How did the following school cliques voted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did the following school cliques voted?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How did the following school cliques voted?  (Read 4633 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 02:03:36 AM »

I went to a non-religious private high school. I recall that in 2004 (my junior year) we had a mock election and Bush won by a pretty decent margin. Pretty much everyone's families were well-to-do, so there wasn't a very visible income effect. I think the kids whose parents were white-collar professionals (medicine, law, academia) were the most Democratic of the bunch. The kids whose parents were in the oil industry were the most Republican.

Ironically, the one particularly conservative person I recall was a girl who had a scholarship to attend and whose family was fairly lower-middle class and were very devout (non-Hispanic) Catholics. One time in history during the Bush-Kerry election, she got into a heated discussion with a girl from a wealthy family who was supporting Kerry. The Kerry girl became frustrated and said something to the effect of, "Why do you care so much about cutting my parents' taxes? How is that going to benefit you or your family?!"

In 2008, based on what I was seeing former classmates posting on Facebook and such, I would say my class as a whole voted for Obama maybe 55-to-40 (with the rest voting libertarian). Pretty similar for 2012.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »

Our school had a mock election that was 2:1 Obama even though our town voted fairly solidly for Romney.  Most cliques would be liberal, except maybe jocks.  Most people here are strongly socially liberal, especially on abortion/gay marriage, but less liberal on economic issues.  Honors students generally have the biggest divide, very few are socially conservative but plenty are economically conservative as they, to varying degrees, see kids in neighboring, much poorer-achieving towns(and some non-honors students) as lazy and lacking self-discipline and a good work ethic.  As a student in the honors classes, it's clear why:  our classes are far more rigorous than regular-level classes and probably give a sense of elitism and bitterness. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies