IL-02 special election thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-02 special election thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: IL-02 special election thread  (Read 8875 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »

Has a date been announced for the special election and if so, may I ask Adam how I may get a copy of the 2012 Congressional Elections (I bought the Presidential Vote Tally from 1789 after the last elections in 2008)?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »

Gun control positions were a proxy for race here, of course. There are a few things that scream "exurban politician completely insensitive to the needs of this inner-city-rooted, Black-majority constituency which she doesn't belong in" (which, let's face it, is the 100%, bonafide, unadulterated truth about Halvorson) even more loudly than a very pro-gun stance, but none that would have stuck in this case. Black politicians putting "Vote for someone who looks like you" bluntly tends to backfire, with Black and White voters alike; it appears Kelly is smart enough to have noticed.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »

I absolutely support Halvorson and oppose the lies being spread by New York bankster Bloomberg. She can't control what rating she gets from the NRA, and does support universal background checks (the ad claims otherwise). Halvorson is the best option for IL-2's families.

It is a shame what happened to Halvorson, and Bloomberg is as corrupt and nefarious as Rove and the Koch Bros, yet Dems cover for him because he is "on there side" (typical spinelessness).

Never mind all the reverse race baiting that went on.. race was a real shame, typical Chicago politics.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »

I'm no lefty, but I dunno how any Democrat could vote for Halverson. Pandering to Fox News and the NRA.

Spite. Kelly only won on Super PAC funds.

Normally I'd feel the same, but in this case I'll make an exception. The NRA is usually such an omnipotent juggernaut that can roll over even the most hallowed of American interests, including first responders, teachers, doctors, the chamber of commerce, and families of schoolchildren. Even a Super PAC is an underdog when going up against it.

The NRA didn't fund this race (indeed, if they had it would have backfired). And Halvorson correctly pointed out that this race is about more than gun control, but Kelly wanted to make it a single-issue campaign and Bloomy made it so.

Chicago has a ton of issues, from corruption to poverty, to jobs, to education.. and all Kelly did was harp on the gun issue, because puppet master Bloomberg said so, this isn't a good sign, she is already bought off
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »

The issue was, they pretty much all agreed on the major issues. Halvorsen has a RECORD of speaking out on conceal and carry and spruiking her A rating from the NRA. That's the thing about records, they tend to stick to you.

Gun violence is especially an issue in that part of Chicago, so it became the dividing line. Halvorsen coming out for Universal background checks doesn't really address the issues of conceal and carry nor talking about her A rating as a badge of honour.

It's her record and if Bloomberg et al didn't have anything to use against her... then... yeah.

Plus, this is a special election in an off-year... you aren't going to get normal GE voters out for that. You get the passionate ones...
Benj

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »

I'm no lefty, but I dunno how any Democrat could vote for Halverson. Pandering to Fox News and the NRA.

Normally I'd feel the same, but in this case I'll make an exception. The NRA is usually such an omnipotent juggernaut that can roll over even the most hallowed of American interests, including first responders, teachers, doctors, the chamber of commerce, and families of schoolchildren. Even a Super PAC is an underdog when going up against it.

The NRA didn't fund this race (indeed, if they had it would have backfired). And Halvorson correctly pointed out that this race is about more than gun control, but Kelly wanted to make it a single-issue campaign and Bloomy made it so.

Chicago has a ton of issues, from corruption to poverty, to jobs, to education.. and all Kelly did was harp on the gun issue, because puppet master Bloomberg said so, this isn't a good sign, she is already bought off

No, Kelly "harped" on it because it was a clear line distinguishing her from Halvorson, and Halvorson's views were deeply unpopular in the district. Other issues had few differences between the candidates--of course neither candidate was going to spend much time talking about them. Halvorson didn't make any effort to talk about anything else, either.

Frankly, Halvorson did this to herself. She was hardly entitled to this seat, as you and Snowstalker somehow seem to believe.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 10:00:19 AM »

The Illinois State Rifle Association is the local affiliate of the NRA. They urged their members to vote Halvorson through direct mail.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

The issue was, they pretty much all agreed on the major issues. Halvorsen has a RECORD of speaking out on conceal and carry and spruiking her A rating from the NRA. That's the thing about records, they tend to stick to you.

Gun violence is especially an issue in that part of Chicago, so it became the dividing line. Halvorsen coming out for Universal background checks doesn't really address the issues of conceal and carry nor talking about her A rating as a badge of honour.

It's her record and if Bloomberg et al didn't have anything to use against her... then... yeah.

Plus, this is a special election in an off-year... you aren't going to get normal GE voters out for that. You get the passionate ones...

In what way does a member of Congress get to affect concealed carry laws?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

In what way does a member of Congress get to affect concealed carry laws?

They determine concealed carry rules on federal property, such as Amtrak, national parks, and the like.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »

I'm glad Kelly won and in an ultra-safe district, we can afford a litmus test, though I think it's a stretch to call Halvorson a conservative--aside from the NRA, she was fine, at least in a swing or lean Dem seat.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »

For all you numbers junkies:
5 numbers --first is Chicago, 2nd is Suburban Cook, 3rd is Will, 4th is Kankakee, and 5th is total vote

Dem
Robin Kelly               9,900     18,430    1,214      1,255     30,799
Clifford J. Eagleton        38           132         19            15          204
Toi W. Hutchinson       273           877           -           362       1,512  (No total given for Will)
Anthony A. Beale     3,470        2,634       139         151       6,394
Mel Reynolds               176           239          15           24          454
Victor Jonathan             10              65           0            16             91
Gregory Haynes            34              95           5              8           142
Charles Rayburn           21              47            0             6              74
John Blyth                      16             74            4            10          104
Earnest B. Fenton       376         1,093         36           32        1,537
Anthony W. Williams   164            361         96           24           645
Fatimah Muhammed      89            111           4             6            210
Larry D. Pickens            60              60           2            14           136
Debbie Halvorsen     1,602        6,113    2,911      3,999    14,625
O. Patrick Brutus           16              35           0             4              55
Joyce Washington        987        1,403         74            98       2,562
Write-In                           -                  -            1             5               6

GOP front runner Paul McKinley is  already a convicted felon and given the history of people who have held this seat, he has a leg up on the competition.

Ill_Ind

Wow. Kelly won with the suburban Cook protion of the seat alone. Earned an outright majority of the vote in a 1000 candidate primary, and beat Halvorson by over 2-1.

With numbers THAT impressive, I doubt we can blame a single superpac donation in making the difference (or even close).

Good to see that scuzbag Mel Reynolds was utterly humiliated, even compared to the other fringe candidates. Smiley
Alien
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »

Has a date been announced for the special election and if so, may I ask Adam how I may get a copy of the 2012 Congressional Elections (I bought the Presidential Vote Tally from 1789 after the last elections in 2008)?

It will be on April 9th.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies