Why do you vote against Labor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Why do you vote against Labor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why do you vote against Labor?  (Read 2462 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 02:56:26 AM »

I don't dislike Labor. The Labor Party obviously represents political stances that are very different from those I hold, but I like the party for its ideological consistency.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 03:05:58 AM »

I haven't seen the Left this weak since the last weeks prior to dissolution.

We have seven left-wing Senators; every single TPP-er in the Senate (and every TPP-er who has ever been elected to the Senate) was once a member of the Liberal Party. Hell, Ben was once a member of Labor.

If I were actually ranking the Senate from left to right, I'd place Ben, Franzl, and possibly X and Oakvale to your left.

TPP is a centrist party, according to the wiki, and I would only consider the two more recent additions, Franzl and Mr. X to be on the Left, but that's just how I see it. Ben and Oakvale not a chance they are to the left of me.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 04:07:50 AM »

Are we seriously arguing over a meaningless setting on a washing machine dial? Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »

This seems like a good time to pull out my crudely-assembled chart:

Looking at this chart I see seven Senators who are undeniably on the left of the political spectrum. To claim that the five TPP Senators are somehow centrists or rightists is absurd if you look at their voting and legislative record and their political philosophy. The mere fact they aren't part of the Liberal Party or the Labor Party doesn't make these guys conservative ...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

This seems like a good time to pull out my crudely-assembled chart:

Looking at this chart I see seven Senators who are undeniably on the left of the political spectrum. To claim that the five TPP Senators are somehow centrists or rightists is absurd if you look at their voting and legislative record and their political philosophy. The mere fact they aren't part of the Liberal Party or the Labor Party doesn't make these guys conservative ...

I think of my self as being part of the Atlasian center-left, but part of that is because its within the context of Atlasian politics.  That said, my governing style is rooted in principled pragmatism and a belief that real compromises often produce better results than hyper-partisanship and/or strict ideological rigidity.  But I'd still never call myself an ideological centrist and in the context of American politics I'm definitely a liberal.  I think that when considering the left-right ideological spectrum, it is equally important to take into account an individual's governing style.  If two people have identical issue positions, but one is far more rigid and generally unwilling to compromise, he/she will often be perceived as more extreme than the other person even if ideology alone wouldn't suggest that this was the case.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »

I, for one, would not be placing Lib and TPP thus on the political spectrum. Whereas the Liberal Party is a real and full-scaled party of the centre-left in real life, it is at the centre of Atlasia poltics, and TPP is an odd-like party with many different believing officials. To be honest there was a short time when I contemplated entering TPP and getting most of Labour to join me, because I believed TPP was to be the main left-wing party there was... Granted, it's not what it came out to be, but I cannot get around the fact that broadly speaking I feel closer to TPP than Liberal in matters of policy.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

I believe Mr. X is to the left of Napoleon. Others in TPP might be as well, but I haven't been around long enough when oakvale used to make political posts, and I am unsure about Franzl. I also think that Ben is definitely a part of the right. Just my humble two cents.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »

This is gonna be a great Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 06:49:21 AM »

They are always great. Evil

Until I break someone and they need to be a replaced. They just don't make Senators the way the use to. All this cheap plastic and stuff means they are so fragile these days. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »

I think the biggest mistake the Federalists often make is to automatically assume Laborites are evil. I really do. I haven't been here for too long, but in my experience, there are valuable contributors in every party. The anchor parties at either end of the spectrum need to buck up and realize that sometimes it's okay to elect a hardworking Federalist or a hardworking—erm—comrade. I don't want official cooperation or anything, but I just think it's a shame to keep handing victories to the people who claim to be in the centre when there are some fantastic candidates down at the wings. Especially when the ideological distinctions between a Federalist and a Liberal or a Laborite and a Liberal are blurred.

Just my two cents. I'll offer important preferences to whoever earns them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies