Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith  (Read 4935 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: March 01, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »

But it is notable that the Protestant numbers have NOT decreased, despite the large movement toward "None".

As a Democrat, I'm not sure you should be celebrating this. Bush did quite good among Hispanic Protestants, iirc. And yes, a quick google search shows 54% in 2004. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »

But it is notable that the Protestant numbers have NOT decreased, despite the large movement toward "None".

As a Democrat, I'm not sure you should be celebrating this. Bush did quite good among Hispanic Protestants, iirc. And yes, a quick google search shows 54% in 2004. 

The article mentioned that youngs tend to be quite more liberal on social issues (unsurprisingly.)

I'd be surprised if anyone (of any race) switches party when converting from Catholic to Protestant, or vice-versa. If someone converts to a rather socially conservative church, they were conservative pre-conversion too.

Young people tend to more liberal in general across all populations.

Now some convert for matters of aesthetics, style or outreach and not necessarily any social issue. Once you are in that milieu the social fundamentalism and then GOP patterns can seep in. Then you have the generational trickle down of that.  This is borne out by statistics.  Its a self reinforcing thing really.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

If someone's going to ignore the Catholic hierarchy on social issues, there's no reason they can't ignore an evangelical church's positions on those too once converting. Kind of the point I made here:

And I fail to see why belonging to an evangelical church and supporting gay marriage is more hypocritical than supporting gay marriage and belonging to a Catholic church, even if it's assumed all evangelical churches are anti-gay.

In America at least, Protestants tend to take their faith more seriously and are more active and activist about it. They go to church more, are more conservative and vote more GOP. Dealing with such large and varied groups it is only useful to speak in the broad sense because you will have exceptions everywhere.  The numbers remain that Hispanic protestants are more GOP than Catholics. This has a generational effect too as the next generations are brought up in this more conservative milieu. 

I am not sure the point on the second post. Out of context, I don't see the hypocrisy.

From my personal view, I would be better for the Church to have marriage be a sacrament and as defined by it as man and wife etc...  Let govt's decide the laws of the land and stay out of it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies