Montana Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:00:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Montana Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Montana Question  (Read 522 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:07 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2013, 11:49:53 PM by cope1989 »

Looking at presidential maps of Montana, it's pretty common to see an extremely Democratic county right next to an extremely Republican county, both with similar population and demographics. This seems to set Montana apart from other states which typically have regional political leanings (like Coastal Oregon and Washington vs Inland). So my question is what factors polarize the electorate in Montana if it's not really a regional or a racial divide?

EDIT: Or am I missing something and it's just the heavily Native American counties that are heavily Democratic?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »

Looking at presidential maps of Montana, it's pretty common to see an extremely Democratic county right next to an extremely Republican county, both with similar population and demographics. This seems to set Montana apart from other states which typically have regional political leanings (like Coastal Oregon and Washington vs Inland). So my question is what factors polarize the electorate in Montana if it's not really a regional or a racial divide?

EDIT: Or am I missing something and it's just the heavily Native American counties that are heavily Democratic?

Missoula has the university, Butte and Deer Lodge had a giant copper mine that left the memory of union jobs and massive environmental devastation in its wake.

That should pretty much cover it, actually.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »

Glacier, Roosevelt, Big Horn and Blaine counties are at least 45% Native American.

The only county that leaves a bit to explain is Hill county (Havre). However, 17% Native American and 13.5% Norwegian ancestry already provide for a good stock of potentially Democrat-leaning population, and Hill 'only' voted 50% Obama in 2012
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies