Bob Woodward: Dem Senators Have Called WH Asking if Hagel Will Withdraw
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:29:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bob Woodward: Dem Senators Have Called WH Asking if Hagel Will Withdraw
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bob Woodward: Dem Senators Have Called WH Asking if Hagel Will Withdraw  (Read 6025 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
« edited: February 17, 2013, 01:36:38 PM by Torie »

The nomination looks in serious trouble to me.

Not that anyone cares, but I have no opinion on the nomination myself. I don't feel adequately informed to make a judgment. I do give considerable deference to the executive when it come to executive branch nominations, other than the attorney general slot, which I expect to be someone who is not political. Hagel would certainly not be my choice for Defense Secretary, but that is beside the point.

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2013, 01:35:35 PM by bballrox4717 »

I don't think he'll withdraw unless another filibuster happens, which looks unlikely. The votes are there for him pass once he gets past the filibuster.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »

This is the first time I've considered changing my avatar to I-CT.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »

I really think obama is thinking I might have to withdraw this guys nomination.  I don't oppose hagel, but I think his nomination is over, gone.  If his nomination is withdrawn, who do you think obama will nominate in his place.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2013, 01:47:57 PM by Maxwell »

I really think obama is thinking I might have to withdraw this guys nomination.  I don't oppose hagel, but I think his nomination is over, gone.  If his nomination is withdrawn, who do you think obama will nominate in his place.

Probably someone especially "harmless" who couldn't live a day without drones.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »

I really think obama is thinking I might have to withdraw this guys nomination.  I don't oppose hagel, but I think his nomination is over, gone.  If his nomination is withdrawn, who do you think obama will nominate in his place.

I think there are better options than Hagel, but I would be starking mad if he or Hagel withdrew the nomination. This is not a fight they can lose to the Republicans, and would bring up my old opinion that Obama does not have a backbone.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »

Obama would be better served rolling without a Secretary in protest than to give into the will of the crazed minority.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »

I don't that what is going on here is Democratic Senators thinking Hagel will be a bad SoD.  What's going on here is them wanting reassurance that Obama won't leave them high and dry by withdrawing the nomination if the GOP continues to block the nomination past the point they have aid they will.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »

I think there are better options than Hagel, but I would be starking mad if he or Hagel withdrew the nomination. This is not a fight they can lose to the Republicans, and would bring up my old opinion that Obama does not have a backbone.

Obama never had a backbone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

Obama would be better served rolling without a Secretary in protest than to give into the will of the crazed minority.

King, the Dems are calling, although they are crazed as well.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »

Torie's views on current affairs are more delusional and less grounded in reality with each passing day. Probably going senile.

Hagel will get confirmed. Republican senators acknowledge that. The charade the other day was just them whipping their dicks out asserting their presence.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »

This whole episode makes a nice metaphor for the entire Obama presidency. The President, out of courtesy, or Moderate Heroism, or whatever, deliberately goes out of his way to meet the GOP halfway by choosing one of their own. Rather than accepting the gesture, the GOP whips itself into a non sequitor frenzy and stonewalls.  The President retreats. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »

This whole episode makes a nice metaphor for the entire Obama presidency. The President, out of courtesy, or Moderate Heroism, or whatever, deliberately goes out of his way to meet the GOP halfway by choosing one of their own. Rather than accepting the gesture, the GOP whips itself into a non sequitor frenzy and stonewalls.  The President retreats. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

That's rather disingenuous. Obama didn't pick Hagel to appease Republicans. He picked Hagel because he likes him personally and they share similar views on defence and foreign policy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »

That's rather disingenuous. Obama didn't pick Hagel to appease Republicans. He picked Hagel because he likes him personally and they share similar views on defence and foreign policy.

memphis' observations are generally correct, nonetheless.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2013, 05:19:08 PM by memphis »

There are countless qualified likable people who share Obama's views on foreign policy. Almost all are Dems, but he chose Hagel. He was obviously trying to make a point in choosing a Republican.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »

His performance before the joint committee left me wondering if President Obama made a mistake here choosing Hagel over someone less controversial like, say, Michelle Flournoy. 
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »

I'm hoping Hagel is confirmed, and think he is better qualified than other Democrats mentioned, BECAUSE of his independent-mindedness, ESPECIALLY on Israel/Palestine/Iran and being more cautious about war in general.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »

Obama and especially Biden are close to Hagel since their Senate days.  There's no way Obama was clueless enough to do this as a reach out to the GOP, but the administration clearly has been unprepared for the extent of the resistance.  First the WH leaks the pick a month ahead of time, giving the opposition plenty of time to organize. Then, it seems Hagel was told to lie down and not make waves at the confirmation hearing.  The defense of Hagel's nomination has been somewhat understated, though by all accounts Obama is rightfully ticked off by the attacks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »

I doubt the White House anticipated Hagel's poor Senate confirmation hearing performance either.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »

Are Republicans helping their cause here?

Does anyone like Ted Cruz's Joe McCarthy impression?  Does anyone think Obama is pro-Al Qaeda or pro-Iranian regime?  Does anyone look back fondly to the days of John Bolton, Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz?  The only people who answer yes to those questions are already Republican true believers.  This whole line of argument only serves to make Republicans look insane and petty.     

Obama has shamed the GOP by protecting the country without the cost of American lives and treasure and colossal mismanagement of the Bush administration.  So, Republicans have to go out looking for conspiracy theories about Benghazi and Chuck Hagel's scalp.  This isn't about Hagel, this is about Republicans trying to create a fantasy world of their own imagination where they have some semblance of credibility on national security.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

I doubt the White House anticipated Hagel's poor Senate confirmation hearing performance either.
Hagel performed terribly because the administration instructed him to lay low on the antagonistic questions.  When Hagel was given substantive questions, he performed fine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »

Hagel performed terribly because the administration instructed him to lay low on the antagonistic questions.  When Hagel was given substantive questions, he performed fine.

Pretty weak excuse. Be prepared, know everything that you said before, and speak calmly and candidly, and admit when you made mistakes, or have changed your mind, and explain why. It's not hard really. I doubt the White House instructed him to be "unfocused" for example per the article. I admit I did not watch the hearings, so my comments are all derivative.

The Pubs might really privately want Hagel to be Secretary, because they think he will be ineffective, and a punching bag. And that might be privately what the Dems are worried about, some of them. It is an interesting dynamic.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »

Pretty weak excuse. Be prepared, know everything that you said before, and speak calmly and candidly, and admit when you made mistakes, or have changed your mind, and explain why. It's not hard really. I doubt the White House instructed him to be "unfocused" for example per the article. I admit I did not watch the hearings, so my comments are all derivative.

The Pubs might really privately want Hagel to be Secretary, because they think he will be ineffective, and a punching bag. And that might be privately what the Dems are worried about, some of them. It is an interesting dynamic.

Hagel wasn't even that bad at the hearing...the only reason people think so is because Fox News started that talking point and the media - expectedly - parroted it. Hagel's answers were reasonable and yn controversial. It's the Republicans making it controversial and the Democrats - always happy to oblige - who lay down and took it.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:38 PM »

Hagel performed terribly because the administration instructed him to lay low on the antagonistic questions.  When Hagel was given substantive questions, he performed fine.

Hagel wasn't even that bad at the hearing...the only reason people think so is because Fox News started that talking point and the media - expectedly - parroted it. Hagel's answers were reasonable and yn controversial. It's the Republicans making it controversial and the Democrats - always happy to oblige - who lay down and took it.

I watched the hearing live and thought he was pretty bad. Bumbling and unorganized.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »

There are countless qualified likable people who share Obama's views on foreign policy. Almost all are Dems, but he chose Hagel. He was obviously trying to make a point in choosing a Republican.

A Republican Senator, actually.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies