McCain: Hagel is "not qualified" to be defense secretary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:07:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McCain: Hagel is "not qualified" to be defense secretary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: McCain: Hagel is "not qualified" to be defense secretary  (Read 1659 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »

The problem with McCain is that his issues seem personal. This whole thing seems more to do with a grudge than anything.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »

I have to wonder how much of McCain's strong opposition to Hagel can be attributed to a commissioned officer (from an established family of military officers) not wanting to see an enlisted man taking charge of the United States military. (To the best of my knowledge, if he's confirmed, Hagel will be the first enlisted SecDef ever.)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »

Take a step back and look at what McCain is saying...

From McCain's POV- which I partially agree with, partially not- Hagel opposed the surge which was by all accounts a brilliant and successful strategy... and didn't have the ability to give McCain a straight answer whether he stood by that view or not at the hearings
So McCain sees some one who was wrong on one of the major military issues of the past several years and unwilling to either stand by it or rebuke his prior view

Also- Hagel has never run a bureaucracy, has no experience as a leader in DOD or any other of our national security agencies or departments, and has been out of government for some time now....In some ways, the Hagel pick is like when Bush nominated Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court... perhaps a fine woman, who held views in agreement with many Americans', but hadn't been a judge...

You all should stop trying to smear McCain with attacks on his dignity whenever he says something you don't agree with!

On whether the surge was a good idea or not - it's been a few years since it happened.  Whether or not it was a good decision won't be revealed for a long time when historians can fully evaluate all of the Iraq War.  And it's hard to say whether or not something that never happened would still be a good idea.

Hagel was President and CEO of the USO; he was COO of the 1990 G7 summit; he was a deputy administrator in the VA; and he's served in some type of governing capacity for numerous companies... he has quite a bit of executive experience, including bureaucratic when he was in the VA.
Please excuse me... I meant specifically a bureaucracy within the national security realm (DoD, CIA, etc...) and didn't mean to ignore his admirable service as #2 of the VA, head of the USO, and other roles
I'd argue that those roles qualify him more to lead the VA then SECDEF but they are good qualifications nevertheless....

My point isn't to argue his qualifications but to argue those who accuse McCain of being absurd in his posiition when it is in fact a legitimate one
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies