Have you read The Bible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Have you read The Bible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, the entire Bible (Theist)

No (Theist)

Only parts of it (Theist)

Yes, the entire Bible (Atheist/agnostic)

No (Atheist/agnostic)

Only parts of it (Atheist/agnostic)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Have you read The Bible?  (Read 3965 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »

Option one for me.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »

Yes, it assisted me on my journey away from faith.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »

Yes, the entire Bible and more than once.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »

No. I have better things to waste my time on.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2013, 04:29:02 PM by King »

More of it than I should have.

It's probably the least profound religious text on the planet.  I can see why the Catholic Church chose to keep it hidden for so long.  Their supplements to it are far more interesting.  Psalms and Proverbs* almost get clever at points and the story of Job is interesting, but the New Testament is a huge bore and the Jesus stuff is pretty light on the details.

*It's also interesting that the Book of Proverbs is even in the Bible, as it implicitly stated throughout it as not the word of God,or inspired by God, but the sayings of wise Jews of the day.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »

#6 - I probably have read over the years about 2/3 of the total of it I'll guess.

It's simply an array of ancient literature / mythology edited and spliced together quite sloppily, evidenced by the fact that it opens in Genesis 1 and 2 with very, very different creation stories.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

I'd like to undertake a Bible study led by non-Christians (or at least, in which my peers would not all be Christians), if such a thing exists.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »

I'd like to undertake a Bible study led by non-Christians (or at least, in which my peers would not all be Christians), if such a thing exists.

Yeah, I wonder if that's possible. I've been to Baptist Bible studies and they're just impossibly insular. Once they reached the appropriate conclusion on something, everyone smiled and moved right along in perfect harmony.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »

I haven't read all of it, the Old Testament in particular. I've tried a few times and have slowly made some progress. If I live long enough I might finish before I die.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »

Yeah, I wonder if that's possible. I've been to Baptist Bible studies and they're just impossibly insular. Once they reached the appropriate conclusion on something, everyone smiled and moved right along in perfect harmony.

NYC has everything so if it doesn't exist 30 miles to my West, it probably doesn't exist.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »

The Bible really doesn't take that long to read if you read a little each day.  I was able to finish it in less than ten months when I was a freshman in high school.  You can find reading plans online which are helpful, too.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »

Reading plans are certainly helpful. Alternatively, you can simply read one chapter (or more, if the chapters are very short) a day. The first nine chapters of the Books of Chronicles, for example, may be a bit tedious, but you will be rewarded with an interesting insight into the early Jewish kings once you have finished that. Wink
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »

For secular Bible Study, I might recommend Unitarian Universalism, for one. I know several atheists who have invited me to it - to church, and I said, why? What's the point. Apparently, there's some serious investigation from a secular standpoint (including almost every perspective imaginable), which I would enjoy, but as yet I've not bothered since I actually like to not do anything on Sunday morning. Smiley But also, in a more academic sense, since it seems that there are a lot of students on here, religious studies often examines the Bible from a secular standpoint. But for secular Bible study, I'd say check out the first.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »

Same here, and theist.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

No, but I watch joel olstein and he repackage the bible in more in lines of hope than sin.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »

No, but I watch joel olstein and he repackage the bible in more in lines of hope than sin.

The main problem I have with Joel and Victoria Osteen as well as the likes of Joyce Meyer is they sugar coat things way too often.

Anyway, I read the entire Bible in a year - year after year for the past 10-12 years.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »

I've personally found Joel Osteen's messages refreshing because they're intended to motivate.  I know he's criticized a lot by more conservative Christians for not talking about gays/abortion enough.  However, I honestly don't have much positive to say about his style of wearing thousand dollar suits and speaking at a big megachurch every week...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »

I've personally found Joel Osteen's messages refreshing because they're intended to motivate.  I know he's criticized a lot by more conservative Christians for not talking about gays/abortion enough.  However, I honestly don't have much positive to say about his style of wearing thousand dollar suits and speaking at a big megachurch every week...

My biggest concern is that he sometimes seems like he is preaching the prosperity gospel. The suits would fit in with that.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:01 AM »

I've read most of it, as both a young believer and long since as a non-believer. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

I think the man is horrible; bigotry with a suit and teeth veneers. (I have a feeling I’ve mentioned this to you before somewhere..) He motivates people to be intolerant of those who are LGBT by condemning them as sinners and their love as sin, just like the very type of pastor he claims he’s not like. What makes it far worse is that he chooses to not talk about it specifically so he can be seen to be separate from more conservative evangelicals. If he believes it, he’s deliberately coy about admitting it. If he doesn’t believe it then he harms people by not speaking out in support of it and instead being silent. He might be ‘refreshing’ or inspiring but I could never, in my heart and in my gut find fall for anyone who was charismatic and invigorating if they were all these things but were a racist, or a sexist, or a homophobe. Some flaws are so wide that they are unbridgeable even if you like all the rest.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 03:54:59 PM by King »

I'm very pro Osteen.  We need more evangelical ministers who "sugar coat things" instead of focusing on the heretical non-Gospel teachings of Revelation.

Hopefully his ministry will turn the young evangelicals watching TV on Sunday into people of stronger character than their Falwell and Robertson polluted parents.

Rome wasn't built in a day, afleitch.  If Osteen is what the Christian right looks like from now on, we'll be better off.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

Not cover to cover, no.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

I have more or less read the entire Bible by now, but never straight through.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies