Opinion of Thomas Sowell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Thomas Sowell
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: FF or HP?
FF

HP

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of Thomas Sowell  (Read 1505 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

FF.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

FF
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »

Massive FF.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »

FF.  his books and longer essays tend to be much better than his columns.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »

lol
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:30 PM »

Ultra FF.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »

Putting it mildly. Smiley
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »

I've always found it cute when contrarian black conservatives rail against affirmative action even though they likely wouldn't be where they are today were it not for affirmative action. Sowell would likely never have made it to Harvard as an archconservative white guy.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »

I've always found it cute when contrarian black conservatives rail against affirmative action even though they likely wouldn't be where they are today were it not for affirmative action. Sowell would likely never have made it to Harvard as an archconservative white guy.

Or perhaps were it not for affirmative action, liberals such as yourself could not make condescending remarks regarding the achievements of blacks, knowing that their accomplishments came by virtue of their merit rather than their skin color?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

Or perhaps were it not for affirmative action, liberals such as yourself could not make condescending remarks regarding the achievements of blacks, knowing that their accomplishments came by virtue of their merit rather than their skin color?

I don't see very much merit in this guy's career.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Guy went to Harvard and Princeton and, like it or not, is an archconservative. I mean, that's a really boneheaded thing to say.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »

Not that I necessarily agree with independentTX, but Hispanics like Ted Cruz get affirmative action too.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »

Not that I necessarily agree with independentTX, but Hispanics like Ted Cruz get affirmative action too.

I overlooked that, but my main point is that, while you may not agree with Cruz or Sowell, they are both incredibly qualified and intelligent people who, of course, would've gotten by to Harvard or Princeton by their own merits and to say otherwise is ridiculous.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »

I think people here are missing the impact of tokenism (which makes racist right-wing whites feel better about their views).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »

I think people here are missing the impact of tokenism (which makes racist right-wing whites feel better about their views).

Oh I will tell you, it does. Seeing even one African American hold my racist views makes it feel so much better.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Guy went to Harvard and Princeton and, like it or not, is an archconservative. I mean, that's a really boneheaded thing to say.

But I thought Cruz was Hispanic? Isn't that part of y'all's plan? To win the hearts and minds of the descendants of Mexican and Central American mestizo immigrants by running light-skinned Cubans of well-off European lineage?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »

because of ideological discrimination?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »

because of ideological discrimination?

YES! I want spots reserved for conservative white guys damn it!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

Are you kidding me?

But I thought Cruz was Hispanic? Isn't that part of y'all's plan? To win the hearts and minds of the descendants of Mexican and Central American mestizo immigrants by running light-skinned Cubans of well-off European lineage?

Irregardless of how much non-white Cruz is, the idea that an arch-conservative, even one that is lily white, could not get into Harvard is kind of ridic.  After all, institutions such as Harvard (at least as far as I'm aware of) don't tend to discriminate on ideological ground.

Secondly, I've noticed your presence on this forum and the valuable and humble insights your obviously superior background and upbringin have brought forth.  It is with great pleasure, good sir, that I recommend that you enjoy a nice death in this fire:

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »

Are you kidding me?

Irregardless of how much non-white Cruz is, the idea that an arch-conservative, even one that is lily white, could not get into Harvard is kind of ridic.  After all, institutions such as Harvard (at least as far as I'm aware of) don't tend to discriminate on ideological ground.

Secondly, I've noticed your presence on this forum and the valuable and humble insights your obviously superior background and upbringin have brought forth.  It is with great pleasure, good sir, that I recommend that you enjoy a nice death in this fire:

His strawman arguments about Republicans using "white skinned" Cubans likely caught fire, causing that blaze Tongue

I guess Cubans, who voted Republican in every election up until 2012, are not real Hispanics. Thanks for telling us what a real Hispanic is, indieTX...

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »

I guess Cubans, who voted Republican in every election up until 2012, are not real Hispanics. Thanks for telling us what a real Hispanic is, indieTX...

I never said they aren't "real" Hispanics. But you're crazy if you think they're a typical example of American Hispanics.

The Republicans' Hispanic problem isn't with Cuban-Americans. It's with Hispanic immigrants from Mexico and Central America, and their descendants. And the fact is that Ted Cruz has zippo in common with most of them. Ted Cruz looks like and has the political views of the coffee plantation owner who their grandparents worked for back in Guatemala.

Making Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio your solution to appealing to Hispanics makes about as much sense as using someone like John E. Sununu or Mitch Daniels to make up your party's deficit among recent Middle Eastern immigrants. An Anglicized Lebanese-American Christian whose family came to America in the early 20th century doesn't have any connection with someone whose family came here from Iraq after the Gulf War other than the ability to describe themselves as "Arab American" on the census.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »

Guys, when I first saw Cruz's picture on this thread, I thought it was Niall Ferguson, who is currently a Professor at Harvard (he was at Princeton before) over the years has transformed into a right-wing ideologue almost on par with Sowell:

Ferguson is particuarly annoying because he's one of the most over-the-top pushers of the American Decline Narrative, and his proposed solution is basically implementation of the Ryan Budget.

Okay, so maybe Cruz doesn't look that much like Ferguson, but I'd only ever seen one picture of Ferguson years ago, so that was the source of my confusion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies