Official Office of Siren: Closing Shop
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:22:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Official Office of Siren: Closing Shop
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Official Office of Siren: Closing Shop  (Read 7080 times)
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »

I'm so proud of you Siren! I know you'll be a great assemblywoman!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »

Well done, Siren!! Cheesy
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »

Congratulations on winning a seat in the Assembly. Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »

Congratulations, Siren!
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »

Congratulations!
GAworth
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »

Congrats looks like the two of us made it, shout out to Poli Sci IR majors!!!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »

Thanks for the outpouring of support everyone.  You're all awesome.  Smiley

Can't wait to swear in at the end of the week.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

Now that everyone is sworn in for the new session, I'm excited to get started and we already have a lot of important issues on the table.  Like I promised when I first ran for office, I'm going to try my best to keep this office as updated as possible and to encourage everyone to get involved.

The first bill that I'm going to propose to the assembly is to help encourage and promote the great cultural and language diversity we have in the Mideast.  Here is my draft text of the bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I did some research about the language diversity in the Mideast, and I must say I was pretty surprised by how diverse we really are.  These stats are compiled from the 2010 census and American Community Survey.  The first number is the % of people that speak more than one language at home.  In the parentheses, I listed the three most common languages for each state in the Mideast:

Percent of Population that speaks a Language other than English at Home (Over 5 years old)

Illinois: 22.7%        (Spanish, Polish, Tagalog)
Maryland: 16.7%    (Spanish, French, Chinese)
DC: 15%                 (Spanish, French, Amharic)
Virginia: 14.9%       (Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese)
Michigan: 9.1%       (Spanish, Arabic, German)
Wisconsin: 8.7%     (Spanish, Hmong, German)
Indiana: 8.2%         (Spanish, German, Chinese)
Ohio: 6.7%              (Spanish, German, Chinese)
Missouri: 6.4%         (Spanish, German, French)
Kentucky: 4.8%        (Spanish, German, French)
West Virginia: 2.3%  (Spanish, French, German)

As you can see, we all share English in common, but the Mideast has a pretty rich set of languages spoken in each state.  I think we should encourage that diversity by making sure schools teach languages and have the resources to do so.  Most importantly, it will give students the skills they need to compete in an increasingly multicultural and interconnected world.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Have a great day and remember to take some fruit punch on your way out.  Smiley

Your friendly Mideast Assemblywoman,
~Siren

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »

As I have already told you I think this is a sensible bill. We can still debate whether the obligatory language must be Spanish but that doesn't change the fundamentals of the bill. Smiley
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »

This is one thing in education that I'm more than willing to support you on.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2013, 01:18:32 PM by Siren »

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of my next bill to introduce to the Assembly, and it occurred to me that we don't seem to have any regionally funded museums.  So I thought what better way to celebrate our great Mideastern art and science culture than to construct centrally located museums Mideasterners and tourists alike can go enjoy and learn about local, national, and global art and science.  Here is the draft of my idea so far:

Mideast Regional Museums Act

1) $150 million in funding shall be allocated to contract an architect and construction team to build a Mideast Regional Art Museum and a Mideast Regional Museum of Natural History, as well as to procure and maintain initial exhibits for each museum.

2) The Mideast Regional Art Museum shall be constructed in Cleveland, Ohio.

3) The Mideast Regional Museum of Natural History shall be constructed in Indianapolis, Indiana.

4) Each regionally funded museum in the Mideast must contain at least one exhibit focusing on local art, science, or history.

I think it might be fun also to name each museum after an important figure in Mideast history, so if anyone has any suggestions for names, feel free to chime in.

Also, please note the funding number is tentative and open to change after debates and/or cost analysis.

As always, suggestions and feedback is always welcome.  Smiley

Your friendly Mideast Assemblywoman,
~Siren
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »

Hi Mideasterners,

During the last assembly election, there was a little bit of disagreement over the starting and ending times for our Mideast elections.  I think it's an important issue, and I'd like to be able to please everyone if possible.  So, I'm planning to introduce an amendment in the assembly.

Before that, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on the best time periods.  Under the current law for gubernatorial and assembly elections, the Voting Booth Administrator may open the voting booth anytime between 0001 EST Thursday and 0001 EST Friday - then the booth closes exactly 72 hours later.  Of course since we have players from all over the world, we can run into time zone issues when different governors choose different opening times.

Personally, I think the best possible opening and closing time is between 15:00 and 18:00 EST on Thursday.  That way, the opening and closing time for our friends in Western Europe would still be at a reasonable time of the night.  At the same time, even citizens living in Hawaii would have a chance to wake up Sunday morning and cast a ballot.

Another option - for the sake of simplicity - would be to harmonize the booth opening times with Federal times... basically 12:01 EST Friday to 12:01 EST Monday.  Personally, I think that time period would be too much of a burden for Europeans because it would mean getting up pretty early in the morning.

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks though, so feel free to chime in with what you think.  Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »

Hi Mideasterners,

During the last assembly election, there was a little bit of disagreement over the starting and ending times for our Mideast elections.  I think it's an important issue, and I'd like to be able to please everyone if possible.  So, I'm planning to introduce an amendment in the assembly.

Before that, I'd like to get everyone's opinion on the best time periods.  Under the current law for gubernatorial and assembly elections, the Voting Booth Administrator may open the voting booth anytime between 0001 EST Thursday and 0001 EST Friday - then the booth closes exactly 72 hours later.  Of course since we have players from all over the world, we can run into time zone issues when different governors choose different opening times.

Personally, I think the best possible opening and closing time is between 15:00 and 18:00 EST on Thursday.  That way, the opening and closing time for our friends in Western Europe would still be at a reasonable time of the night.  At the same time, even citizens living in Hawaii would have a chance to wake up Sunday morning and cast a ballot.

Another option - for the sake of simplicity - would be to harmonize the booth opening times with Federal times... basically 12:01 EST Friday to 12:01 EST Monday.  Personally, I think that time period would be too much of a burden for Europeans because it would mean getting up pretty early in the morning.

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks though, so feel free to chime in with what you think.  Smiley

I would strongly support this and think that it would also be very beneficial if implemented in all regions.  I've never been a fan of the booth opening at random times.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2013, 04:40:53 PM by Siren »

Hi Mideasterners,

With everything that's been going on, I just decided to offer "The End to Absurd Loopholes Amendment" to the Mideast Assembly.  If it passes and is ratified, hopefully we'll never have to live in fear of our referenda petitions being ignored again.  Here's the language:

The End to Absurd Loopholes Amendment

Article III, Section 2, Clause 6 of the Mideast Constitution shall be amended to read:

Should the Assembly pass and the Governor sign legislation and a group of 4 or more citizens publicly protest the measure any law in either the Mideast Assembly or a separate thread, a public referendum shall be held on that legislation. All public referendums shall come to a full vote of the citizens of the Mideast in a special Voting Booth to be administered in accordance with Article IV of this Constitution. Voting shall begin between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the third Thursday of the month and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 48 hours after beginning.

As always, your feedback and comments are welcome.  Smiley

~Siren

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »

Hi Mideasterners,

With the Comprehensive Sex Education Bill of 2013 most likely passing the Senate, I've written up a bill for our region to take advantage of those funds!  I think it's very important that our students are educated on these issues in a technical way.  I also believe that it's the best way to reduce unwanted pregnancies and any issues that go along with that.  As always, comments and feedback are welcome.  Smiley

Mideast Comprehensive Sex Education Bill of 2013

Recognizing that the best way to reduce sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancies is to provide comprehensive and progressive sex education as part of curricula:

1. $15 million will be requested from the Federal Department of Internal Affairs and made available to public schools to support the development and production of sex education programs across the Mideast region.

2. Programs using this funding must address the following areas in a comprehensive, technical, and impartial fashion:

a) Contraception use and availability for both men and women.
     1) Programs must provide a summary of all available contraceptives for both men and women, including advantages and disadvantages of each, how to use them, and where they can be obtained.
     2) Recognizing that men and women have different contraceptive needs, public schools must make options available to each gender in school nurse offices and health centers.
     3) Programs must explain the risks associated with being sexually active in an impartial manner, including sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy.

b) Sexuality and gender identity
    1) Programs should explain sexuality and gender identity as a natural phenomena, encourage students to be sensitive to the feelings of one another, and discourage bullying of any kind.
    2) Impartial counselors should be made available for students to discuss their feelings about sexuality and gender identity issues.
    3) School employees are expressly forbidden to attempt to alter the gender identity of any student.

3. This program must be endorsed by the Federal Department of Internal Affairs,  prior to commencement and will be reviewed annually to ensure best information is transmitted.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »

Hi Mideasterners,

I'm going to be introducing another bill in the Assembly to protect rights for LGBT people.  If passed, this bill will outlaw the practice of "ex-gay conversion therapy" throughout the Mideast region.  This is a terrible thing that people have come up with to shame and humiliate LGBT people into believing they are bad people that need to be rehabilitated, and it should not be allowed in our region, IMO.

For anyone that's worried about free speech, this bill doesn't stop any private citizens from speaking their mind.  Ex-gay conversion therapy is a "medical" procedure.  Therefore, it can and should be heavily regulated to protect citizens from it's adverse effects.  Gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transsexuals should be loved for who they are not hated, shamed, and toyed with by medical professionals.

Here's the text of the bill.  As always, comments and feedback are welcome.  Smiley

Right to Love Act

The Mideast Assembly condemns the practice of ex-gay conversion therapy as a reprehensible and fraudulent scientific procedure that causes more harm than good.  Therefore:

1. The practice of ex-gay conversion therapy is hereby banned throughout the Mideast Region.

2. Any licensed medical professional caught practicing ex-gay conversion therapy shall have their medical license revoked and subjected to a fine of up to $50,000.

3. Any citizen attempting to impersonate a licensed medical professional in order to perform ex-gay conversion therapy shall be subjected to a fine of up to $100,000 and/or up to one year in prison.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »

What about those who want to seek such kind of therapy voluntary? Regulated yes. This is an outright ban and as such must oppose.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »

Endorsed! Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »

Endorsed.  You've taken a stand against overreaching legislation and for strong progressive social values.  I hope to see you continue your service. Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »

Endorsed.  You've taken a stand against overreaching legislation and for strong progressive social values.  I hope to see you continue your service. Smiley
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »

Fwiw, you have at this time a standing endorsement from me, certainly for whatever your Mideast goals evolve to be. I think you're making an effort to stand up to what I consider oppression and you are making every effort to affect the region positively. Best of luck!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »

Thanks for the endorsements Tmth, Scott, and Mr. X!  I really appreciate your support.  Smiley

@Assemblyman JCL:  If someone wants to make that kind of change in their life, there's ways they can do that without being subjected to discrimination under the guise of medical treatment.  "Ex-gay" conversion therapy has been shown to cause self-loathing, depression, anxiety and sometimes leads to suicide.  It's basically no different than bullying, but it's even worse because the bullying is trying to make itself sound scientific and legitimate.

Do you have proof of this that can be seriously substantiated? Shouldn't all options be on the table?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

World Health Organization:  http://www.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6803&Itemid=1926

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »

Wouldn't it be better if the government reach out to the faith community for help on this issue.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »

Wouldn't it be better if the government reach out to the faith community for help on this issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by that JCL.

The penalties in my bill only apply to medical professionals or people claiming to be one though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies