New Canadaland for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:59:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Canadaland for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: New Canadaland for Senate  (Read 2648 times)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »

Consider this the official start of my Senate campaign!

Thank you all for sticking with me through my terms as an Assemblyman. As a result of the experience and allies I gained since my career began, I am ready to move my office and our region to greater heights. I expect the path to the Atlasian Senate to be long, and with the presence of another well established figure in the race, all the more challenging. I already spoke with Lumine, and we have agreed to make this competitive campaign a clean one. When campaign season starts, I will elaborate much more on my platform and campaign plans. Wish me luck! And all are welcome to ask questions.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 01:15:27 AM »

Endorsed!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »

Endorsed!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »

Endorsed! Good luck to you.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 06:57:49 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2015, 06:21:00 PM by Mideast Speaker New Canadaland »

The time has come for me to stake out positions on issues currently being debated federally. I promise to be pro-Labor, but also pragmatic and independently minded. The positions I take here are my own positions, and are true to what I believe will change Atlasia for the better.

Electoral Reform
As some might know, I voted AYE on the Electoral Reform Amendment that narrowly failed to pass in enough regions to become law. To those opposed, let me explain why I voted AYE. Elections in Atlasia need to be competitive. Voters must be able to pull the lever on their politicians. But with At-Large elections, the results of most seats are a foregone conclusion. Generally, two seats are safe Labour. One seat safe TPP. And two for the center-right parties. In contrast, Regional Senate seats are much more swingable, and are truer to what the electoral system should be like. Thus I support the idea of creating districts for Senators to run in instead of At-Large elections. And of course, it gives us an excuse for us Atlasian politicos to celebrate their favorite pastime, drawing and coloring maps. I believe in the goodwill of Atlasian politicians to draw fair districts - and if they can't, I will hold them to it.

Childcare Reform
One of the best ways we can improve Atlasia is by making it easier to raise a family. That's why I support measures to bring down the cost of housing and childcare. I would support the Childcare Reform Act if elected. 5 billion is not a tremendous price to pay.

Rural Poverty
I support giving local rural authorities more discretion by allowing properties who are occupied for less than 100 days a year to be taxed at a different rate. While more discretion is welcome, it is not going to be a solution. The biggest problems rural residents with temporarily occupied properties face is the cost of maintaining, and if necessary, liquidating those properties. In general, it would be ill advised for a low income earner to maintain a second property. So I would support a government initiative that would allow low-income owners of rural properties to sell their property to the state. This helps low-income rural residents maintain social mobility and load off unused properties which have few willing buyers. I don't believe a bus system is the solution - it is so economically inefficient it makes more fiscal sense to simply hand out fuel subsidies.

Affirmative Consent
The Affirmative Consent bill should be passed. The unenforceable aspects of the bill has been excised, so I no longer hold any doubts regarding the bill. Both the preventative measures and the protection of victims are absolutely needed. My greatest hope is for the preventative measures in the bill to be successful at reducing sexual assault rates. Regardless, there must be more work done at the law enforcement level to make sure sexual assault cases receive proper attention in the future.

Environment
I believe the greatest untapped potential for carbon emission reductions is through the use of electric automobiles. Even coal-fired electricity powered cars are cleaner than gasoline cars. As of 2015, there is no difference in the utility of gasoline and electric cars. An electric car is out there to satisfy every type of need currently satisfied by gasoline cars. Yet gasoline cars remain dominant. The inertia needs to be overcome. I will support a measure that would fine car companies for selling or producing less than a certain percentage of non-gasoline powered or hybrid cars. Hydrogen fuel cell cars, while still not widely available, would also qualify. Likewise, car companies who produce more than a certain percentage of non-gasoline powered or hybrid cars would receive a tax credit. The percentages would start out at 15 and 30%, respectively, and should be increased with time. In addition, a portion of the gasoline tax should be allocated to fund electric car recharging stations. I intend for this project to be revenue neutral.

Labor
I am a proud ally of Labor. Unions are what makes the middle class of Atlasia great. But I am not the type of partisan who would implement projects like mandatory union labelling or setting up guillotines, which aim to intimidate those who do not agree with us. Unions in this country are strong enough to fight their battles without government involvement, and I encourage them to do so. I am running for Senator so that I can represent every Atlasian, regardless of their background or belief.

As campaign unfolds I will arrive at the steps of every state, province, and territory in the Mideast. I ask every citizen who wants to see a new face in the Atlasian government to join my rallies. I promise to vigorously fight for an Atlasia where our public servants serve the people first.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »

I thank you all for your endorsements!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »

Endorsed!
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »

The election for the Mideast Assembly and Governorship is upcoming, and I would like to announce my endorsements of Hatman, Harry S Truman, and vivaportugalhabs for the Mideast Assembly.
Voters can ensure a progressive and productive Assembly by ranking these 3 candidates in the top 3 positions of their ballot. I also reiterate my endorsement of the ticket of Windjammer/Franzl for Governor and Lt. Governor. I especially encourage vivaportugalhabs for having the courage to run for the first time, as I had done in 2014. He is the best new potential member to fill my place in the Assembly as I leave office. Good luck to you all.

I also want to thank Assemblymen Shua and JCL, and Governor MadmanMotley for their service to the Mideast government.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »

While I have a great deal of respect for former President Lumine, it's clear that the Senate needs new blood and fresh ideas if Atlasia is to continue to thrive. You've put forward a thoughtful, common-sense agenda, and your tenure in the Assembly shows that you have the skill and the commitment to see it through. Consider yourself endorsed.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »

Not from the Mideast, but consider yourself endorsed!
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »

Today is the day I am officially announcing my departure from the Mideast Assembly and ending my role as speaker.
I am ecstatic to have Windjammer as my governor and Truman, vivaportugalhabs, and Hatman in the Assembly to continue working where I left off.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »

In Kansas City, MO:

I have been made plenty aware of the destruction caused by the recent tornado. I am truly saddened by the destruction that outside forces have brought to this fair city, and my thoughts are with all those who have been hurt or lost, and their families. We are a mourning people today, but also a resolute and determined people. I ask for the Mideast Governor and Assembly to be equally resolute and determined by presenting a swift and effective response to the tragedy. It is concerning that the Mideast Assembly today is becoming paralyzed by partisanship. I would not have condoned this as speaker, and nor would I condone this in the Senate. For the good of all Mideasteners, our leaders must drop this act if they want to demonstrate good leadership.

Thank all those who came out to see me on the eve of this tragic day. May we recover soon.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »

It's election time! Go look at the debate and my previous posts if you want to get an idea of what I stand for. And make sure to vote.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 12:10:37 AM »

Congratulations on the victory, Senator! It was a hard fought race, but a civil and courteous one, and I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming full term on the Senate.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 04:30:57 AM »

Congrats on the victory comrade, it will be good to have you in the Senate Cheesy
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »

So it's become apparent that I won Cheesy
First I'm grateful to every voter for putting their continued faith into Atlasia. I am a new Senator but I will remain committed to serving the people of the Mideast. Having some new faces in the Senate will help revitalize our political system.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »

Congrats on your impressive win. I look forward to seeing your new full term in Nyman.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »

Also, I like your logo.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »