Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:22:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith  (Read 4949 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »

I really, really want to know why BRTD obsesses over Catholics.

Bigotry, largely. As well, racism is a part of it. He's glad to see these immigrants assimilating into his white bread, suburban, hardcore vision for society.

...WTF?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:02 AM »

You mean American suburbs aren't full of Catholic churches? (Also note where Cathcon lives). Or that American Catholics aren't generally "whitebread"? I mean skim through the video to check out the congregation here (which is just the first video I found that had a whole Mass when you type "Catholic Mass" into YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQR0_xoM2Go That's as "whitebread" as it gets (not to mention old).

And what type of people send their kids to Catholic schools? It's obviously not urban hipsters or inner city poors. The Catholic high school in my hometown was also known as a "rich school".

Catholicism is not limited to the Midwest. Asians and Africans make up a large portion of the Catholic church. Arguably, they make up more of the church than the suburban white bread types because of their relative devotion.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »

If someone's going to ignore the Catholic hierarchy on social issues, there's no reason they can't ignore an evangelical church's positions on those too once converting. Kind of the point I made here:

And I fail to see why belonging to an evangelical church and supporting gay marriage is more hypocritical than supporting gay marriage and belonging to a Catholic church, even if it's assumed all evangelical churches are anti-gay.

In America at least, Protestants tend to take their faith more seriously and are more active and activist about it. They go to church more, are more conservative and vote more GOP. Dealing with such large and varied groups it is only useful to speak in the broad sense because you will have exceptions everywhere.  The numbers remain that Hispanic protestants are more GOP than Catholics. This has a generational effect too as the next generations are brought up in this more conservative milieu. 

I am not sure the point on the second post. Out of context, I don't see the hypocrisy.

From my personal view, I would be better for the Church to have marriage be a sacrament and as defined by it as man and wife etc...  Let govt's decide the laws of the land and stay out of it.

At least part of this is due to the broader nature of the church. When doing polling average, one has to include both half-assed Catholics and the hardcore conservatives, but you don't have to do the same for evangelicals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies