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »

How can something that was never filled "fall vacant"?
It would kinda be a failure on the part of the Assembly for being so vague. But I believe their intent was for the Governor to nominate someone to fill it, and then someone would officially run for it in May.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »

It fell vacant when it came into existence.  That's my interpretation.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

A fall is a type of change in condition; there is no change in condition here.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »

A fall is a type of change in condition; there is no change in condition here.
Yes there is - it went from being nonexistent to existent. It fell vacant the second the amendment passed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »

The Lt. Governor is defined at the beginning as someone elected with the Governor.  Thus, the office is not yet in existence, only provided for by law.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies